Author Topic: Enders game novel vs short story  (Read 532 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Enders game novel vs short story
« on: May 02, 2015, 10:16:10 PM »
Just finished orson scott cards enders game short story.  Having read the novel i generally knew what to expect.  Otoh, where the novel goes in greater depth and takes its time the short story hits like a ton of bricks and even if you have read the novel it is stunning.

Do go and read the short story.  I can point you to an electronic copy if need be.  Rats desecrated all my paperbacks and i had to find a new copy.

As for the enders game movie i think they made a grave error basing it on the novel and subtracting.  After reading the short story they had everthing necessary already.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ned Hamford

• friend
Re: Enders game novel vs short story
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:10:14 AM »
I don't think the story works as well when you subtract the torture and child on child murder.  Subtract swear words with childish booger references all you like, but war is hell and 'the chosen one' for interstellar is the kid who instinctively knows to kill the giant by biting through his eye; but remains sociable enough to be a general leader.    The reason Peter failed in being selected for the the role is he had part one without part two. 

[Wow, first sentence, those are some thoughts to immortalize on the internet]
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:38:17 AM »
I have never read the short story but the novel always struck me as a short story jammed into a novel format.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:51:32 AM »
I don't think the story works as well when you subtract the torture and child on child murder.  Subtract swear words with childish booger references all you like, but war is hell and 'the chosen one' for interstellar is the kid who instinctively knows to kill the giant by biting through his eye; but remains sociable enough to be a general leader.    The reason Peter failed in being selected for the the role is he had part one without part two. 

One quibble: At worst those were episodes of manslaughter. He didn't intend to kill them, just hurt them enough to send a signal. Unfortunately, as a child, he was unable to gauge just how much force he was applying.

Peter failed because he WAS willing to murder people. Ender was not- it was just an unfortunate consequence of trying to stop them.

It's the idea of shooting to stop or shooting to kill. Ender did what was necessary to stop the threat. (Sometimes that would involve killing). Peter would have killed to stop the threat, whether or not that was necessary.

A fine distinction, yes, but I think important. It wasn't "remaing sociable", it was a matter of the heart. (Remember, they had an implant reading his thoughts... Card never really got into that, but THAT was some freaky tech he never fleshed out.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought