Author Topic: Any private pilots here?  (Read 6259 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Any private pilots here?
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2015, 09:08:10 PM »
True, but I bet Tok was talking about Joe Bob in his Husky in Nowhere's, Alaska.

We fly almost as many GPS and RNAV approaches as we do ILS approaches.

Good point.

I've been spending a lot of time in the sim with my a2a Cherokee. In it, I have the same GPS that is in the club's Cherokee and arrow. Seems like every time I dig into the manual I find a new cool feature I didn't know about.

I even have it linked to foreflight via software :-D

I'm finding that the navigation portions of the knowledge test stuff I'm studying seem to come naturally. being an expert at army style land nav, most of the concepts are simple, only real difference being the use of DMS instead of MGRS for coords. THe online study tool i'm using spent quite a bit of time on using bearings to VORs to approximate your position (just like resection in the army), and stuff like that has been no problem

I'm discovering that the most studying i'm having to do are the sections on regulations. So much *expletive deleted*it to memorize/know.

That, and the part about sectionals. Then I realized that the book you have DURING the test has a legend. And it became simple. LOL
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2015, 10:11:49 PM »
And you know that the FAA publishes all the questions on the test.  Please tell me you know that.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2015, 11:01:55 PM »
And you know that the FAA publishes all the questions on the test.  Please tell me you know that.

I didn't know that particularly.. bit I kinda had the feeling something like that happened when my ASA "Knowledge test study guide" was basically just "study these *expletive deleted*ers and memorize em"
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2015, 11:04:47 PM »
I didn't know that particularly.. bit I kinda had the feeling something like that happened when my ASA "Knowledge test study guide" was basically just "study these *expletive deleted*ers and memorize em"

Yes, those are the actual FAA questions on the exam.  The FAA doesn't offer the correct answer, but the ASA books and Gleim books do the hard work for you.  No one should ever fail the written exam.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2015, 12:01:36 AM »
i used the ASA book to drill for my written. Worked pretty well.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »
True, but I bet Tok was talking about Joe Bob in his Husky in Nowhere's, Alaska.

We fly almost as many GPS and RNAV approaches as we do ILS approaches.
Yes, that was well before the nice glass GPS units.

This last summer I flew with a guy out of Iliana with a very nice setup- it was a garmin I think, a split screen with both a moving chart with terrain alert and a flight path view.  Twin turbine engine beech 99, we were low  over a glacier with peaks going way up on each side. Scenic in spades. 

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2015, 09:50:03 AM »
Yes, those are the actual FAA questions on the exam.  The FAA doesn't offer the correct answer, but the ASA books and Gleim books do the hard work for you.  No one should ever fail the written exam.

We had a guy who just literally memorized all 800 and something questions.  Aced the test.  Not sure how I'd feel about him as a pilot if he felt that was the easiest way to pass, but sounds like the kind of guy that would be great when you need a checklist recited and can't find it.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
We had a guy who just literally memorized all 800 and something questions.  Aced the test.  Not sure how I'd feel about him as a pilot if he felt that was the easiest way to pass, but sounds like the kind of guy that would be great when you need a checklist recited and can't find it.

Reading and memorizing questions is the same as reading and 'learning' the information.  He still had the knowledge. Whether he can apply that info as needed is a different story.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2015, 11:39:51 AM »

IIRC I just got the study books and worked through them. I used a few different ones in conjunction, sometimes an explanation can be obtuse from one author and clear from another.  Acing the written was probably the proudest academic point of my life, being a HS dropout and all.  Flying the airplane was easy by comparison.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2015, 12:51:23 PM »

IIRC I just got the study books and worked through them. I used a few different ones in conjunction, sometimes an explanation can be obtuse from one author and clear from another.  Acing the written was probably the proudest academic point of my life, being a HS dropout and all.  Flying the airplane was easy by comparison.

Now, granted I'm low time and whatnot... but I was a bit surprised at how easy it was to fly an airplane.

I mean, inside normal flight conditions of course.

I have my next lesson on Wednesday. I think i'm gonna try to shoot for every Wednesday from now until I get some more time, then shoot for 2-3x/week after that.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2015, 01:33:23 PM »
Bikers may have an easier time of it, we are already used to using both hands and feet, have a certain feel for G's, and lean, and that a coordinated turn makes you feel "heavier", as the force is right down through the spine instead of pushing us to one side, also the scanning and alertness we use to ride a bike is way ahead of what folks use in a car.
 No doubt reading about airplanes since we were young helps too...

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »
Reading and memorizing questions is the same as reading and 'learning' the information.  He still had the knowledge. Whether he can apply that info as needed is a different story.

Actually, I guess "memorizing the questions" is the wrong phrase; don't know if it's still this way, but 23 years ago they didn't even rearrange the answer letters.  He memorized the number of each question and the letter of the correct answer.