Author Topic: Average Reading Level of Popular Modern Music Lyrics  (Read 2101 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Average Reading Level of Popular Modern Music Lyrics
« on: May 19, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »
Interestingly, Country has the highest grade level. Not surprisingly, hip-hop has the lowest. I didn't do any searching, but it would be interesting to see how this has changed over the long term (like the last few hundred years).

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/05/the-lyrics-of-recent-no-1-singles-average-at-a-third-grade-reading-level/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Average Reading Level of Popular Modern Music Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:50:26 AM »
There is a few  good thinking's in the comment parts.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:01:08 AM »
I read the story earlier and I thought there was mention that it hasn't gotten any better over time.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 01:51:47 PM »
Lets just say that it's been pretty bad in some genres since before the 70's. A favorite song of mine is by "Bloodrock," The Texas based band that did "D.O.A." on the album Bloodrock 2. The song is "Fancy Space Odyssey" with lyrics like: "Livin' in a hoedown, just the blues and lowdown. The turnpike of time, in our every mind." "Tryin' to reach some rock engrossed in a silver Boston" "Dancin' in the strobe light, QT for another fight! Kill! Kill!" "I'm watching the world, that's watching us all." "Sally's on the cushion, squeezing like a push-on. All the kids are knocked out, on artifical rock-out."
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 03:53:43 PM »
*shrug* I'm betting once you get away from chart topping stuff, country and rock even out some and rap starts slipping down some grade levels.

However, pop is a lost cause.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 06:40:50 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 06:41:09 PM »
*shrug* I'm betting once you get away from chart topping stuff, country and rock even out some and rap starts slipping down some grade levels.

However, pop is a lost cause.

Is there any distinction left between "country" and pop?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 11:58:17 PM »

Is there any distinction left between "country" and pop?

From what I can tell, modern country is where the failed pop stars go to try and distinguish themselves. It's pop's bush league.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 12:49:33 AM »
From what I can tell, modern country is where the failed pop stars go to try and distinguish themselves. It's pop's bush league.

Taylor Swift would beg to differ, but I still think you're on to something.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 03:46:16 AM »

Taylor Swift would beg to differ, but I still think you're on to something.

Some good MLB baseball players came out of the bush leagues too.  Perhaps I should have said "wannabe pop stars who haven't yet figured out how to distinguish themselves in mainstream pop", but that's a bit of a mouthfull...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth