Author Topic: Trigger Warning: I may disagree with your trigger warning  (Read 5519 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Trigger Warning: I may disagree with your trigger warning
« on: April 19, 2015, 02:52:58 PM »
http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/04/christina-hoff-sommers-gets-trigger-warnings-at-georgetown/

Ms. Sommers spoke at Georgetown on Thursday night and some students took it upon themselves to label the event with trigger warnings.

You have got to see the pictures.  Just wrap your head in duct tape and move all breakables before you look.  The one I like best is the person showing her warning to the camera as opposed to the other attendees.  Well, that and the expression of the person over her right shoulder.  That is not the face of a young man enjoying the rear view.

Please do not attempt to destroy my dream, which is that these persons leave the ivory towers of academe and enter the real world as soon as possible - and that I can watch cellphone video of the first dozen or so times they bump their noses on reality. =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Trigger Warning: I may disagree with your trigger warning
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't think they will ever stop with the BS. Reality and these snot nose brats are like oil and water. It's never going to mix.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 03:48:40 PM »
I'm just an old troglodyte so you'll have to educate me.  What is a "safe space"?  I gather it's somewhere that people who disagree with you are forbidden.  Is there a safe space for everybody else where the fragile hair-triggered snowflakes are forbidden?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 03:55:09 PM »
This stuff can't be real.  No way.  If it is real, I am going to be triggered.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 03:58:46 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't think they will ever stop with the BS. Reality and these snot nose brats are like oil and water. It's never going to mix.

Meh. It's probably just a fad. Years from now, we might look back and laugh at it. Or not.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 04:06:35 PM »
Trigger warning:  I've got to fart.  Don't want any of youse to be offended.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 04:10:13 PM »

Meh. It's probably just a fad. Years from now, we might look back and laugh at it. Or not.

It will be a "fad" I suppose, as soon enough of society is sick enough of them to tell them to shut the hell up, or at the very least ignore them. People who appease them out of political correctness, or even those who just pat them on the head, only exacerbate the situation.

Ignoring them could be all it takes*. To paraphrase a comment at the URL, a couple of billion white males went to bed at night happy and woke up happy, not giving the nitwits with the "death to white guys" or whatever signs, a thought.

* I realize I'm as guilty as anyone when I post similar "look at the imbecile" threads here.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 05:06:23 PM »
I'm just an old troglodyte so you'll have to educate me.  What is a "safe space"?  I gather it's somewhere that people who disagree with you are forbidden.  Is there a safe space for everybody else where the fragile hair-triggered snowflakes are forbidden?

Right here, dude.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 05:18:32 PM »

Safe space = Safe harbor for the pussies so their feelz don't get hurt.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »
Lol.

Poking the white male is a lot of fun, but luckily they have thick skin....poke a minority hard enough and neighborhoods burn, poke a white man hard enough and enture continents burn.

That whole running water thing along with sewage treatment which is one of the pillars of civilization happens all by itself.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 05:42:09 PM »
poke a minority hard enough and neighborhoods burn, poke a white man hard enough and enture continents burn.

All sorts of good stuff worth keeping in a quotes file.

"I am honky, hear me roar."

That whole running water thing along with sewage treatment which is one of the pillars of civilization happens all by itself.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 06:34:06 PM »
"Trigger warning."

Is that along the lines of a "clitoris alert?"      :-*
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 08:07:57 PM »
It will be a "fad" I suppose, as soon enough of society is sick enough of them to tell them to shut the hell up, or at the very least ignore them. People who appease them out of political correctness, or even those who just pat them on the head, only exacerbate the situation.

Ignoring them could be all it takes*. To paraphrase a comment at the URL, a couple of billion white males went to bed at night happy and woke up happy, not giving the nitwits with the "death to white guys" or whatever signs, a thought.

* I realize I'm as guilty as anyone when I post similar "look at the imbecile" threads here.

Fads end when the fashionable folks move on to the next fad.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 10:12:21 AM »

Fads end when the fashionable folks move on to the next fad.
Now there's a scary thought.  What are these twits going to come up with next?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 10:47:35 AM »
Now there's a scary thought.  What are these twits going to come up with next?

Well, they keep trying to get us to go to war with Russia over Putin's treatment of Russian pervs (World War G).  I think that this particular fashion fetish still has some metastasizing to do. 

World War T(ranny) is already in the works and getting some traction.  After that, perhaps World War P(olygamy) or World War P(ederasty).
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 12:46:39 PM »
Lol.

Poking the white male is a lot of fun, but luckily they have thick skin....poke a minority hard enough and neighborhoods burn, poke a white man hard enough and enture continents burn.

Tis a shame I wasn't there.  I'd be going around asking them if they had a "Final Solution" for the white male problem...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 01:27:24 PM »
Tis a shame I wasn't there.  I'd be going around asking them if they had a "Final Solution" for the white male problem...

The responses would have been epic!  And much highlariousness would have ensued I am sure.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 01:55:57 PM »

Watch out. The crazy style man hating rad fems will have an answer to that one, and they aren't shy about it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 03:12:43 PM »
Watch out. The crazy style man hating rad fems will have an answer to that one, and they aren't shy about it.

I'm sure they do.  I would want to see if the catch the reference, and if so, are they REALLY willing to cross that Rubicon....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 03:41:31 PM »
I'm sure they do.  I would want to see if the catch the reference, and if so, are they REALLY willing to cross that Rubicon....

I would bet at least 50% would have no clue as to the reference.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 03:47:21 PM »
I would bet at least 50% would have no clue as to the reference.
How many of those that did would claim that it never happened?  Or those that didn't after it was explained?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 06:19:56 PM »

The really rabid ones probably wouldn't mind the reference. When it comes to killing off the evil patriarchy they will stoop to anything.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »
The really rabid ones probably wouldn't mind the reference. When it comes to killing off the evil patriarchy they will stoop to anything.

Rabid feminists are already comfortable with their support of killing a class of innocent people, the difference in adding other classes of unwanted people is merely an exercise in semantics.

Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 07:02:38 PM »

People in Germany-dominated parts of Europe don't even get the reference.  Several years ago, while talking to a customer, who was from Belgium, I made a reference to a technical solution being our final solution.  It was totally innocent and a mistake on my part.  If the guy caught it, he didn't say anything.  I even mentioned it to the British sales engineer, also on the call, and he didn't notice it.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 07:14:15 PM »
People in Germany-dominated parts of Europe don't even get the reference.  Several years ago, while talking to a customer, who was from Belgium, I made a reference to a technical solution being our final solution.  It was totally innocent and a mistake on my part.  If the guy caught it, he didn't say anything.  I even mentioned it to the British sales engineer, also on the call, and he didn't notice it.

Chris

Huh, they did nazi that coming.  I never thought if that as a way of trolling Germans... but the wheels are definately turning now.

Barack Obama