Author Topic: How to use science to win arguments  (Read 2923 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
How to use science to win arguments
« on: May 21, 2015, 01:53:26 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/science-backed-tactics-to-win-argument-2015-3?op=1

I used many of these techniques in resolving malpractice cases.  Medmal juries love experts, confidence, graphs/charts from the medical literature, consensus, and showing civility to opposing counsel and sympathy to the plaintiff.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: How to use science to win arguments
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 03:40:38 PM »
I wonder if the "scientific consensus" angle is getting a bad reputation with the global warming stuff using it so much.

I don't know that this is using "science" so much as good persuasion techniques.  I guess using the word "science" instead of persuasion is following his own advice. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 04:08:22 PM »
Venn Diagrams are the best.

I promise not to duck.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 04:50:30 PM »
Venn Diagrams are the best.

It's not that I am always right.  It's that I am less wrong than you significantly more of the time.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »
I wonder if the "scientific consensus" angle is getting a bad reputation with the global warming stuff using it so much.

What they REALLY hate is when you inform them the "97% of scientist" mantra is an intentional misquote. When quoted in its entirety the source material paints a dramatically different picture. Like about sixty percent less.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 05:31:14 PM »
It's not that I am always right.  It's that I am less wrong than you significantly more of the time.

stay safe.

I am going to have to use that one on the spousal unit.  Wish me luck!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 06:12:04 PM »
What they REALLY hate is when you inform them the "97% of scientist" mantra is an intentional misquote. When quoted in its entirety the source material paints a dramatically different picture. Like about sixty percent less.

Brad
Consensus and facts/figures always fall apart when the person trying to use them is a liar. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 11:22:50 PM »
My wife often tells me that other folks believe the opinions they hold to be correct as much as I know mine are.  I always have to remind her that there is one critical difference....I am right and they are wrong.  :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: How to use science to win arguments
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 04:25:20 AM »
My wife often tells me that other folks believe the opinions they hold to be correct as much as I know mine are.  I always have to remind her that there is one critical difference....I am right and they are wrong.  :P
Does it works that way when she is the one you're disagreeing with
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 07:06:40 AM »
What usually happens with my wife is that she'll ask me how to do something, I'll give her a basic how-to, she'll do it completely different and screw up what she's doing beyond recovery (and possibly injure herself and me and damage surrounding items and/or destroy tools).

That is of course my fault.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 08:20:46 AM »
What usually happens with my wife is that she'll ask me how to do something, I'll give her a basic how-to, she'll do it completely different and screw up what she's doing beyond recovery (and possibly injure herself and me and damage surrounding items and/or destroy tools).

That is of course my fault.

Sounds like the time I bought my wife her own tool set for household use.  While I was at work, she decided the stand mixer needed a good internal cleaning.  That thing had a metric Revload of gears!  The whole "project" wound up being dumped in the trash, and she got a new mixer.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 10:15:21 AM »
Sounds like the time I bought my wife her own tool set for household use.  While I was at work, she decided the stand mixer needed a good internal cleaning.  That thing had a metric Revload of gears!  The whole "project" wound up being dumped in the trash, and she got a new mixer.
Sounds like she wanted a new mixer.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »
Better yet, go for consensus.

"Scientists often use 'consensus' as the ultimate argument-winner, and for good reason," Jacquelyn Gill writes on Contemplative Mammoth. "Scientific consensus is the collected opinions of all scientists, and not just the one you're arguing with. There can be one or two scientists who disagree (just like there are a handful of people who don't believe the Holocaust happened), but if the vast majority of scientists have reached consensus, it means that there is so much evidence in support of an idea that it's basically a guaranteed thing, based on state-of-the-art knowledge."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/science-backed-tactics-to-win-argument-2015-3?op=1#ixzz3bAeNZEwk

Hmmm.

Like Global Warmingâ„¢ (a.k.a. Climate Changeâ„¢)? "Death to the heretics!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 01:24:07 PM »
Sounds like the time I bought my wife her own tool set for household use.  While I was at work, she decided the stand mixer needed a good internal cleaning.

Unfortunately, she was probably right.  Quite a few small appliances, even when cleaned to anal retentive housewife standards, get disturbingly filthy inside over a year or two.  IIRC, some of them had/have a gearbox that can be removed intact, then properly cleaned and relubed by whatever method.

Of course, now, the industry solution is to build them to wear out within a couple of years.  OTOH, we're still using the electric carving knife grandma bought in the 1970s.  I need to go fish her 1960s vintage can opener out of storage too, as I've gone through two "modern" electrics, four manual wheel-type ones, and my P-51 is starting to bend.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 02:42:46 PM »
I would have believed that article but it didn't use any graphs....
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »

If it was a 1950's or 1960's mixer, I'll start crying. I'm actually looking for one to tear down and refinish. Properly maintained they will last. Painted and polished right, they are works of art. Also, out of the box, they are packed solid with grease. Very very Ewww after even a couple years of service.

If anyone has old school blender, lemme know. I'll offer reasonable price.  =D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 09:58:09 PM »
Believe it or not, the higher end Kitchen Aid mixers are rebranded Hobarts. A buddy of mine serviced restaurant equipment for about 20 years, and taking care of those big mixers was a decent part of their business. There's a cosmetics company in NJ that's still using one that was built in the late 40's. Its mixing 20 gallon buckets at a time; but its the only thing that can do the job. If you want an older one as a project, watch craigslist for restaurants for sale, or business for sale. Often times you can pick out a piece of equipment.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 11:34:17 PM »
Yeah, I think she did want a new mixer.  That was in the late '80s, early 90's.  Gears were all over the place!  So was the grease; lubricating and otherwise.  Also, she likes tools, so she was probably very "in to the task".  Wound up getting one of them Kitchenaids out of the deal.  Still runnning to this day.  She likes to bake.

Re: tools.  She will happily take firearms or tools as gifts over baubles and jewelry.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 03:44:28 PM »
I have a kitchenaid now, and I love it.

I stopped using the bread machine after buying it.  Now I make bread the 'old' fashioned way using the oven.  I get better bread and it's only a little more work than dumping everything into the machine.

More recently I've started to diversify - working out how to make good Italian bread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 05:59:26 PM »
Well, the most important thing no matter what the argument is, and to use science is to have a hypothesis, a procedure, materials, results, a control, and a conclusion.

Oh, and a three paneled backboard.

I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 10:39:20 PM »
I can't tell what the conclusion sheet says on that poster board.  Is that a No or a Yes?   :facepalm:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 10:45:46 PM »
I can't tell what the conclusion sheet says on that poster board.  Is that a No or a Yes?   :facepalm:

A "No," obviously. When was the last time you saw any minorities in heaven?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 11:21:42 PM »
I like how there is what appears to be a thermometer and a beaker by the poster board.  That is how you know it is Real Science.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 12:14:33 AM »
I like how there is what appears to be a thermometer and a beaker by the poster board.  That is how you know it is Real Science.

And also Photoshop.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 12:48:44 AM »
Was picture taken at Adolf Hitler Junior High or George Wallace Middle School?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.