Author Topic: anthem nazi here again  (Read 1838 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
anthem nazi here again
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:59:50 AM »
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4246828471001/proud-american-teen-performs-incredible-anthem/?#sp=show-clips

Not even.  Not nohow.  No way.

Thank you for reading this rant.  You may now return to your meaningful activities.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: anthem nazi here again
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:07:16 AM »
"At the twilight's last ..." What? Not cool. IMHO he didn't so much "nail" the anthem as "murder" it.

Why can't people just follow the score the way it was written?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:14:52 AM »
A kindred spirit!  Where have you been all my life?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
Horst-Wessel Lied or Deutschlandlied?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 10:33:45 AM »
Horst-Wessel Lied or Deutschlandlied?

Not sure which one is the uber alles most popular.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »
thread redirect:   =D

http://www.inquisitr.com/2106808/ncaa-softball-fans-sing-impromptu-national-anthem-after-stadium-cancels-it-video/
NCAA Softball Fans Sing Impromptu National Anthem After Stadium Cancels It
They played it before an earlier game and weren't going to play it again.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 11:58:04 AM »
Why can't people just follow the score the way it was written?

Normally that's the only way I like it.  I do have to give Take Six a pass, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZe8aB7plU

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »
Totally off topic, but I've added a new item to the "If I suddenly became a billionaire"-list.

Pay a small country to officially change their national anthem to "Yakety Sax".

Finance an athlete to represent that country in an obscure, but winnable Olympic sport. Listen to Yakety Sax play when they get the gold medal.
I promise not to duck.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 12:23:43 PM »
Totally off topic, but I've added a new item to the "If I suddenly became a billionaire"-list.

Pay a small country to officially change their national anthem to "Yakety Sax".

Finance an athlete to represent that country in an obscure, but winnable Olympic sport. Listen to Yakety Sax play when they get the gold medal.

Billionaire, heck, I'd pitch-in a bit for that right now. Somebody start a GoFundMe campaign!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 12:43:21 PM »
 ???
How did "nazi" get into the heading of this thread? ? ? ? ? ?
The kid gave a pretty decent, but less than perfect, rendition of the National Anthem (which IS very hard to do well). 
Why bring "nazi" into this?   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »
???
The kid gave a pretty decent, but less than perfect, rendition of the National Anthem (which IS very hard to do well). 
Starting a thread and killing it in the same post is hard to do well also.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 01:04:21 PM »
Solomon Islands?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Islands

Solomon Islands Government was insolvent by 2002. Since the RAMSI intervention in 2003, the government has recast its budget. It has consolidated and renegotiated its domestic debt and with Australian backing, is now seeking to renegotiate its foreign obligations. Principal aid donors are Australia, New Zealand, the European Union, Japan, and the Republic of China.

Screw the aid.  Buy up their debt at pennies on the dollar.  Olympics participant - retrain their beach soccer team in beach volleyball.  Island fortress.  Even has a few volcanos for the sacrifice of virgins.  Introduce a few pigs onto the smaller islands.  Non-Muslim majority population.  The majority of Solomon Islanders are ethnically Melanesian (94.5%). Polynesian (3%) and Micronesian (1.2%) are the two other significant groups. There are a few thousand ethnic Chinese.

stay safe.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 01:10:44 PM »
When his voices changes, I'll bet it gets to be a better rendition.  On the other hand, he's singing the anthem not some foul, curse filled, misogynistic, whitey hating rap song.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 01:14:11 PM »
???

Because I hold the title as the Official APS National Anthem Nazi.  Someone else holds the title as Official APS Grammar Nazi.  It's a meme.  Get over it or ignore it.

Please explain the perameters of "decent" as you use it in your above critique.

Yes, the National Anthem is difficult to sing well - especially when sober (seeing as how it takes it's melody from an old drinking song).  [bitingly snarky comment removed in order to beat the moderators to it]

stay safe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 06:38:18 PM »
???

He butchered it, on purpose. Americans have, for the past few decades, been trained to believe that what came from his maw was good singing. It was actually how one is NOT supposed to sing, especially not an anthem or hymn. It is a style designed to draw attention to the performer and his vocal "talents." I suspect it is also meant to distract from a lack of ability. Furthermore, it makes the anthem sound like an R&B This-is-what-I'm-gonna-do-to-your-body-girl song, which gives discerning people a sad.

The young man should have been sent to bed w/o supper, as his parents hung their heads in shame.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 06:43:14 PM »
Because I hold the title as the Official APS National Anthem Nazi.  Someone else holds the title as Official APS Grammar Nazi.  It's a meme.  Get over it or ignore it.

Please explain the perameters of "decent" as you use it in your above critique.

Yes, the National Anthem is difficult to sing well - especially when sober (seeing as how it takes it's melody from an old drinking song).  [bitingly snarky comment removed in order to beat the moderators to it]

stay safe.

OK,  all I wanted was an explanation.   You provided one.    A weird one but, hey, it's APS,  right?

He butchered it, on purpose. Americans have, for the past few decades, been trained to believe that what came from his maw was good singing. It was actually how one is NOT supposed to sing, especially not an anthem or hymn. It is a style designed to draw attention to the performer and his vocal "talents." I suspect it is also meant to distract from a lack of ability. Furthermore, it makes the anthem sound like an R&B This-is-what-I'm-gonna-do-to-your-body-girl song, which gives discerning people a sad.

The young man should have been sent to bed w/o supper, as his parents hung their heads in shame.

Remind me never to post in thread that mentions the National Anthem in    the future..... :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 07:35:54 PM »

Remind me never to post in thread that mentions the National Anthem in    the future..... :facepalm:

Feel free to post away.

For personal reasons I have made it one of my missions in life to complain about how people butcher thje singing of the National Anthem.  I try to alert everyone that it is going to be one of my rants so that they can decide if they want to listen to the rendition I am complaining about or not.  From there folks are free to defend the singer against my irrational, nit-picking complaints.

Or, as in this case, pleasantly indicate that I am not in fact a voice alone crying in the wilderness.

stay safe.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 08:31:18 PM »

Accurate and concise. 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »
Normally that's the only way I like it.  I do have to give Take Six a pass, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZe8aB7plU

Nope.

The early part was passable, but they imploded near the end.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 10:25:17 PM »

The kid did NOT do a pretty decent rendition, he intentionally massacred the anthem.\

And the anthem isn't hard to sing well. All the singer has to do is follow the bouncing ball, and forgo the vocal embellishments.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 10:47:44 PM »
I do agree, Sing it drunk or hungover (as it is/was an old British drinking song) and sing it right.  It doesn't need your "personal style" or arrangement.  

And as Cordex pointed out, Germany at least had the decency to hire a true composer (Joseph Haydn) who really knew how to write music.   Die Horst Wessellied was the anthem of the Nazi party (not to be confused with either our Anthem Nazi nor Grammar Nazi.)    

Die Deutschlandlied ,actually only the third verse currently, is still the National Anthem of Germany.  Imagine my surprise when at the first function I attended where they played both national anthems.   :O :O :O :O  However, it is fairly easy to sing, even for non-singers as there are no screaming high notes, nor dramatic pitch changes.  It just flows...

Die Panzerlied is just as easy, especially when under the influence of morphine.  =D =D =D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:38:01 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 11:08:05 PM »
The kid did NOT do a pretty decent rendition, he intentionally massacred the anthem.\

And the anthem isn't hard to sing well. All the singer has to do is follow the bouncing ball, and forgo the vocal embellishments.

Well .... considering how some versions of it I've heard .....  :facepalm:   .....never mind...

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 03:51:19 AM »
I do agree, Sing it drunk or hungover (as it is/was an old British drinking song) and sing it right.  It doesn't need your "personal style" or arrangement.  

And as Cordex pointed out, Germany at least had the decency to hire a true composer (Joseph Haydn) who really knew how to write music.   Die Horst Wessellied was the anthem of the Nazi party (not to be confused with either our Anthem Nazi nor Grammar Nazi.)    

Die Deutschlandlied ,actually only the third verse is currently, is still the National Anthem of Germany.  Imagine my surprise when at the first function I attended where they played both national anthems.   :O :O :O :O  However, it is fairly easy to sing, even for non-singers as there are no screaming high notes, nor dramatic pitch changes.  It just flows...

Die Panzerlied is just as easy, especially when under the influence of morphine.  =D =D =D

Speaking of other countries anthems, I have no idea what they are singing but I've always liked how the Soviet national anthem sounded. Can't help but hum along with it in movies. :laugh:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 03:58:04 AM »
Speaking of other countries anthems, I have no idea what they are singing but I've always liked how the Soviet national anthem sounded. Can't help but hum along with it in movies. :laugh:

I once made the mistake of mentioning to one of my college professors that I liked some Russian songs (I think it's the fact they're often D minor, which I like for some reason). Anyway, dude thought I was also an admirer of communism (like he was) for a while after.  :facepalm:

I think he got a clue when I kicked his ass in an impromptu debate about the 9/11 conspiracy theories (did I mention he was a troofer? Yeah, he was a troofer).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 01:12:01 AM »
I'm gonna give this guy 4.99999 out of 5 stars!  The minor issues are probably only noticeable to a fetishist like me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=11&v=lta32yr-oWs

stay safe.