Author Topic: Best sport bike under $10k?  (Read 11345 times)

Smith

• friend
Best sport bike under $10k?
« on: March 05, 2005, 04:06:44 AM »
I am a true beginner, but I think I would be very careful and would be responsible enough to buy a real sport bike from the onset, rather than a junker and then move up.  Ultimately I'd like to take it through mountain passes and all the other things that sport bike guys like to do.  I haven't found a good, non-biased bike forum yet, or one that is not brand specific...so, if your limit was $10k, what would you choose, and why?

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 04:28:13 AM »
After passing a test, uk one is better than the joke in the US btw, I rode a gsxr400 for 2 weeks, got bored bought a cbr600 98 model. Should cost you about 3k and will be way better than you, really. Spend the rest on fairings when you crash, and you will crash. If you are not prepared to set fire to your money because, trust me on this, when you crash it will burn a lot of cash then try a cb500 for six months then flog it and trade up. If you think my choices are a bit wussy then by all means by a fireblade and be one of thoe fellows with all the gear and no idea. Even now after many years I only ride a little GSXR750 (with a yoshi exhaust, pc3usb and 6hrs of dyno time admitedly), funny thing is those blades and r1's don't seem to get away :twisted: .

In summary, the cbr 6 will look after you, there are many of them so repairing or replacing it should be cheaper. They do 150mph so they are not slow. The handling can only be described as excellent. Use bridgestones. The residuals are excellent so IF it survives it's time with you you do not lose too much.

Do spend $1500 on leathers, gloves, boots and a decent lid. I've trashed mine three times now and walked away with it hanging off me in strips. Do keith codes school or similar. Best money you can spend because right now I gaurantee you have no idea how your bike goes round corners. Would you buy a huge gun without some idea of how to safely use it?

okay lecture over, have fun, buy cbr6 and if you're not a total numpty you should be ok. My first three years of riding cost me about £25000 in repairs and new bikes but I refused to learn so some of that was my fault. Okay all of it was my fault, my bike dealership was like a crack dealer.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

Smith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 04:38:30 AM »
Yes, I plan to go to a few schools right at the onset, before I buy.  I was thinking CBR600 but I want everyone's unbiased view.  I already plan on buying the best leathers and protective equipment.

You need to be a little more careful with your lectures until you know it's deserved.  Oh, and work on your grammar skills.  Your first sentence is unreadable.

motorep

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 02:13:40 PM »
Suzuki SV650. It's got a killer engine, easier to ride than a 600 in-line 4. I wouldn't recommend a hardcore sportbike for a new rider. Even if you take the best schools available, you still need to learn how to ride in the real, day-to-day world. With 10G to spend you could buy a slightly used R1 or Gixxer 1000 but the odds of your continued existence would diminish...You can have a great time on the Suzuki, or a maybe a Ducati Monster.

johnster999

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 08:35:43 PM »
Second the SV650.

Black92LX

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 08:41:07 PM »
GSXR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But my dreams they aren't as empty
As my conscience seems to be
I have hours, only lonely
My love is vengeance
That's never free

Darkmind

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 11:45:45 PM »
In 2001 I started rideing for the first time on an 01 Honda F4I 600cc.  Within a week of rideing I was feeling very comfortable on it.  Nowadays an 01 F4I can be had for about 2 to 3K depending on its condition.  I still have that bike and she still runs like a champ, she'll do 156 tops on a good day.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

SEMPER FI

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 08:49:53 AM »
Heehee, fair point on the grammer, I was rushed for time.  
You said you were a complete newcomer so you got the condensed version of the "don't kill yourself or bankrupt yourself by being as daft as I was" lecture. Sorry if it grated but how was I supposed to know what you did or didn't know? cheesy

Ignore my price guesstimates, I forget that we pay two - three times more than you guys for bits and bikes.

I forgot the SV650, fine little bike.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

GreenFurniture

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 02:48:23 AM »
Triumph Thruxton.

or you could always get an older ZX6-R.
Drink your Kool-Aid, follow me.

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 04:01:21 AM »
All the bikes mentioned above are not for beginners, especially the GSXR.  Really cool second bikes, but not for newbies - I don't care how careful or responsible you are, you will drop the bike at stop signs, drop it in the garage, and just do generally stupid things even if you don't crash.  (Don't ask me about an incident involving stepping on a discarded juice box at a stop sign).  Get a cheap bike to learn on, that can get dropped without you having to worry about how much that fairing repair is going to cost you.

I bought a Kawasaki Ninja 500 (EX500) and was still worried that it had too much power for me as a beginner.  That bike will still out-accelerate a Corvette and do over 120MPH without any trouble.

Do yourself a favor and buy a used smaller bike and upgrade to a better bike after a year of mistakes and learning.  Your insurance rates will be much cheaper too.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 08:46:51 AM »
if you absolutely refuse to get a good beginners bike like the GS500 or EX500, then consider a good intermediate bike like the SV650 or NT650.  
If you don't want a good beginners bike consider one of the more friendly sportbikes such as the Honda F2 or F3, they are nice bikes, which can go quite fast, but you can pick up a good condition one for cheap, and low side it until you know WTF you are doing.

Then once you have the experience under your belt, then get an R6...the black one... or a CBR600RR...the black one.  Actually any of the 600 cc super sport bikes from the big 4 will be under 10k and blow your socks off.

atek3

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 11:09:40 AM »

motorep

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 02:58:03 PM »
Not "Sport(ster)" bike....

P95Carry

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 05:21:57 PM »
Suzuki SV 650 - gets my vote too.  My son had one from about '99 thru 2003 ... and has now gone to a cruiser.

That bike was the dog's **** bits ... superb handling, darned quick and as a package - awesome value.  He bought it new IIRC for about 6.5k ... and sold it for 3.5k - in all but new condition and only 6k miles on it.  The guy who bought it was onto a great deal.

I'd suggest - look out for one this spring ... and grab it up if a good specimen.  You will love it I am sure.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

LawDog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 03:57:04 AM »
Ninja 250, as long as you're not gorilla material.  Costs about 3k, brand new, and designed with the beginner in mind.

LawDog

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 02:47:53 AM »
If you buy used 10k can put you in dang near anything. Bear in mind that even the pros can barely ride top-end sports bikes to their maximum ability. Even if you ignore safety the fact is that there comes a point when you are spending money for "on paper" performance rather than actual street performance.

Just as food for thought look in the paper and see how many brand spanking new (but slightly damaged) high-end sport bikes appear for sale. Then realize that the people selling them were thinking the EXACT same thing that you are. New riders really have no concept of the absolute monstrous nature or true top shelf sport bikes. Every experienced rider in the world will tell you that you should start off with something more reasonable and every single one of them was a newbie at one point and learned the lesson first hand. WHy ignore the advice of people who know what they are doing? That is like getting a shooting lesson from Jerry Miculek and deciding that you know better.

Smith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 01:56:13 PM »
OK guys, I promise you have ALL made a good set of points with me.  If I wind up getting a bike you can rest assured I'll start with a beginner level bike first.  Smiley  Oh, and for the illiterate, it WON'T be a sportSTER.

atek3

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2005, 10:30:17 PM »
make sure and post pictures of your new bike.

atek3

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 10:00:07 AM »
UPDATE...UPDATE Smiley

atek3

Smith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2005, 03:47:26 AM »
Update:  I took the MSF course this past weekend and passed.  I'm looking for a bike, either a Ninja 500 or a Suzuki SV650.  I'm having trouble finding either right now for a decent price.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 07:54:43 AM »
I'd highly reccomend a monster 600 or if you think you can handle it the moster 900 for a naked bike
If you like plastic like me a 900SS or 851/888   You could probably find a 1995 916 give or take a year under 10K too.

If you can adjust the valves on a DOHC inline 4 you can maintain a Ducati without any trouble.
Personally I think its a myth that they cost more. They do if you refuse to touch it and pay someone else to maintain it.

But my personal opinion is that you should never ride a motorcycle you can't maintain or even rebuild if you had to.
I wouldn't fly a plane I couldn't repair or know how everything works.  

JMHO
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 01:22:03 PM »
The Ninja is a lot of fun. Never rode the SV650.

Maybe a Hayabusa?  Tongue

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

atek3

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2005, 08:27:09 AM »
where do you live?  here in the bay area we've got SV650's coming out our ears.
Good SV650 Prices

atek3

Smith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2005, 04:07:09 PM »
Southeastern US

atek3

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2005, 04:23:13 PM »
you've got your license right?  fly out here, and ride it back... if you hustled you could get the an Iron butt award.
http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

atek3