Author Topic: Must you be black to be a regional head of the NAACP?  (Read 24998 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Must you be black to be a regional head of the NAACP?
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2015, 01:15:56 PM »
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/06/15/414655045/rachel-dolezal-resigns-as-president-of-spokane-naacp?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150615

So that is why this evening's chapter meeting was cancelled: Ms. Dolezal was buffing and polishing her resignation letter.

"While challenging the construct of race is at the core of evolving human consciousness..."

I actually agree somewhat with this observation, but not in the spirit she intended.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2015, 08:05:34 PM »
"Rachel Dolezal has a right to be black."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/15/opinions/rich-rachel-dolezal/index.html

Take that, you cisethnic oppressors.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »
"While challenging the construct of race is at the core of evolving human consciousness..."

I actually agree somewhat with this observation, but not in the spirit she intended.

Is this an appropriate place to ask what is the difference between "race" and "ethnicity"? A lot of gummint forms seem to ask for both, and it never made sense to me.

My late wife was from South America, of a family directly descended from the Spanish conquistadores. She was proud of her native country and never hesitated to declare it. She was white and would become incensed if anyone suggested otherwise. But she didn't like or understand the term "hispanic." Her view was, sure she spoke Spanish -- that was her native language. But she wasn't from Spain, she had never been to Spain, and she certainly didn't feel or recognize any ethnic bonds to people from Cuba, Puerto Rico, or the Dominican Republic.

So WTF is "ethnicity"? If there's a catch-all category for people whose native language is Spanish, why isn't there a "Francic" classification for people whose native language is French? Why don't we use "Germanic" as an ethnicity for people whose native language (or whose parents' native language) is German? Why is "ethnicity" essentially "Hispanic" or "Other"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2015, 08:37:01 PM »
Is this an appropriate place to ask what is the difference between "race" and "ethnicity"? A lot of gummint forms seem to ask for both, and it never made sense to me.

My late wife was from South America, of a family directly descended from the Spanish conquistadores. She was proud of her native country and never hesitated to declare it. She was white and would be come incensed if anyone suggested otherwise. But she didn't like or understand the term "hispanic." Her view was, sure she spoke Spanish -- that was her native language. But she wasn't from Spain, she had never been to Spain, and she certainly didn't feel or recognize any ethnic bonds people from Cuba, Puerto Rico, or the Dominican Republic.

So WTF is "ethnicity"? If there's a catch-all category for people whose native language is Spanish, why isn't there a "Francic" classification for people whose native language is French? Why don't we use "Germanic" as an ethnicity for people whose native language (or whose parents' native language) is German? Why is "ethnicity" essentially "Hispanic" or "Other"?

Race is the physical genetic compontant. A person is genetically of one or another race.

Ethnicity is the cultural characteristics.

Example. Caucasian is race. Scot is Caucasian and Irish is Caucasian. Scot and Irish are two different ethnicity.

It is getting to be a peeve of mind how much is being attributed as " racism" that isn't actually racism. IMHO, most of the social issues right now is a lot less racism and a lot more technically classism.
And of course, this whole debocal is a good example of peoples failure to distinguesh between race, culture and ethnicity (although, going back to an argument I had with a sociology professor, African American would not count as ethnicity, but as subculture)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2015, 12:26:25 AM »
Scot and Irish are two different ethnicity.

So then what's Scots-Irish?

Ethnicity is the cultural characteristics.

And of course, this whole debocal is a good example of peoples failure to distinguesh between race, culture and ethnicity (although, going back to an argument I had with a sociology professor, African American would not count as ethnicity, but as subculture)

If ethnicity is cultural characteristics, how can there be anything to distinguish between culture and ethnicity?

If my wife (and a majority of people from her country) didn't identify as "Hispanic," why does the U.S. government insist that she's Hispanic solely on the basis of her native language?

[Edit to add] And let's not forget the many people with "Hispanic" sounding last names who have been in the U.S. for several generations. They found their kids were being enrolled in classes taught primarily in Spanish even though the kids didn't speak Spanish -- based solely on the last name.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:23:37 AM by Hawkmoon »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »
The Scots Irish are a specific groups of Scots who immigrated to Ireland and then to America. Not an ethnicity.

The fact that the government gets ethnicity wrong doesn't change what it is.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2015, 08:18:34 AM »
When did we get all cis-sanitycentric?

I've decided I'm 6' tall. I was gonna be 6'5" but I'd have headroom issues on my yacht so I decided on 6'.
I expect everyone to acknowledge this by looking 5" shorter than they used to.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2015, 08:57:08 AM »
The Scots Irish are a specific groups of Scots who immigrated to Ireland and then to America. Not an ethnicity.

The fact that the government gets ethnicity wrong doesn't change what it is.

In particular, Scots immigrated to N. Ireland area that were protestant English supporters, also called "Ulster" Irish. Most Americans of "Irish" ancestry from the south are these. Further complicated by the fact that they were mixing it up across the Irish channel for 500 or so years before the "Ulster" immigration. Further complicated by the fact that despite being practically identical genetically, they hated each other for hundreds of years more passionately than the English and the French. Best tell between "Irish" and "Scots Irish" is Catholic vs. Protestant.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2015, 09:54:53 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2015, 11:25:35 AM »
^  Tsk-tsk-tsk.  That was eeeevilll.
 :rofl:
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2015, 12:40:33 PM »

It is, because this was my point. Our governmental/societal rush to infinitesimally categorize people is in large part the origin of this madness. It will eventually be so that describing oneself by the litany of specific characteristic will be like the aliens' recitation of their family lineage from Enemy Mine. The more we are differentiated and compartmentalized the less able we will be to function as a civilization due to lack of common interests, mores, and goals.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2015, 02:17:32 PM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2015, 10:12:04 AM »
^^^ Jinkies!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2015, 02:29:49 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2015, 08:45:52 PM »
At the risk of piling on, it appears that Ms. Dolezal is in a bit more trouble:

http://news.yahoo.com/former-naacp-leader-dolezal-found-violated-ethics-rules-181815292.html

Investigators hired by the city of Spokane to probe a whistleblower complaint found Dolezal had publicly named citizens who made complaints against police officers, in violation of confidentiality rules, City Council President Ben Stuckart said.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2015, 10:41:04 PM »

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2015, 11:13:31 PM »
The woman who resigned as president of the Spokane NAACP after her parents revealed she was white posing as black says there's no proof they are her mother and father.

In an interview with NBC News on Tuesday night (http://nbcnews.to/1LfaDYU ), Rachel Dolezal said she hasn't had a DNA test and there's no "biological proof" that Larry and Ruthanne Dolezal are her parents.

Ladies and gentlemen, this train has officially left the tracks!!!!

Being local we are getting tons of stuff about this every day.

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2015, 11:35:32 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/15/rachel-dolezal-art_n_7586972.html

Oh what the hell, I'll pile on.  Looks like she her art work isn't quite as original as she claimed.  Also there's some question as to whether she actually got the degree she claimed.

curiouser and curiouser....

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2015, 11:47:38 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/15/rachel-dolezal-art_n_7586972.html

Oh what the hell, I'll pile on.  Looks like she her art work isn't quite as original as she claimed.  Also there's some question as to whether she actually got the degree she claimed.

curiouser and curiouser....

google her brother, he is in deep doo doo also.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2015, 08:35:31 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

castle key

• friend
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2015, 08:45:02 AM »
She is in trouble for violating ethics rules while serving as a civilian police oversight board member. Since these violations have apparently been ongoing for some time, why did they become concerning just now!!!???
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2015, 09:37:30 AM »
She is in trouble for violating ethics rules while serving as a civilian police oversight board member. Since these violations have apparently been ongoing for some time, why did they become concerning just now!!!???

Political buddies no longer have her black.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2015, 10:27:01 AM »
Interesting that investigation finished on 6-5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I