Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 53175 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Thanks 41, I'll try that first. Not starting fresh is preferred as I run a lot of test prgs on that VM and I don't want to have to reinstall and reconfigure a bunch of crap.

I think 7 supports software raid with dynamic disks. take a backup of the VM, add a new VMDK, make them dynamic disks in windows, combine them . that should work in theory.

failing that, boot the vm with cloning software and clone it onto a new larger VMDK
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2015, 09:48:44 PM »
After doing a full system restore of 7 I wanted another partition and created one using disk manager. Shrunk the C: volume, allocated the "free" space and done!

In Windows 10:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools
Computer Management
Storage
Disk Management

Right click volume you want to split, select "Shrink Volume"
Format newly free space as new volume.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »
Well, the second VDI thing worked for install space, but then I got:

"You can't install Windows 10 because your processor doesn't support CompareExchange128".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2015, 12:23:34 AM »
Well, the second VDI thing worked for install space, but then I got:

"You can't install Windows 10 because your processor doesn't support CompareExchange128".

Known Virtualbox issue:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-8-1-virtualbox-compareexchange128-processor-incompatibilty
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2015, 12:28:24 AM »
Known Virtualbox issue:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-8-1-virtualbox-compareexchange128-processor-incompatibilty

Thanks Fitz - you really want me to buy VMWare, don't you?  =D

Interesting. The original VM install was Win8 and I did an online upgrade to win8.1 within the VM. That installed fine. This Win10 upgrade is the first time I'm seeing this error message.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. I just checked and I only have Win8 on the VM. I guess I only did the 8.1 update on my travel laptop. Oh well, I'll try the fix mentioned and see what happens.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2015, 12:33:14 AM »
Thanks Fitz - you really want me to buy VMWare, don't you?  =D

Interesting. The original VM install was Win8 and I did an online upgrade to win8.1 within the VM. That installed fine. This Win10 upgrade is the first time I'm seeing this error message.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. I just checked and I only have Win8 on the VM. I guess I only did the 8.1 update on my travel laptop. Oh well, I'll try the fix mentioned and see what happens.

Different bits, different errors

Nay man, I love VMware, but VB is fine too.

If you ever want , though, the basic ESXi server is free. I love me some VMware.

New version of hyper-v is actually really great

*ducks incoming grenades*
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2015, 12:41:29 AM »
If you ever want , though, the basic ESXi server is free. I love me some VMware.

I did not know that. I used VMWare at work years ago and assumed it was all pay.  I'll have to look into the ESXi.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2015, 07:05:58 AM »
Yup, basic VMWare (single physical CPU) is free for non-commercial use.  I have it running here at home.

Chris

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2015, 07:21:41 AM »
KB3035583

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

Thanks for the correction.  I've got that one, and the Windows 10 reservation worked, so we should be good.  With any luck the actual update will show in a day or three.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

robear

• friend
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2015, 10:20:31 AM »
If you already have Windows 10 reserved, there's no need to wait.
Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, select 32 or 64-bit, follow the prompts, and you're off and running.

I did this with all 3 of my upgrades.

..edited for clarity..
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:35:38 AM by robear »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2015, 10:54:37 AM »
Updated my 8.1 machine last night. totally painless!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2015, 12:50:23 PM »
Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, select 32 or 64-bit, follow the prompts, and you're off and running.

..edited for clarity..

Thanks for the link.  I'll get the download started (home is Frontier's slowest interwebz.  A full gigabyte takes hours even if that's the only traffic) tonight over night.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2015, 08:38:04 AM »

ESXi is a very beautiful thing.  =D

HyperV is pretty decent now, though I've always worked at places that paid the VM tax. 

All and all, having played around with production Win 10. It's alright, I'm generally advising people not to upgrade if they only have one PC. Let folks work out the kinks. I'm advising businesses not to upgrade whatsoever except for testing apps and whatnot. There's some very serious privacy and security concerns, that will be ironed out. And someone will. Hopefully it's addressable by GPO, otherwise that'll be annoying but writing a script shouldn't be too hard. Worst case, we'll have to push fake DNS entries to route MS's advertising servers IPs to 127.0.0.1
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2015, 09:31:58 AM »
Doing my 4th and last Notebook conversion to  right now. Still happy!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2015, 10:33:47 AM »

HyperV is pretty decent now, though I've always worked at places that paid the VM tax. 

All and all, having played around with production Win 10. It's alright, I'm generally advising people not to upgrade if they only have one PC. Let folks work out the kinks. I'm advising businesses not to upgrade whatsoever except for testing apps and whatnot. There's some very serious privacy and security concerns, that will be ironed out. And someone will. Hopefully it's addressable by GPO, otherwise that'll be annoying but writing a script shouldn't be too hard. Worst case, we'll have to push fake DNS entries to route MS's advertising servers IPs to 127.0.0.1

I was actually chatting about virtulization with one of the ICU nurses on, uhh, Sunday.  It's surprisingly difficult to explain why abstracting "the computer" from the underlying hardware it's running on, is such an interesting and potentially useful thing to do.

(Yes, my last week has been interesting.)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2015, 05:58:42 PM »
i got notice that my update is downloading in the background, but when i click check progress it goes to the check for updates, which then fails with 80244019 error code.

Is my update downloading or not, and how do i correct the error? Microsquish's help is absolutely useless.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2015, 06:54:01 PM »

Hyper-V is now to the point where, properly set up in a cluster, I'd recommend it over VMware for many scenarios, based on pricing alone (i.e. free if you already have server licensing)

Only thing missing is hybrid cloud scenarios, which can be kinda sorta hacked out with Azure. Not seamless yet though. Soon.

They announced recently that they were at 99 percent feature parity. I recall with 2012 R2 raw device mapping was working well. Virtualizing infrastructure that requires dedicated fibre channel connections to storage is now a reality.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2015, 10:04:47 PM »
All 4 notebooks here are now on 10
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »
All 4 notebooks here are now on 10

Installed it on one so far.  Admittedly an old clunker '06 vintage HP laptop (my tertiary backup machine).  It didn't like a single Win 7 key I fed it, so it's currently unactivated, and there are consequently things I can't do.

So far I'm not seeing anything compelling.  Other than "it's not windows 8".

I will download the x32 version of Win 10 Home tonight, and try the netbook tomorrow.  For personal use I doubt I'll run 10 on much,not for a good while.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2015, 08:45:39 PM »
Still liking it. Found that the built in mail app does freeze occasionally but other than that I've had no issues.

Admittedly there's little reason the upgrade, for most folk, other than feeling like it. Especially at this point. But it's fun to play with, and I've noticed a small increase in speed and frame rates in games. Not huge, but it's there. Over the next few years the difference should be more notable as developers take advantage of some gaming improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2015, 07:49:39 PM »
Netbook went fine.  Ran the upgrader app, let it download 10 and directly apply it.  I still don't see much real compelling about it.

Did my backup laptop.  Video not supported.  Win 7 worked fine.

Note this folks:  Click Start, settings, update and security, REcovery.  There's an option here to roll back to Windows 7

"Go back to Windows 7.  This option is only available for a moth after you upgrade to Windows 10."  I'll be ablt to tell you in a couple hours how well it works.

--edit to add--

wow.  less than 15 minutes later, the roll off from 10 back to 7 is done.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2015, 07:59:30 PM »
I just upgraded a Thinkpad with an i5 processor and 8GB of RAM from 7 Pro to 10 (I assume it's the Pro version)  The is a spare system that I don't really care about.

System locked up during signon the first couple of times I rebooted it.  Next time I logged onto the wireless network before signing-on and it came up okay.  I'm posting this on the system right now.

Reserving judgement for later.
"It's good, though..."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2015, 11:20:41 PM »
System locked up during signon the first couple of times I rebooted it.  Next time I logged onto the wireless network before signing-on and it came up okay.

Odd.  Is the laptop part of a domain?  I could see that happening if it was.  If not... I'm puzzled.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2015, 11:45:32 PM »

..edited for clarity..
I downloaded but didn't install it yet - but I don't remember "choosing" 32 or 64 bit versions.

My machine is running 64 bit 8.1 Professional, and it was my understanding that the update software would automatically download the proper version - do you know if this is actually the case, and how would I verify before actually installing? (After downloading, I checked the option to postpone install for a couple of days.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »
It turns out Windows 10 does not like the on-board video on my cheapo mobo from 2011, so it won't let me upgrade. I had been planning to get a new mobo and processor before switching, anyway. I'll wait until spring.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife