Author Topic: What caliber for donkey?  (Read 4166 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: What caliber for donkey?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:55:28 PM »
Sometimes they can be a real ass!   :O

At least the neighbors didn't have a Pet Bull  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:05:48 PM »
5.56 works fine.  But watch out for the carts.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:19:43 PM »
Donkey show gone bad?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 10:48:54 PM »
.45-70, because reasons
7-11 was a part time job.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 12:02:54 AM »
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/eastside/king-county-judge-sues-carnation-neighbors-after-donkey-attack/

Jeezy Petes.  Those suckers have teeth!

Stallions have teeth also, I have seen a lady get a partial (nearly total) mastectomy from a stallion. I won't get anywhere near a hoofed creatures mouth. Nope, no way.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 06:38:41 AM »
Way back when I was a kid I worked at a horse ranch. It  was a Quarter Horse breeding operation.  Three studs and a passle of mares to take care of. Some of the old brood mares were pretty bitchy most of the time and even worse when they had a new foal. Stalls still had to be cleaned but the mares didn't like me in there with the foal and could get a bit rough. The studs weren't too bad most of the time. One old boy would wait till you got in a corner then just kind of pen you in. Wouldn't bite or kick, just pen you into the  corner. He'd let you out if you had a treat for him otherwise he'd just stand there and pee on your boots.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 06:46:20 AM »
Better on than in.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 07:36:53 AM »
Spent a summer and fall on what was supposed to be a trotter training facility and boarding stable for snooty little rich girls' horses (should have just boarded the girls) but was really a tax dodge.  Guy was raking money in hand over fist from electronics so needed a place that would offset income with a loss.  At $15/hr to sit in a brand new Kubuto with A/C and drag a bar around pulling stones, I was part of that loss.

First day we got lectures on things to watch out for - crowding in the stalls, nipping (yeah, just love bites), tails switching across the face (what were you doing in that area to begin with?), and the dreaded standing on your foot.  Second day some brash young punk who was not me showed up in a set of steel-toe engineer boots bragging about how no horse was going to get him.  An hour later he's in an ambulance with bruised ribs from being crowded up against the wall, several nasty pieces of shoulder that may need to be completely detached. and one boot's compressed steel toe being the only thing keeping him from bleeding out from a toe-ectomy.  Three out of four on the first day!  The rest of the crew, as amazing as it sounds, learned that lesson and stayed away from those evil spawns of the devil at all times.

BTW - did you know that not only does it not seem to bother them, but that horses like a snack of poison oak?  And that the odds are that some little rich spawn is going to kiss her horsey right on the lips when he trots over from the far side of the pasture where he has been snacking?  I knew I was supposed to feel compassion, but I had to cut lunch short and crank up the tractor so nobody would hear me laughing.

In their defense, horse meat is very tasty.  Mule tastes like week-old crap.  I have no idea what donkey tastes like.  If I cared to know I could ask Robert Zimmern.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 07:45:57 AM »
Steel toe boots are the worst thing possible.

I wanted a pair after the first time a horse stood on my foot. My mother explained why that was a bad idea.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 08:15:56 AM »

I wanted a pair after the first time a horse stood on my foot. My mother explained why that was a bad idea.

Because I like to learn something every day, why are the steel-toed boots a bad idea?

(I wear steel-toed boots on my motorcycle).

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 08:31:16 AM »
Because I like to learn something every day, why are the steel-toed boots a bad idea?

(I wear steel-toed boots on my motorcycle).

They work really well... right up until the point that something heavier than the steel can bear hits your foot or something hits at an angle to push the edge of the steel into your foot, at which point they become a flattened piece of steel slamming into your toes, often slicing as they do.

It's better to take the hit on your toes- they recover far more easily when they are still attached to your foot.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 10:05:06 AM »
According to the Patton move, 45 ought be enough.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 10:14:28 AM »
Equines need to be taught how to behave around humans.  Unfortunately, most are not :(

Donkeys are "special".  There's a reason that the term "jack-ass" is used to describe some people.   ;)

And yeah, you need to learn to be careful around a 1000 pound animal.  They can hurt you bad without even meaning to.

BTW, I have been tail-flogged in the face occasionally, while cleaning or trimming rear hooves.  You have to get up close and personal with that end sometimes.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 10:15:29 AM »
As for steel toe/composite toe boot the "safer" variety would be the ones with a metarasal cover.  

My company "requires" steel toe boots for all doing work on the shop floor.  Isn't enforced completely like it should be.  Also is supposed to be a policy that even just to walk on the shop floor you are supposed to not be in open toe shoes but everyday the women folk from the office come out in their open toe shoes. :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »

but everyday the women folk from the office come out in their open toe shoes. :facepalm:

And they will continue until one of them suddenly no longer requires shoes with toes.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »
Equines need to be taught how to behave around humans.  Unfortunately, most are not :(

Donkeys are "special".  There's a reason that the term "jack-ass" is used to describe some people.   ;)

And yeah, you need to learn to be careful around a 1000 pound animal.  They can hurt you bad without even meaning to.

BTW, I have been tail-flogged in the face occasionally, while cleaning or trimming rear hooves.  You have to get up close and personal with that end sometimes.

And even when you're careful and they are nice as can be, it's a 1000+ pound animal and *expletive deleted*it happens.

The worst was when I was riding this draft cross for a lesson. He was a total sweety, gentle giant, but he was not the brightest bulb in the box.
After my ride, I dismounted, landed on my butt because my legs did not remember how to work after straddling a horse that was almost as wide as I am tall, got up and went to throw the reins over his head to lead him into the barn. He ducked his head and shifted (I think he was trying to help) planting one dinner plate size hoof square on my foot. Poor thing. He was totally confused by the little two legged thing that was screaming, beating his shoulder and kicking at his hock with one foot. He finally got it through his pea sized brain (the only small thing about that horse) that I wanted him to move and did so.
Then he was even more confused because instead of taking him to the barn, I sat back down and cried for a couple minutes. My foot was fine, just a little bruised, but damn, that hurt.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 06:10:22 PM »
Sometimes I'm not sure about having smart horses either.  You have to think fast to keep ahead of them  =D

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 07:05:25 PM »

I've heard of this as well.  It's a myth. Modern 'steel toes' often don't actually have steel in them, and are now rated such that they won't collapse until your toes would be jelly in a strike without them.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 10:08:39 PM »
Is that when something drops on them, or when they are put in the equivalent of a vise with the pressure concentrated on the edge?

stay safe.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 11:02:22 PM »
Plus, when it comes to horse hoofs, it's not just the toes that your risking. It the hoof lands flat on the foot, it's not really that bad, even pressure all around. It the hoof lands on something unyielding that tips it to the side... Well, your toes might be safe, but the rest of your foot could be pretty screwed.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 07:59:46 AM »
"Steel" toes are usually designed to stop the sudden shock of an object falling on the foot.  Not really designed to protect from constant pressure over time.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »
When you are around horses long enough, you develop a "sixth sense" (it's really just paying attention) so when he even tenses a shoulder or hip muscle, you start moving your feet back out of the way seemingly automatically.  So getting stepped on is really pretty rare for most of us equestrians/cowboys :)

Biting is never to be tolerated.  You have to nip it (sorry!  :P) in the bud; make him think you are going to kill him right now.  We hand treat our horses and they have learned to be very careful with our fingers, though once in a while they make a mistake.  In that case, a loud "Hey!" or "Ow!" is enough to correct them.

That donkey had been fed every day through the fence and he thought that it was his birthright.  Only a matter of time until he starts being an ass  =(