Author Topic: 787 practicing for Paris air show  (Read 2351 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: 787 practicing for Paris air show
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 09:30:59 PM »
No, I got there in early 1972...the Tonkin Gulf fire was in 1967 but is still a very important part of Naval History and is still being incorporated into fire fighting training today.

I was onboard for a pretty significant fire in July of 1972, we were at pier 12 @ Norfolk. It put us into the shipyards for 3 months. The Navy learned a lot from that fire also which has been incorporated into carrier designs since.

bob

Huh. Just when i was thinking i knew something because i remember the 67 fire i get schooled. I never knew about the fire at the pier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 10:18:43 PM »
Huh. Just when i was thinking i knew something because i remember the 67 fire i get schooled. I never knew about the fire at the pier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's not really well known. A seaman (E3) set 3 fires right after each other. Two below decks and one on the O3 level (right below the flight deck) in the Admirals cabin. The O3 fire got into cable runs and went both ways on that deck and essentially destroyed the CIC. I had a 300 pair PBX cable for the airwing intercom system that was burned in half. I was never so happy to have some spare 20lb cans of coffee as I was when I went up to talk to the foreman of the yard workers to get them to run me a new cable.

We were only a day or so from deployment so were were fully loaded with ammo and fuel, there was talk of towing us out into the middle of the bay in case things started cooking off. It really screwed up thew east coast carried deployments for a while. They extended the boat we were supposed to relieve and we went on a 10 month Med cruise, which being 19 I loved every second of it. :)  ;)

On 10 July 1972, while moored at Pier 12, Norfolk, Forrestal was once again the scene of a catastrophic fire. This fire, which was set by a crewmember, was in an O-3 level computer room (just under the flight deck). A hole was cut in the flight deck to reach the fire from above and hundreds of gallons of water were pumped into the space. This ruined all of the computer equipment and the ship took on an exaggerated list, prompting concern that she might capsize. The ship returned to the yards at Portsmouth and three months later was at last able to relieve USS John F. Kennedy, which had to serve an extended Mediterranean deployment while the Forrestal was being repaired. Electrician's Mate Robert Horan, who was aboard at the time, recalls in a memoir "[The fire did] over seven million dollars in damage. The news videos...show[ed] the flight deck glowing red. We went back to Portsmouth for repairs and I believe we got most of the CIC and electronics equipment that was supposed to go on board the USS Nimitz, then under construction."[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Forrestal_(CV-59)

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 10:21:35 PM »
A seaman (E3) set 3 fires right after each other

Any known reason why the *expletive deleted*er committed arson?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 10:30:52 PM »
He didn't want to go on deployment. He got his desire, he didn't go. He went somewhere else for a while.

bob