Author Topic: a Constitutional right to pay for sex?  (Read 3480 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
a Constitutional right to pay for sex?
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:12:37 PM »
If this succeeds, will it ever be enough to justify a trip to California?

WHEN LOVE ISN’T FREE:  http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/when-love-isnt-free-an-organization-representing-prostitutes-in-california-yes-you-read-that-r/#respond

An organization representing prostitutes in California (yes, you read that right) has filed a lawsuit http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2015/04/14/exclusive-prostitution-lawsuit-california-legalize.html?page=all  in a federal district court in San Francisco, arguing that the Supreme Court’s substantive due process “liberty” decisions–which protect the right of consenting adults to engage in sex in private–also protect the right of consenting adults to pay for sex.  If it’s legal to have sex, the plaintiffs argue, how can it be illegal to pay for it?  And relatedly they argue:  If a person can pay for dinner, wine, roses and other items as a prelude to sex, why not just offer to pay the sexual partner cash instead?
This kind of litigation was predictable after the Court’s decision in Lawrence v. Texas (recognizing the liberty of consenting adults to engage in private, homosexual sodomy), though the Lawrence Court did explicitly note that the case didn’t involve sex-for-hire.   Justice Scalia’s dissent in Lawrence presciently predicted that it would open the floodgates to challenges of traditional marriage laws, prostitution, polygamy, and even incest.
In August, a federal trial judge in Utah struck down that state’s polygamy ban http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/utah-judge-rules-favor-polygamist-family-sister-wives-n191021 , concluding that it violated the 1st Amendment free exercise of religion rights of the “Sister Wives” polygamist TV show family.  Ruling on First Amendment grounds, however, is much narrower than on substantive due process “liberty” grounds.  So the question remains:  Do the rest of us–who aren’t particularly religious–have a constitutional right to polygamy?  Stay tuned– a lesbian “throuple” (3 persons) in Massachusetts is openly defying that state’s anti-polygamy law, http://www.nationalreview.com/article/376709/odd-throuple-christine-sisto  claiming a right to polygamy.  
Polygamy aside, if we have a constitutional liberty to have sex, do we have a corresponding liberty to pay for sex?  Arguably, yes.  After all, doesn’t criminalization of prostitution demean the humanity and dignity of a person who has no romantic sexual partner? Or whose partner is physically unable to have sex with him/her?  Must that person seek out an adulterous or other third party “romantic” relationship, when all he/she really wants is sex?
One possibility the courts may use to distinguish prostitution is that it involves “commercialization” of sex, which is a distinction that still justifies legal prohibition of the sale/distribution of obscenity, but simultaneously allows individuals to consume/possess obscene materials in the privacy of their own home (Stanley v. Georgia).   But then again, if prostitution occurs in private– and particularly, in a private home (as opposed to a commercial establishment, such as a brothel), one would think the privacy-of-the-home rationale of Stanley could similarly grant constitutional protection to in-home prostitution.
Should the courts be “constitutionalizing” these sexual activities, or allow the political process to play out?  One state, Nevada, has statutorily allowed prostitution in certain places, pursuant to state regulation.
Being a libertarian, I see the policy arguments for enacting statutes like Nevada’s.  But being a constitutionalist, I think there are some democratic dangers to giving unelected federal judges the power to constitutionalize every “liberty” claim, which cuts short the political debate inherent with legislative change.  And the mother in me (which is inherently conservative) –with a teenage daughter– gets a little worried when I think of a world in which prostitution and polygamy are legal.  The times, they are a-changin.’

[popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: a Constitutional right to pay for sex?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:30:22 PM »
I support allowing two or more consenting adults to pretty much do what ever they damn well please so long as no one is harmed and non-participants don't get forced to otherwise be involved.

Underage sex slavery and other non-consensual stuff and the like should be punished extremely harshly.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 10:31:51 PM »
Wow. Who could have seen this coming!?

Oh. Right. Scalia.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 08:58:59 AM »

I'm not overly fond of prostitution, but do believe it should be legalized for public safety, let alone the obvious constitutional grounds. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 09:05:45 AM »
Will we then see Homosexual activists sue to force people to have sex with them for money? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 10:03:29 AM »
I'm not overly fond of prostitution, but do believe it should be legalized for public safety, let alone the obvious constitutional grounds. 

This, then you can force them to collect "entertainment" taxes.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »
I support allowing two or more consenting adults to pretty much do what ever they damn well please so long as no one is harmed and non-participants don't get forced to otherwise be involved.

Underage sex slavery and other non-consensual stuff and the like should be punished extremely harshly.

I would argue that even harm, when done by consenting adults, is ok.  How dare the state interfere with the arrangement between consenting adults?
 Hookers will start carrying consent forms lol

Will we then see Homosexual activists sue to force people to have sex with them for money? 

Only when seeking prostitution...you won't be able to refuse the services of a same sex hooker?  :rofl:

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »
Only when seeking prostitution...you won't be able to refuse the services of a same sex hooker?  :rofl:
You have to admit that the precedents would apply.  If service providers are not allowed to refuse service, then they are not allowed to refuse service. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 11:20:58 AM »
These sorts of decisions are best made at the state and local level by their polities as modifications to common law crime and enforcement.  Making it a constitutional matter will bring a multitude of unintended consequences.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 11:26:46 AM »
These sorts of decisions are best made at the state and local level by their polities as modifications to common law crime and enforcement.  Making it a constitutional matter will bring a multitude of unintended consequences.

Which boils down to the original framework of the constitution.  Our country wasn't built on the principle of making all manners of things illegal at the federal level, or "constiutionalizing" things. However, at some point, arguments that can't be resolved at the state level are elevated to the supers for them to make that call.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 11:42:01 AM »

When you say "for public safety", I'm assuming that you mean that the government would have some sort of controls. Bad idea. It's sex, not air traffic control. Nevada's regulations on the prostitution business actually ruined it, which is why the high-end hookers still operate illegally.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 12:09:04 AM »
When you say "for public safety", I'm assuming that you mean that the government would have some sort of controls. Bad idea. It's sex, not air traffic control. Nevada's regulations on the prostitution business actually ruined it, which is why the high-end hookers still operate illegally.

Yep - it's a service that has to actually gain something from regulators if there's ever to be hope of regulation.

I can't fathom what a regulator might offer.  Maybe identity protection and tax concessions for participating in safety checks?  Something like a government issued hooker id that lets you set up bank and credit accounts with no connection to your real name?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 12:35:06 AM »
Yep - it's a service that has to actually gain something from regulators if there's ever to be hope of regulation.

I can't fathom what a regulator might offer.  Maybe identity protection and tax concessions for participating in safety checks?  Something like a government issued hooker id that lets you set up bank and credit accounts with no connection to your real name?

I'm not in favor of any sex-work regulation (aside from age, consent, and other obvious stuff), but I would think the prostitute (or her pimp) might lose some business if the gub'mint ain't checked her for STDs (if the gub'mint started doing such). On the other hand, how many "Johns" are going to bother to check?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 12:50:57 AM »

I'm not in favor of any sex-work regulation (aside from age, consent, and other obvious stuff), but I would think the prostitute (or her pimp) might lose some business if the gub'mint ain't checked her for STDs (if the gub'mint started doing such). On the other hand, how many "Johns" are going to bother to check?

Just the 'promise' of a clean prostitute would draw quite a few more Johns to legitimate establishments, I think, and in order to advertise and such, they'd have to be legit.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 01:21:56 AM »
Bah never mind
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog