Author Topic: USNS Mercy may have collided with USS Arizona memorial  (Read 4902 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
USNS Mercy may have collided with USS Arizona memorial
« on: May 28, 2015, 08:36:58 AM »
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/uss-arizona-memorial-reportedly-struck-during-docking-o-1707312516

I met a Navy physician who was assigned to the Mercy.  I learned that the Mercy and the Comfort essentially have two commanders:  the Military Sealift Command 'ship driver' who is in charge of the vessel, and the 0-6 who is in charge of the hospital facility.  I wonder why the Mercy was in that part of the ship channel, if the harbor pilot was at the helm, and if there was a problem with the tugs that led to the collision.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: USNS Mercy may have collided with USS Arizona memorial
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 08:47:57 AM »
My Great Aunt was a nurse on the USS Mercy (predecessor to this one) in the Pacific during World War II.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
http://news.usni.org/2015/05/27/breaking-tug-moving-u-s-navy-hospital-ship-may-have-struck-uss-arizona-memorial

Updated article.  Doesn't sound good.  I'm predicting some careers have just ended...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:19:42 AM »
Question for the squidly among us -

When a ship is being moved by tug, who is responsible for where that ship goes?

I know that whoever was on the bridge of the Mercy at the time, as well as whoever is the senior Military Sealift Command officer, are looking at their careers swirling down the drain even as they wish they could have thrown themselves between the ship and the memorial.

As for the tug skippers and the harbor pilot?  Probably also toast.

But strangest of all, the innerwebs are lacking calls for heads on pikes  Yet.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:26:37 PM »
Question for the squidly among us -

When a ship is being moved by tug, who is responsible for where that ship goes?

I know that whoever was on the bridge of the Mercy at the time, as well as whoever is the senior Military Sealift Command officer, are looking at their careers swirling down the drain even as they wish they could have thrown themselves between the ship and the memorial.

As for the tug skippers and the harbor pilot?  Probably also toast.

The Vessel Master. If the tugs run you aground, your fault.  If the pilot screws up,  still your fault.  What ever your boat hits, it's the Master's fault.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 12:38:08 PM »
I am curious why they were even near it.  Wonder if they are trying to turn around or something. 

Are all the radio communications between the tugs and the ship recorded?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 05:43:55 PM »
It must have been like a slow-moving train wreck.

Sort of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqsAgzzV6eM
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 07:45:11 PM »
Does anyone know if any damage was done to the memorial?
I visited the memorial when I vacationed in hawaii in 1987.  A very somber place .... I hate to think the memorial was damaged.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »
Reports are that the dock was moved about 10 feet.

Have not read anything yet on the actual memorial structure.  Navy & Park Service divers are surveying for damage.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 08:07:58 PM »
from the articles linked it sounds like it was just the dock that was damaged - hopefully that's the case
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 10:05:23 PM »

I knew before I even clicked on the link that was which you were referring to.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: USNS Mercy may have collided with USS Arizona memorial
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 10:35:27 PM »

Rough guess: $1 million in the clearly demolished boats? Not sure on how much for the ones just damaged, maybe $3 million total?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 02:31:37 AM »
I really hope it's all OK.  The thought of the Arizona maybe being hit really bothers me.

But:

I can't help thinking... should I say it?

Well... here goes:  "Large slow bullets."

Terry runs and hides.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 04:22:06 PM »
Does anyone know if any damage was done to the memorial?
I visited the memorial when I vacationed in hawaii in 1987.  A very somber place .... I hate to think the memorial was damaged.  

You weren't surrounded by shutter-happy tourists laughing and running back and forth from bow to stern?  'Cause that was my experience.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 05:04:45 PM »
You weren't surrounded by shutter-happy tourists laughing and running back and forth from bow to stern?  'Cause that was my experience.

Different strokes for different folks.

In May of 1994 my then-lady friend and I went on an adult education tour of Normandy and the D-Day beaches. She was (and I guess is) a nurse, and a couple of her friends/co-workers were also on the tour. I knew nobody else.

That tour ended our relationship. She and her friends wandered around, talking about whatever it is that women talk about on historic battlefield sites. My lady couldn't understand why I wasn't able to express in fifty words or less what it felt like to stand on those beaches (being a veteran of Vietnam) and envision what our guys went through making the assault.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 06:49:40 PM »

Well, I meant that, for me,   it was somber.   However, no one was running around laughing or otherwise being a jack-ass.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 03:04:36 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.

In May of 1994 my then-lady friend and I went on an adult education tour of Normandy and the D-Day beaches. She was (and I guess is) a nurse, and a couple of her friends/co-workers were also on the tour. I knew nobody else.

That tour ended our relationship. She and her friends wandered around, talking about whatever it is that women talk about on historic battlefield sites. My lady couldn't understand why I wasn't able to express in fifty words or less what it felt like to stand on those beaches (being a veteran of Vietnam) and envision what our guys went through making the assault.

A couple of years ago, my son went to Normandy beach with a People to People tour.  Got a great photo of him on the beach.  In the background, I can see a family laid out for, well, a day at the beach.  hard to wrap my brain around the concept that those sands are hallowed to many Americans, and just another beach to many others.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
To a degree, the idea of going there and laying out on the beach, free to relax is like a big *expletive deleted*ck you to fascists everywhere.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 06:14:33 PM »
To a degree, the idea of going there and laying out on the beach, free to relax is like a big *expletive deleted*ck you to fascists everywhere.

I like that.

As far as I'm concerned the hallowed ground is up above the beaches in the cemeteries.

stay safe.