Author Topic: Britons 'could be microchipped like dogs in a decade'  (Read 1950 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Britons 'could be microchipped like dogs in a decade'
« on: October 30, 2006, 08:50:02 AM »
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23372564-details/Britons+'could+be+microchipped+like+dogs+in+a+decade'/article.do
Human beings may be forced to be 'microchipped' like pet dogs, a shocking official report into the rise of the Big Brother state has warned.

The microchips - which are implanted under the skin - allow the wearer's movements to be tracked and store personal information about them.

They could be used by companies who want to keep tabs on an employee's movements or by Governments who want a foolproof way of identifying their citizens - and storing information about them.

The prospect of 'chip-citizens' - with its terrifying echoes of George Orwell's 'Big Brother' police state in the book 1984 - was raised in an official report for Britain's Information Commissioner Richard Thomas into the spread of surveillance technology.

The report, drawn up by a team of respected academics, claims that Britain is a world-leader in the use of surveillance technology and its citizens the most spied-upon in the free world.

It paints a frightening picture of what Britain might be like in ten years time unless steps are taken to regulate the use of CCTV and other spy technologies.

The reports editors Dr David Murakami Wood, managing editor of the journal Surveillance and Society and Dr Kirstie Ball, an Open University lecturer in Organisation Studies, claim that by 2016 our almost every movement, purchase and communication could be monitored by a complex network of interlinking surveillance technologies.

The most contentious prediction is the spread in the use of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology.

The RFID chips - which can be detected and read by radio waves - are already used in new UK passports and are also used the Oyster card system to access the London Transport network.

For the past six years European countries have been using RFID chips to identify pet animals.

Already used in America

However, its use in humans has already been trialled in America, where the chips were implanted in 70 mentally-ill elderly people in order to track their movements.

And earlier this year a security company in Ohio chipped two of its employees to allow them to enter a secure area. The glass-encased chips were planted in the recipients' upper right arms and 'read' by a device similar to a credit card reader.

In their Report on the Surveillance Society, the authors now warn: "The call for everyone to be implanted is now being seriously debated."

The authors also highlight the Government's huge enthusiasm for CCTV, pointing out that during the 1990s the Home Office spent 78 per cent of its crime prevention budget - a total of £500 million - on installing the cameras.

There are now 4.2 million CCTV cameras in Britain and the average Briton is caught on camera an astonishing 300 times every day.

This huge enthusiasm comes despite official Home Office statistics showing that CCTV cameras have 'little effect on crime levels'.

They write: "The surveillance society has come about us without us realising", adding: "Some of it is essential for providing the services we need: health, benefits, education. Some of it is more questionable. Some of it may be unjustified, intrusive and oppressive."

Yesterday Information Commissioner Richard Thomas, whose office is investigating the Post Office, HSBC, NatWest and the Royal Bank of Scotland over claims they dumped sensitive customer details in the street, said: "Many of these schemes are public sector driven, and the individual has no choice over whether or not to take part."

"People are being scrutinised and having their lives tracked, and are not even aware of it."

He has also voiced his concern about the consequences of companies, or Government agencies, building up too much personal information about someone.

He said: "It can stigmatise people. I have worries about technology being used to identify classes of people who present some kind of risk to society. And I think there are real anxieties about that."

Yesterday a spokesman for civil liberties campaigners Liberty said: "We have got nothing about these surveillance technologies in themselves, but it is their potential uses about which there are legitimate fears. Unless their uses are regulated properly, people really could find themselves living in a surveillance society.

"There is a rather scary underlying feeling that people may worry that these microchips are less about being a human being than becoming a barcoded product."

We'll be next.

BakerMikeRomeo

Re: Britons 'could be microchipped like dogs in a decade'
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 09:08:23 AM »
Yesterday a spokesman for civil liberties campaigners Liberty said: "We have got nothing about these surveillance technologies in themselves, but it is their potential uses about which there are legitimate fears. Unless their uses are regulated properly, people really could find themselves living in a surveillance society.

Hoo doggy, those British boys aren't afraid to take the hard-line are they? No siree bob, gonna lay down the LAW on Big Brother. Mmhm.

undecided

~GnSx

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 10:37:28 AM »
It'll be interesting to see whether or not the Brits put up with this indignity.  If ever there was a "line in the sand" not to be crossed by the Government, the surgical implantation of tracking devices is probably it.

I certainly hope the Brits have the will to fight this.  Time will tell.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 10:39:51 AM »
Boy, you all think I get grumpy when men tell me what to do, you should see me when the government tries it. Smiley

Seriously, for me, that's the line. Neither me nor anyone I'm responsible for will ever have one of those things installed.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 10:43:37 AM »
Do you think we were trying to tell you what to do in that other thread?  If so, sorry.  We weren't.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 10:46:06 AM »
Heh..that was supposed to be somewhat humorous, despite the hairy-legged man-hating stuff. Smiley

I was dead serious about the implants, though.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 10:47:27 AM »
I was telling her what to do, and she'd better get to it!  Or I'll, or I'll, I'll do somethin'!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 10:48:30 AM »
 grin

Taunt me again?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 11:36:50 PM »
Sad it is, the passing of a once noble peoples.

Of course, you all DO realize that day approaches when implantation of a chip into your body is unnecessary.  The vector will be in your morning toast and jam. Better yet, in your mother's milk.  A few days of an itchy rash on the scalp that lays down a fine grid of ferrous metal trails hooked up to a simple protein data store.  Your very own personalized RFID tag, with you from before you could remember.  Just part of You, like hair color and body type.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 02:17:20 AM »
For those of you tsk tsk'ing the Brits, you might want to read again.  It's already being done in the US.  In the case of the two employees it's voluntary.  (Do it or you're fired.)  In the case of the 70 "elderly mentally disabled adults" their legal guardians made the decision. 

I suspect the next step will be to chip prisoners.  There will be religious objections, but I'm betting most Americans will go along with it because they're criminals.

Then you'll have parents doing it to protect their children from evil kidnappers ...

Security.  That's how you get'em.  Airport employees.  Bank employees.  Police.  Guards (prison, nuclear power plant guards, whatever).  They'll get it for their jobs. 

Companies will love it.  "Joe spends more time in the bathroom than anybody else.  Here's the proof.  He got the chips in everyone for security / timeclock access, but every since we secretly put a tracker pickup at the bathroom door the trend has been clear."

It will happen.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 03:35:43 AM »
This is likely to be phased in.  Chip will be implanted at birth.  For adults it will be a choice, no government check if no chip, or no National Health Service if no chip.

Will take another generation before U.S. does it.

BTW, anyone else remember the chortling that Big Media did about how Tim McVeigh was ranting about RFID chips to be implanted in humans?  "Ho, ho, ho, could never happen, proves how loony those people are, heh, heh, heh."
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Green Lantern

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 09:40:05 AM »
God save the quee - British subjects.... Sad

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 09:43:11 AM »
Remember, remember the 5th of November.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 10:56:56 AM »
Ideally it'll come with a coupon for free or reduced -price spay and neutering at government clinics.

Starting with immigrants.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 12:42:29 PM »
Just last week I had a rathering disturbing reminder of the primacy of the state and 'society' over the indivigual.  A hold was put on my law school registration until I could prove I had my shots.  The basic shots I needed to go to public school, public college, and private college (as they, like all colleges, recieve federal funding).  I was one day from being kicked out of school because the copy my undergrad sent didnt have page two copied.  Perhaps a topic for another rant, but I agree, creeping creeping incrimental advancement and expansion.  We already have armed checkpoints (for drunks and insurance paper verifications) and coerced vaccinations which require no true justification (Supreme Court ruling rejected that the state prove the value over the risk).  All and all, I don't doubt the chip shall be shortly coming.

I mean, children on leashes is a common sight.  Gov. requires us to have shots and the common man looks on you as crazy for being indignant about being treated like a dog. 

I think I need a good belly rub.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 09:16:10 AM »
Remember, remember the 5th of November.

The day on which the British people celebrate the failure of an attempt to fight the oppression of their government?