Author Topic: There, but for the grace of God...  (Read 3984 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
There, but for the grace of God...
« on: June 25, 2015, 06:16:36 PM »
I was wondering how many are familiar with the phrase, "There, but for the grace of God, go I." I used a slight variation of it in an online conversation today, and some people didn't seem to understand what it meant. I must sometimes check to see just how out of touch I am people are.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
Re: There, but for the grace of God...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 06:22:47 PM »
I am familiar with it.

Don't use it that much, but I've heard it.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:23:17 PM »
I must sometimes check to see just how out of touch I am people are.

We really don't want you touching anything anyway.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 06:30:44 PM »
Familiar with and and use it. Frequently, actually.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 06:31:04 PM »
I thought that was a common phrase...

???

Maybe I just read too much.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bradford
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 06:43:06 PM »
Being associated with the people I used to be associated with, the phrase was a daily utterance.

It's now down to somewhere between weekly and bi-monthly.

My guess is that folks fistful says are unfamiliar with it are also unfamiliar with the concepts of personal responsibility and personal accountability.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 06:44:11 PM »

My guess is that folks fistful says are unfamiliar with it are also unfamiliar with the concepts of personal responsibility and personal accountability.

I should hope not. It was a gun blog. I said "there but for the grace of God go we all" in relation to the Charleston wack-a-do, and some seemed to think I was saying that any of them might up and go on a killing spree.

I'm still not sure if folks weren't used to the phrase, or just didn't think it applied in the case of someone who committed such heinous deeds. That I would understand.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
So I'm confused.  Are you TBFTGOGGI, as to you becoming a whack-a-doodle mass murderer or the victim of one?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 07:09:49 PM »
What we understand as cultural literacy is dying faster than actual literacy. Idiocracy is rapidly transitioning from fictional comedy to anticipatory documentary.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 07:31:59 PM »
I thought that was a common phrase...

???

Maybe I just read too much.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bradford

likewise
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 07:35:24 PM »
So I'm confused.  Are you TBFTGOGGI, as to you becoming a whack-a-doodle mass murderer or the victim of one?

I was responding to this with the following:

You say that Roof is not human. Then you tell us that his actions are endemic to human nature. Then you tell us (again) that people like Roof aren’t human.

The best way to resolve this is just to admit that Roof is human; and there, but for the grace of God, go we all.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 07:52:11 PM »
I'm familiar with it. Didn't know who it was attributed to though.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 08:09:46 PM »
Familiar with and and use it. Frequently, actually.

Ditto.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 08:19:50 PM »
I'm familiar with it. Didn't know who it was attributed to though.

Yeah, I had to double-check, and make sure it wasn't just one of my Dad's pet phrases. I ended up at the same Wiki page as BSL.

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 08:20:07 PM »
Certainly a common expression, but I got the impression that the posters were only disputing that any of us could be a mass murderer.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 08:54:02 PM »
Certainly a common expression, but I got the impression that the posters were only disputing that any of us could be a mass murderer.

There, however, I think Fisty's right. Whether it's Fistful's God, one's own commitment to an internal rule set, or some other external factor the veneer of what we consider "civilized" is remarkably thin and brittle.

Time and Time again throughout the world, history has shown it doesn't take all that much to get most of us to cry havoc and loose the dogs. We are pretty much all not that far from violence.

That's why men like MLK and Ghandi are revered so much.  We all know, deep down, that we probably wouldn't have stayed peaceful.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 08:56:13 PM »
"There but for fortune ..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwXO0sbN4pc

I used to use it frequently, but like Tallpine, I modified it to "There, but for a couple of lucky breaks, go I."

I also use "unlucky breaks" for the opposite sense, like when someone drives by in a Ferrari.  Or whatever.

Slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.... O, Fortuna, velut Luna, and all like that there.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 08:57:31 PM »
Double post.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 09:15:20 PM »
I was wondering how many are familiar with the phrase, "There, but for the grace of God, go I." I used a slight variation of it in an online conversation today, and some people didn't seem to understand what it meant. I must sometimes check to see just how out of touch I am people are.

I use it often. Not daily, but often.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 09:25:50 PM »
Have heard that phrase plenty.  I too thought it was common.  ???
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 09:32:22 PM »
There, however, I think Fisty's right. Whether it's Fistful's God, one's own commitment to an internal rule set, or some other external factor the veneer of what we consider "civilized" is remarkably thin and brittle.

Time and Time again throughout the world, history has shown it doesn't take all that much to get most of us to cry havoc and loose the dogs. We are pretty much all not that far from violence.

That's why men like MLK and Ghandi are revered so much.  We all know, deep down, that we probably wouldn't have stayed peaceful.

Not all that much removed from violence and many other not so nice things. The veneer is thin.

I don't know who said it (probably several different historical figures), but, something about, "it's what you do when there's no one watching that is the true test of character."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 09:32:52 PM »
I'm beginning to think that once again the external locus of control people are running scared that they, too, might turn into raging psychopaths - especially if exposed to the merest of provocation of the "right" kind.

As opposed to the internal locus of control folks who know for certain that they could turn, but that it would be in response to a deliberate decision and know the precise level of provocation that would be needed.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 09:35:59 PM »
So I'm confused.  Are you TBFTGOGGI, as to you becoming a whack-a-doodle mass murderer or the victim of one?

Veering the topic a big (isn't that what we're supposed to do here?)  Last Sunday a 50-ish YO man came into our little church (only 9 people there last week) by himself halfway thru the service and sat on the back row.  Dressed "casual-respectful" but unshaven.  I didn't get a chance to talk to him before he ducked out at the end, but the pastor did.

When we got home, Wife said when he came in she wondered to herself "what if he's a murderer?"  I told her I was sitting behind him and to the left, at the sound mixer, and had him covered.  "You had your gun with you?"  Of course I did, and that's one reason I DON'T have to think "what if he's a murderer" when someone new walks in.  (also the pastor has a carry permit but I don't know if he carries, and we have a retired police officer who can carry w/o a permit but I don't know if he does.  I always assume one of 'em might be)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:48:00 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 09:38:40 PM »
I should hope not. It was a gun blog. I said "there but for the grace of God go we all" in relation to the Charleston wack-a-do, and some seemed to think I was saying that any of them might up and go on a killing spree.

I'm still not sure if folks weren't used to the phrase, or just didn't think it applied in the case of someone who committed such heinous deeds. That I would understand.

What you essentially said was that barring divine intervention you would all be mass-murdering wack-a-dos.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams