Author Topic: T-Mobil, Sprint, Verizon, AT&T. Which cell phone provider sucks least?  (Read 3407 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I've got Verizon, and generally I've been happy with them, but I'm getting ticked off at a few things, the biggest being that I pay for my data, but it doesn't roll over.

AT&T and T-Mobil have roll over plans that are similar, but AT&T's doesn't seem to be as good or flexible.

I get discounts from my employer from those companies, so that's a consideration in keeping them.

Any thoughts?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Unless one of them is demonstrably larger with deeper coffers than the others, and genuinely taking losses to try and out-compete the others, I always assume the "free this"... "rollover that"... "unlimited other thing" always averages out in the end.  :P

We jumped from Sprint to Verizon about 3 years ago. Mainly just because the coverage was a bit spotty in a few places we frequented it was going to be awhile before the MKE metro got significant 4G coverage, otherwise we had no major issues with them.

If you're obsessed with the best deal possible, I'm sure there's some discussion forum on cell plans/carriers that has the latest and greatest laundry list of how to navigate a certain carrier's process to get the best deal out of them.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I'm similar to AJ - Sprint, then Verizon. I liked Sprint's customer service and their plans, but simply couldn't get the same coverage as Verizon for the places I go. I don't believe Verizon is as good of a deal, plus unlike Sprint, they seem to want to increase my costs versus giving deals like Sprint. But I have to weigh getting good voice and 4G coverage everywhere I want it, versus a good deal / good service.

So  I guess my recommendation is, see if you can find out which of your available providers give you the best service (operationally vs customer) via their coverage maps, or better, via people you know with the various services. I would go with the one that gives you the best coverage for the places you most frequent.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
I've had Sprint and Verizon.

Verizon has by far the best coverage, and they damn well know it. I am with them simply because they cover where no one else does.

Sprint is frustrating to deal with. I didn't have any issues with the service, when I got it, but coverage in non-metro areas was very lacking and the customer service is typical horrifically shitty telecom customer service. The phone insurance through "Asurion" is bullshit, too, you get the privilege of paying $10 a month for it and then if you break your phone you get to pay an additional $150 to replace it, so very poor value.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
I keep Verizon for the coverage. No reason to be unhappy with them. Data isn't an issue for me, though. Wifi access most of the time.

Interesting recent development... I was going to switch to one of their prepaid plans for the cost savings. They ended up applying the same price to my standard plan and calling it a "Loyalty Discount".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Yeah, I've gotten loyalty discounts and the like.

I've been with Verizon Wireless since 1996 or so.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
I've been with Verizon Wireless since 1996 or so.

Amazing since VZW didn't exist prior to 2000. :D

I worked for GTE (more specifically the BBN portion of GTE) when they became VZ (and Bell Atlantic became VZW).

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It was Alltel here. Or maybe Verizon bought out AllTel. Dunno. Same locations and no change in billing procedure except for the Company name.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
"Amazing since VZW didn't exist prior to 2000."

Yeah, it's just SO *expletive deleted*ing much simpler to say I was with Bell Atlantic, which then merged with GTE to create the entity now known as Verizon, since 1996.

;/

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Is sprint really that bad with regards to coverage area?  I currently have ATT, had a second phone with Verizon (pre paid) for areas that I work that ATT does not have good coverage. But from comparing the two, Att and Verizon) it's somewhat 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other. Places that ATT coverage sucks, Verizon is good and vice versa.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

dogmush

• friend
Another Verizon customer here.  I switched from AT&T back in '04.  I still occasionally check out coverage maps, and talk with my coworkers that have other companies.

I pay a lot for Verizon, but I get hands down the best coverage, fast speeds, and (for me) great service wheter I go into the store, or call in.  I chalk it up to "you get what you pay for".

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Used to be with Verizon , then switched to AT&T a few years back.  Both were perfectly fine.  Verizon had some quirky coverage issues where I as living at the time, that's why I switched.  I'd be happy with either one today.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Is sprint really that bad with regards to coverage area?  I currently have ATT, had a second phone with Verizon (pre paid) for areas that I work that ATT does not have good coverage. But from comparing the two, Att and Verizon) it's somewhat 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other. Places that ATT coverage sucks, Verizon is good and vice versa.

I wouldn't call it bad, but just not quite there compared to Verizon and possibly AT&T. I generally saw the loss in fringe areas* where Verizon people were getting just enough signal to get out a call or receive email while I wouldn't get anything from the Sprint service. Sprint looks to have improved a lot, especially on the 4G. But I'm still leery because I was one of those "first in" WiMax 4g customers before that whole system went belly up.

*With the exception being areas near out of the way Federal places. Possibly because of the whole Sprint/Nextel thing. Nextel used to be big in parts of fed.gov not only for the two-way, but because of an intrinsically more secure signal (I was always told, I have no expertise). Because I worked on so many LE issues, my work phone was one of those big honkin' Nextel militarized phones for a long while. The rest of my office was on the Verizon contract. When we would go out to some of the Navy island installations, I'd get a signal when the Verizon people wouldn't. For a while that was the same with Sprint. When I spent time on the Avon Park bombing range, I had switched my work phone back to Verizon, but had Sprint for my personal phone. Those of us with Sprint had service there, while the Verizon people generally didn't. I would guess because the prison co-located on the range may have been on Nextel originally, then may have had a Sprint tower installed there, which is the same thing I saw the Navy and National Park Service do in several "isolated" installations I would visit. I will say that the Nextel service was great, especially outside urban areas, until Sprint took them over and started killing off the Nextel network.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Calumus

• friend
It all depends on where you live and travel. TMobile has the best plans, and actual unlimited data. No overages ever, even if you don't get their unlimited plan. If their coverage is good where you need service, you can't beat them. Two lines, unlimited everything for $100. Verizon's supposed to have the best coverage nationwide; but I've experienced gaping holes all over the place with them. Once I figure out if I'm going to land in South Carolina or Florida I may switch. Tmobile has better coverage and faster speeds in Fl. I don't know about SC. In NYC Tmobile blows Verizon away in speed tests. AT&T has the second best coverage map after Verizon; but doesn't have actual unlimited data available. Speeds are normally quite good though.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I've been with AT&T wireless for over 10 years. (Probably 15 at this point)

Their service and coverage has always been comparable to other providers, and I was very impressed by their customer service lately.

The physical store messed up all kinds of things about changing my plan to the new ones with rollover. (Minus to the store, at least.) Just before angrily going to the store to fix it, the chat bubble popped up on the website while I was viewing how messed up my plans were.

All the problems were resolved over the chat and they even called the store itself so I didn't have to. Very impressed with that. Saved me a trip and undoubtedly more time at the store. Instead, everything got resolved in the background while I worked and checked in on chat periodically.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I've been with AT&T wireless for over 10 years. (Probably 15 at this point)

Their service and coverage has always been comparable to other providers, and I was very impressed by their customer service lately.

The physical store messed up all kinds of things about changing my plan to the new ones with rollover. (Minus to the store, at least.) Just before angrily going to the store to fix it, the chat bubble popped up on the website while I was viewing how messed up my plans were.

All the problems were resolved over the chat and they even called the store itself so I didn't have to. Very impressed with that. Saved me a trip and undoubtedly more time at the store. Instead, everything got resolved in the background while I worked and checked in on chat periodically.

Lilly is definitely the hottest carrier representative/mascot right now.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
What really pisses me off and has me thinking about changing is that I've gone over my data allocation twice in the 3 years I've had a cell phone, and both times because I've been at my Mom's.

That sets off a flurry of e-mails, text messages, pop ups, bike messengers, semaphore, and smoke signals exhorting me to CHANGE YOUR DATA PLAN FOR SOMETHING MORE EXPENSIVE!!!

I wouldn't have to if you'd roll over some of the goddamned data that I've paid for, but not used, you cheap pricks.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
AT&T, I get a substantial employee discount. If I didn't get the discount I really don't know if I'd stay with them or not.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
I've always been on Verizon. Except for during my first deployment where I cancelled it for the duration and when I got back to restart it they cancelled the unlimited data. :facepalm:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I get significant discounts on cell service through my employer too.Those companies that i mentioned.

mtnbkr

• friend
As a Verizon employee, I got a 25% discount on my VZW service up until 5.5 years after leaving Verizon.  They finally noticed and sent me a letter saying my discount was ending.  I'm able to get a 15% discount through my current employer.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I get a 20% discount through my employer.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Lilly is definitely the hottest carrier representative/mascot right now.

Yup.  Milana Vayntrub   
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
I get a 20% discount through my employer.

I'm jealous!  I only get a 19% discount.   :mad:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
They all suck. pick whoever is cheapest and has the device you want
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog