Author Topic: Study: Walk a little faster, and you could survive a tsunami  (Read 872 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Study: Walk a little faster, and you could survive a tsunami
« on: April 16, 2015, 09:14:27 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/04/15/study-walk-little-faster-and-could-survive-tsunami/

Please do read the link.  I want to know if you agree that this is the most useless information I have seen offered under a headline in quite a while.  X number of people live within Y distance of high ground.  If they move faster, they will reach high ground faster.   :facepalm:  Really?  Maybe running would be useful or a bicycle. 

It is one of those headlines that seems like it might provide useful information, but really doesn't.  Sort of like a political speech. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Study: Walk a little faster, and you could survive a tsunami
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »
Drive slower and use less gas.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:14:24 AM »
I think it may be all the people who hated written math problems.

"A tsunami is going to hit in 30 minutes.  Suzy has to get to high ground 1.5 miles away.  How fast must Suzy walk to reach high ground before the tsunami hits?"

I start to wonder if the movie Idiocracy had it wrong.  It won't take 500 years to reach that point. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 12:46:35 PM »
I for one, am impressed by the study results.  Thanks to Lead author Nathan Wood, a geographer for the U.S. Geological Survey in Portland, Oregon, and the rest of the study team we now have peer-reviewed scientific findings that bear out the validity of the old wives' tale supposition that walking faster than the tsunami tidal wave in order to get to ground higher than that wave will inundate the landmass will usually result in not being drowned by the tidal wave.

Without this scientific study people would remain conflicted about whether it was worth the effort to walk faster to safety and perhaps lose the equivalent of several person-months of sleep worrying about what to do should a tsunami tidal wave be coming.  Now they can rest easy on that score and go back to obsessing over who will win the next round of America's Dancing With People Who Someone Without Any Taste Says Have Talent.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 12:58:10 PM »
In other news, they have determined that water is in fact wet.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?