Author Topic: There, but for the grace of God...  (Read 3983 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: There, but for the grace of God...
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 09:41:44 PM »
Certainly a common expression, but I got the impression that the posters were only disputing that any of us could be a mass murderer.

Yeah, I think some of the people who disagreed with me were thinking that.

What you essentially said was that barring divine intervention you would all be mass-murdering wack-a-dos.

That would be overstating it a bit, but kinda. Without God's grace, we would all be "absolutely depraved," instead of merely totally depraved.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
Veering the topic a big (isn't that what we're supposed to do here?)  Last Sunday a 50-ish YO man came into our little church (only 9 people there last week) by himself halfway thru the service and sat on the back row.  Dressed "casual-respectful" but unshaven.  I didn't get a chance to talk to him before he ducked out at the end, but the pastor did.

When we got home, Wife said when he came in she wondered to herself "what if he's a murderer?"  I told her I was sitting behind him and to the left, at the sound mixer, and had him covered.  "You had your gun with you?"  Of course I did, and that's one reason I DON'T have to think "what if he's a murder" when someone new walks in.  (also the pastor has a carry permit but I don't know if he carries, and we have a retired police officer who can carry w/o a permit but I don't know if he does.  I always assume one of 'em might be)

I have been thinking about such things since I first started hearing about church-house shootings years ago. We actually had one guy come in about halfway through the service, and sit in the back. Back then, I didn't keep an eye on the door as much as I do now. I didn't know he was there, until he let out a very loud and unexpected AMEN!, or some-such. At the end of the service, our pastor had gone to the back of the sanctuary, and the visitor came up to the front and launched into some kind of prayer or sermon of some kind, until somebody started talking to him, and got him settled down a bit. I don't think he's been back since.

We also had another guy approach our pastor after the service, and tell him he should step down, so this guy could take over his church. But that is only one aspect of the weird with that particular fellow. And that, my friends, is a tale for another installment of fistful's church tales.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 09:50:28 PM »

Yeah, I think some of the people who disagreed with me were thinking that.

That would be overstating it a bit, but kinda. Without God's grace, we would all be "absolutely depraved," instead of merely totally depraved.

Some of us might disagree with that opinion.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 10:15:11 PM »
To the use of the phrase, it was my Mom's response when ever I had something to say about someone who didn't meet my 8 or 9 year old idea of normal. I use it often but rarely need to complete it as all of my compatriots from all over the country understand its meaning.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 06:45:15 AM »
What you essentially said was that barring divine intervention you would all be mass-murdering wack-a-dos.

Or, barring divine intervention we would all be victims of bible study shootings.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 06:46:40 AM »
Without God's grace, we would all be "absolutely depraved," instead of merely totally depraved.

Care to take a try at defining the distinction between "absolutely" as opposed to "totally"? To me they are pretty much synonymous.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: There, but for the grace of God...
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 07:27:18 AM »
I'm beginning to think that once again the external locus of control people are running scared that they, too, might turn into raging psychopaths - especially if exposed to the merest of provocation of the "right" kind.

As opposed to the internal locus of control folks who know for certain that they could turn, but that it would be in response to a deliberate decision and know the precise level of provocation that would be needed.

stay safe.
Ayup.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 10:13:56 AM »
Or, barring divine intervention we would all be victims of bible study shootings.
What's the best caliber of "divine intervention" ?   ;)

Care to take a try at defining the distinction between "absolutely" as opposed to "totally"? To me they are pretty much synonymous.
They are totally synonymous but not absolutely  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »

I'll take a go at telling you how others have defined the terms. Absolute depravity means that people are just as evil as they can be at all times, and in every way. Total depravity means that people aren't always as completely evil as they can be all of the time. Does that get close enough for ya?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 11:42:37 AM »
My depravity is definitely coming to a middle.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

griz

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 12:07:25 PM »

I'll take a go at telling you how others have defined the terms. Absolute depravity means that people are just as evil as they can be at all times, and in every way. Total depravity means that people aren't always as completely evil as they can be all of the time. Does that get close enough for ya?

I'm not the one who asked but I don't understand either.  If somebody is not completely evil that doesn't qualify them as totally depraved in my mind.  In fact I know a lot of good people that I wouldn't call depraved at all.  Clearly I am misunderstanding something.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »
Double post
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:08:29 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2015, 10:47:13 AM »
What's the best caliber of "divine intervention" ?   ;)

Anything that starts with ".4", or larger.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2015, 10:51:52 AM »
Quote from: Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

Evidently, the quest for mastery continues.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2015, 10:54:28 AM »

To be honest, that makes no sense (to me) whatsoever. That (to me) is just playing at taking two words that mean the same thing and trying to make them mean "not quite but almost" the same thing.

TOTALLY: completely or entirely

:  in a total manner :  to a total or complete degree :  wholly, entirely

ABSOLUTELY:  in an absolute manner or condition —often used as an intensive <absolutely brilliant>

:  with respect to absolute values <an absolutely convergent series>

I just don't see any functional difference between the two. I read the second part of your example as "Total depravity means not totally depraved." It's a logical impossibility.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2015, 10:56:19 AM »
"How can you call me depraved when I was never praved?" (Line from someone --Ernie Kovacs?)

I'll play.

I too fail to see much of a distinction between totally depraved and completely depraved, unless someone's trying to force one between "deliberately depraved," (doing nasty things for the pleasure of it) and "casually depraved," as in allowing nasty things as a consequence of other things.

An example might be pure sadism versus killing for food or other legitimate or necessary purposes.  Certainly a lion killing a gazelle is pretty nasty, but there is no intent to deliver pain for the sake of delivering pain.

Otherwise, it just sounds like a debate as to how many angels can dance on the head of a pin... or maybe just arguing for the sake of arguing.

And Road King Larry, I second your notion as stated in Reply #27:

There's a difference between being good because of an internal code of ethics and being good  because of the fear of punishment.  

But perhaps the term "G-d's Grace" is just a way to refer to an internal code of ethics for some of us.

This is brushed on in the Roman Catholic Act of Contrition, which goes,

"Oh, my G-d, I am heartily sorry for all my sins because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of Hell, but most of all, because they offend Thee, my G-d, who art all good and deserving of all my love.  I firmly resolve, with the help of thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my ways, Amen."*

One of the rare instances where there's an indirect reference to what might be called an "externalized but internal code of ethics"  if you will. :)

In other words, "the Grace of G-d."

Terry

*As I recall it from decades ago.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:22:38 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2015, 02:10:37 PM »
To be honest, that makes no sense (to me) whatsoever. That (to me) is just playing at taking two words that mean the same thing and trying to make them mean "not quite but almost" the same thing.

I just don't see any functional difference between the two. I read the second part of your example as "Total depravity means not totally depraved." It's a logical impossibility.

It comes out of arguments between various theological schools. "Total depravity" became a label for a certain point of view, and then others asked if total really meant total. So then they had to invent another term, so some distinction could be made. Obviously, it's not perfect, and requires a little familiarizing with the terminology. Sorta like guns. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »
So, how did they define or differentiate the two?

Complete, total, without exception, and true universally?

versus

Not so complete, total, without exception, and true universally?

I feel partially totally completely praved.