Author Topic: Massive hydrocarbon reserves found on Titan  (Read 4115 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Massive hydrocarbon reserves found on Titan
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 03:07:59 PM »
You could have internal combustion aircraft or vehicles, even generators on Titan, but you'd need an oxygen tank, but no fuel tank.

I seem to remember that being an interesting observation in Camelot 30K; given the hydrogen atmosphere and ground made of frozen methane, oxygen (liquid at the ambient temperature) was treated as fuel.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 03:24:39 PM »
So people are just now noticing what astrophysicists have known for decades? Methane in both liquid and gaseous forms on other moons and worlds is not exactly new knowledge.

Brad

Pretty much this.  Someone writes an article regurgitating known info, and it just gets injected into the news cycle, magnified by social media.  They were guessing there was "water" of liquid ethane on Titan since before Cassini radar-mapped it. All those Don Dixon space paintings of lakes on Titan with Saturn in the background etc. from the 1980's.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 03:25:38 PM »
Same thing in the Mote in God's Eye. They talk about a methane moon (IIRC) being a refueling station for the ships.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 05:02:07 PM »
They keep finding oil deeper and deeper.  At what point can we no longer say it was from dinosaurs?

That's such an unscientific oversimplification of the "fossil fuel" theory that it's borderline ludicrous.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 06:02:08 PM »
The old saw about oil being liquified dinosaurs is kind of... overwrought, as well. Oil deposits, if they truly are "fossil" fuels, almost certainly derived from plant material, not huge concentrations of dinosaurs.

Oh sure, now plants somehow traveled the stars.

You want to tell me how a ficus could even steer a starship, let alone build one capable of starting colonies on Titan and carrying more of them out beyond the solar system to become the interstellar benzene?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 06:31:34 PM »
That's such an unscientific oversimplification of the "fossil fuel" theory that it's borderline ludicrous.

Yeah, okay, whatever.  Stop taking it so seriously.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 07:34:20 PM »
Plants used to be super intelligent.

Then they just started vegging out...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re:
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »
Plants used to be super intelligent.

Then they just started vegging out...

*Groan*
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?