Author Topic: Are you a highly sensitive person?  (Read 1263 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Are you a highly sensitive person?
« on: May 14, 2015, 02:31:10 PM »
http://hsperson.com/test/highly-sensitive-test/

2:  startle easily (kind of a given what with the PTSD) & strong reaction to being hungry (I go eat).

Anybody more of a trogdolyte than that?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Are you a highly sensitive person?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 02:45:23 PM »
"startle easily" can mean a lot of things.  I imagine everyone puts their own twist to what they get startled by. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »
Complete opposite of skid. 18. Yeah, yeah, I got issues.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 05:12:23 PM »
There should be a trigger warning on this thread and the link.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I got 6. 
I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment. (Yeah, I try to put things away where they belong, if something isn't in it's place...I have a 14 year old...)
I am deeply moved by the arts or music.  (Good Art and Music, not most of the crap out there today)
I am annoyed when people try to get me to do too many things at once. (Because they tend to be conflicting orders)
I am conscientious. (Goes with the one below.  Since when did doing a crap job and screwing it up become a good thing?)
I try hard to avoid making mistakes or forgetting things.
Being very hungry creates a strong reaction in me,disrupting my concentration or mood. (Yeah, I 'm hungry.  Feed me and I'm content and ready to work.)

None of which makes me some delicate snowflake or shrinking violet.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 05:56:30 PM »
I become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is going on around me.

What the herk is "unpleasantly aroused"? Is this a state I should have heard of before?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 06:34:44 PM »
Most of those test items I could answer two ways, depending on whether I recalled my working days or my retirement days... although most of my stress level while I was working was due to the commute.

Then I saw this:

Click here to learn about the Foundation for The Study of Highly Sensitive People and how you can contribute.

Aha!  

'Nuff said, and I clicked out of it.  So I guess that makes me totally insensitive.

Terry Of the Suspicious, but not quite Paranoid Nature, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 06:39:46 PM »
Complete opposite of skid. 18. Yeah, yeah, I got issues.

I think it's how you deal with issues rather than how many you have.  Look carefully at the issues I don't have - I scare psychologists and psychiatrists into demanding security staff (in 2s or 3s) be in the room with me because of where I score on the "Are you a psychopath?" tests.

While in truth I'm just a big pussycat.  A hulking, 9-foot slobbering pussycat with 6-inch fangs and 8-inch claws and a raging case of mange. :angel:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:03:13 PM »
Easily startled? Yep, you get that way after working day in, day out with poisonous asplody or pyrophoric materials.
Conscientious? Yep. See above.

Unpleasantly aroused? I don't even know what that means :lol:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 08:12:33 PM »
^ I guess if you bought skivvies that are too tight when the stimulus appears?

<Terry runs and hides>
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 08:26:17 PM »
I am made uncomfortable by loud noises.

Sure - in fact, sometimes I not only use earmuffs, but earplugs as well around gunfire.    :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 09:01:10 PM »
Arousal is a physiological and psychological state of being awake or reactive to stimuli. It involves the activation of the reticular activating system in the brain stem, the autonomic nervous system and the endocrine system, leading to increased heart rate and blood pressure and a condition of sensory alertness, mobility and readiness to respond.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 08:25:54 AM »

Like that tells me anything I didn't already know.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 10:07:49 AM »
I clicked 7 but easily could've done a few more.  Guess you get what you pay for.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 04:36:33 AM »
In AA I learned that one of my character flaws was that I was sensitive and I needed to ask help from a higher power on this.
So, one day I was walking with my girlfriend thru down town San Francisco and this smelly bum got in front of us asking for change and blocking our way- I guided my GF around him positioning myself in between so I was closest to him and he said "I'm not going to hurt you"  and I said "I know you're not, you can't hurt me, if you even dreamed of it I would leave you on the ground crying in agony"
My GF said "Chris, you're being so insensitive" and I replied .... "only with God's help" :angel:
I got 16
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 05:25:03 AM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 09:52:18 AM »
In AA I learned that one of my character flaws was that I was sensitive and I needed to ask help from a higher power on this.
So, one day I was walking with my girlfriend thru down town San Francisco and this smelly bum got in front of us asking for change and blocking our way- I guided my GF around him positioning myself in between so I was closest to him and he said "I'm not going to hurt you"  and I said "I know you're not, you can't hurt me, if you even dreamed of it I would leave you on the ground crying in agony"
My GF said "Chris, you're being so insensitive" and I replied .... "only with God's help" :angel:
I got 16

Ha!

People confuse sensitivity with empathy. Someone being highly empathetic can be highly sensitive, but someone who is highly sensitive isn't always highly empathetic.
A over reaction to a perceived potential threat is a sign of a pretty highly sensitive person. Not really a sign of being overly empathetic, but definitely a sign of sensitivity. The aggressive panhandlers on the Downtown Mall left me alone for the same reason. You just don't mess with the girl in a mini skirt and combat boots who responds to your bumming with a serious tone saying "*expletive deleted*ck Off Now!"

Also, this just made me think. All those woman who claim to want their guy (or guys in general) to be "more sensitive"? Yeah, they don't want you to be more sensitive. They want you to be more empathetic, at least to them.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 03:06:57 PM »
Am I highly sensitive? No, I am normally sensitive – sometimes more than others, and on some subjects more than others.  I already knew that even before reading the questions. The questions did not help me understand myself any better, and I doubt they would help a mental health professional understand me either. On many, maybe all of the questions, I suspect that the answer is controlled by the respondents self-perception rather than by fact.

Question: Are "artistic" people more sensitive, as many claim, or just self-centered?
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 03:34:16 PM »
And this seems like a "push" poll.  Where the questions are designed/worded to get you to answer a certain way.   If anyone answers truly, the vast majority would be "Sensitive", therefore there needs to be a "Special Snowflake" diagnosis so that one can loudly (and proudly) proclaim to the world their special snowflakeyness  and earn all the rights and privileges of a put-upon group.  (e.g.  Is yours a veteran, minority, woman, LGBTEIO-EIO, or Special Snowflake owned business?  Then move to the head of the line!!!)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 08:41:28 PM »
I only picked 5, there are half a dozen more I thought about.  Many of them are vague and could use more definition. 

There were several centered around a lot going on, a lot happening or loud noises. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 11:45:14 PM »
Also, this just made me think. All those woman who claim to want their guy (or guys in general) to be "more sensitive"? Yeah, they don't want you to be more sensitive. They want you to be more empathetic, at least to them.

WTF??  You couldn't have tipped me off to that 40+ years ago? :facepalm:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.