Author Topic: Trigger Warning: I may disagree with your trigger warning  (Read 5520 times)

dm1333

• friend
Re: Trigger Warning: I may disagree with your trigger warning
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 07:40:20 PM »
I'm just an old troglodyte so you'll have to educate me.  What is a "safe space"?  I gather it's somewhere that people who disagree with you are forbidden.  Is there a safe space for everybody else where the fragile hair-triggered snowflakes are forbidden?

Yes.  The Marine Corps!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »
People in Germany-dominated parts of Europe don't even get the reference.  Several years ago, while talking to a customer, who was from Belgium, I made a reference to a technical solution being our final solution.  It was totally innocent and a mistake on my part.  If the guy caught it, he didn't say anything.  I even mentioned it to the British sales engineer, also on the call, and he didn't notice it.

Language barrier, perhaps? He may not be as familiar with "the Final Solution," in English. Unless y'all were both speaking Walloon.

(Awesome. I got to use "Walloon" in a sentence.)

Speaking of conflicting "triggers;" why don't we see more counter-triggers? For instance:

"When you doubt the validity of the Iraq war, it suggests that my friends put their lives at stake for nothing. It triggers me."

"Since many of my co-religionists have been sued, arrested, or otherwise discriminated against for their beliefs, your support for homosexuality triggers me."

Other examples will occur to you.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:32:18 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 01:50:44 PM »
I'm just tired of everyone using the word "trigger". This is a microaggression aimed at gun owners. So is "aimed", so I just microaggressed myself.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 02:44:47 PM »
All these microagressions and trigger warning 'tards remind me of the Knights Who Say Ni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQfGd3G6dg
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 03:06:34 PM »

Language barrier, perhaps? He may not be as familiar with "the Final Solution," in English. Unless y'all were both speaking Walloon.

(Awesome. I got to use "Walloon" in a sentence.)

His English was pretty good, as is the case with most of the people I've worked with in that part of the world.  Only Spanish and Italian coworkers have a poor grasp of English (though much better than my grasp of Spanish and Italian).  Maybe he didn't get it or maybe he realized I didn't mean it in the context of genocide (unless it was a genocide against technical issues, against which I'd gladly fire up the showers).

Chris

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2015, 07:36:09 PM »
I do not understand this new parlance of "trigger warnings" and feel offended by it.

<goes off to dry fire 1911> 
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"