Author Topic: Easiest Way to Get a Monopoly (Da Gobment)  (Read 1118 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Easiest Way to Get a Monopoly (Da Gobment)
« on: November 02, 2006, 05:38:49 AM »
Billboard Company Sues NY Over Outdoor Sign Restrictions

New York Lawyer
November 1, 2006

By Samuel Maull
The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- A billboard company sued the city on Tuesday, saying a law that restricts private outdoor advertising near parks and highways while exempting the city's own commercial signs is illegal.

The lawsuit, filed by OTR Media Group Inc. in Manhattan's state Supreme Court, says the law imposes an illegal restraint on trade and violates the company's rights to equal protection and free speech.

The OTR lawsuit attacks Local Law 31, passed in 2005 by the City Council and signed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg. OTR's papers say the law creates permit requirements for commercial advertising signs that impose a practical ban on all new privately owned signs and threaten many existing ones.

In brief, the law bans signs within 900 feet and within view of arterial highways or within 200 feet and within view of public parks. The law affects private advertising near 72 major roadways and bridges and more than 1,000 parks, OTR's court papers say.

At the same time, the court papers say, the city, which owns and rents thousands of commercial advertising signs to raise revenue, is exempt from the new requirement. OTR wants the court to declare the distance requirements illegal and to bar the city from enforcing them.

City law department spokeswoman Kate Ahlers said Tuesday her agency had not received the legal papers and she could not comment.

OTR also sued Cemusa Inc., a company based in Spain, that won a 20-year, multibillion-dollar contract to build bus shelters, newsstands and public toilets in the city and has the exclusive right to post commercial advertising on them.

The city awarded the contract to Cemusa to bring some aesthetic order to its streets by providing thousands of bus shelters and newsstands and installing 20 public toilets.

The city will receive at least $1.3 billion in advertising revenue from Cemusa in return, OTR's court papers note.

A Cemusa spokeswoman, Katie Schwab, said she had not seen the lawsuit and could not comment.

OTR says the number of private signs will decrease because of the law. It says this will not only limit work opportunities for union members who install and maintain the signs but also will have a negative impact on small businesses in the city.

The CEO of New York-based OTR, Ari Noe, said in a statement released by lawyer Daniel Alter, "The city has violated our state Constitution's guarantees of freedom of speech and equal protection in order to monopolize the outdoor advertising business."

Noe said it was "necessary to take legal action against the city's overreaching" to protect OTR, labor unions, small businesses and consumers.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

griz

• friend
Re: Easiest Way to Get a Monopoly (Da Gobment)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 08:05:00 AM »
Sort of reminds me of the lottery.  State governments are happy raking in big bucks with poor odds from lotterys.  But many outlaw gambling because it is bad for society.   rolleyes
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 08:06:06 AM »
Just looked again; welcome to APS.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 08:08:26 AM »
Ned, what happened?  You've posted here before.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 08:17:25 AM »
New software; he had to register to post. I don't believe guests can post anymore, and IIRC, Ned used to always post as a guest.

Do we get to welcome you to the new APS? Cheesy
Andy

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 11:38:48 AM »
New software; he had to register to post. I don't believe guests can post anymore, and IIRC, Ned used to always post as a guest.

All the above is correct in all respects. 

Does this welcome include free drinks?

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 12:29:32 PM »

Does this welcome include free drinks?

Heck yes!  Tell us where to go so you can treat us.  Thats the rule here: anyone with fewer than 5 posts has to buy.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 02:31:23 PM »
Ned, what happened?  You've posted here before.

In that case lets definatly count my old posts  grin

If anyone is in the NYC area and enjoys tequila, I know an amazing bar in Queens, first round is on me, 2nd on your, and with luck, 3rd on the attractive bartender  laugh