Author Topic: Maryland repeals "ballistic fingerprint" nonsense  (Read 1562 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Maryland repeals "ballistic fingerprint" nonsense
« on: May 13, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »
Link

Isn't there some other state still doing this? California?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Maryland repeals "ballistic fingerprint" nonsense
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:14:50 PM »
But what will they do with the millions previously budgeted for the program?  Return it to the taxpayers. [/whatever is the next step up from sarcastic]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:27:52 PM »
It seems they already figured that one out.

http://www.newsline.umd.edu/justice/gunprints031105.htm

That article's from ten years ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 06:44:07 AM »
I see they were debating it even then, but did not find anything about how/where the money for the program was going to be repurposed if/when they scrapped the program.  Help me out on that?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »
^
I see they were debating it even then, but did not find anything about how/where the money for the program was going to be repurposed if/when they scrapped the program.  Help me out on that?

Yeah, me too.  I thought I read something about it being repealed in the American Rifleman a couple of years ago.  I found two cartridge cases in the box I bought a semiauto in back about then.  Both in a nice little envelope with the caliber and serial number of the gun written on it.   I was going to recycle them, but kept them as souvenirs of a stupid law.  I wonder if I would have been breaking the law somehow if I had reloaded them.  Still got 'em, in fact.

Maybe the Rifleman's article referred to a different State, but I could swear it was Maryland.

Or maybe it was "repealed" by the legislative houses, but not signed by the Governor?

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 02:53:26 PM »
Tried to see how the non-gun public and anti-gun crowds are viewing this, it's pretty silent.  Decided even to see what the DU were saying about it, not a peep from them.  No brady bunch press releases(that I found).

Though I did see that there are at least some in the government who are desperately trying to say that the system didn't work due to lack of funding and 'improper' equipment(not enough detail on our scanner!), never mind that a gun fresh off the assembly line is more like it's siblings than it is to itself after a couple years of use.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 08:26:46 PM »
^
Though I did see that there are at least some in the government who are desperately trying to say that the system didn't work due to lack of funding and 'improper' equipment(not enough detail on our scanner!), never mind that a gun fresh off the assembly line is more like it's siblings than it is to itself after a couple years of use.

I always wondered about a lot of that forensic ballistics stuff, too.  I guess if you happen to get a match, OK.  But I'm sure after all my shooting, the barrel, the firing pin, the extractor, and maybe even the breech face would not match my gun with the two sample cases.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:58:20 PM »
^
I always wondered about a lot of that forensic ballistics stuff, too.  I guess if you happen to get a match, OK.  But I'm sure after all my shooting, the barrel, the firing pin, the extractor, and maybe even the breech face would not match my gun with the two sample cases.

Browsing around, they said that as little as 50 rounds could break a match.  A gun would not identify with itself 50 rounds later.

So I could get into a firefight, leave casings all over the place, head over to the range, dump a couple value packs through it, then have the police take it and they wouldn't be able to match anything.  Theoretically.

One of the things mentioned is that the first purchaser of a gun buys it to shoot it, generally speaking.  By the time it's stolen or sold into criminal hands, hundreds to thousands of rounds and cleanings have been done.  No match with the virgin casing sent to the government.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 09:18:27 AM »
nothing liberals have ever done makes any sense.  The purpose all along was intimidation and  control.  Well, that and imposing an additional layer of cost to the gun owner.

If you study liberals and their actions, you will come up with two valid and inescapable  conclusions.
A: liberalism is an outward and visible manifestation of severe mental illness, and
B:  was designed from the git go, to damage, and ultimately destroy America as we have known it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 10:49:14 AM »
Yes.  "Do something" is the motto.  "Do something that sounds good" is even better.  "Acomplish something useful" doesn't usually enter the picture and is coincidental if it occurs. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge