Author Topic: science makes me happy once more  (Read 768 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
science makes me happy once more
« on: May 09, 2015, 11:14:17 PM »
http://www.universityherald.com/articles/18832/20150508/dark-chocolate-may-make-people-more-alert-attentive.htm

New research suggests that dark chocolate people more attentive, enabling them to beat the midday slump.

Researchers at Northern Arizona University found that chocolate can increase brain characteristics of attention and significantly affect blood pressure levels. Historically, chocolate has been recognized as a vasodilator, meaning that it widens blood vessels and lowers blood pressure in the long run, but chocolate also contains some powerful stimulants.

Like Us on Facebook

"Chocolate is indeed a stimulant and it activates the brain in a really special way," Larry Stevens, a professor of psychological sciences at NAU, said in a statement. "It can increase brain characteristics of attention, and it also significantly affects blood pressure levels."

For the study, researchers examined the acute effects of chocolate on attentional characteristics of the brain and the first-ever study of chocolate consumption performed using electroencephalography on more than 100 volunteers between the ages of 18 and 25 years old. The researchers examined the EEG levels and blood pressure effects of consuming a 60 percent cacao confection compared with five control conditions.

Yes, it's basically "Well, duh!" but it never hurts to have science on your side.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: science makes me happy once more
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 11:53:01 PM »
I used to use a pinch of Acccent (pure MSG) to reboot my brain before important meetings where I really had to be sharp as a tack but was not feeling 100%*.

Used judiciously, it was a brain booster, otherwise it would give me a headache. Also unfortunately, MSG in any snacks or foods containing it (and a lot do, under disguised names) would keep me awake at night, with my brain running like a buzz saw.

I have no doubt that MSG or derivatives are in a lot of those brain boosters you can buy OTC.

Terry, 230RN

* Usually, but not always, due to the aspirin I take for arthritis.  Aspirin can dull your thinking quite a bit.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 10:26:16 AM »
dark chocolate people

I think they accidentally a word there.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 04:11:37 PM »
So according to recent research the plan is eat dark chocolate, bacon, drink coffee, stare at boobs, live forever. Life is shaping up nicely.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.