Author Topic: Confederate Flag Insanity  (Read 22002 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Confederate Flag Insanity
« on: June 26, 2015, 09:00:26 AM »
So, what was supposed to be a gesture of goodwill and reconciliation (i.e. removing the Confederate flag from state houses) has become a full on purge.

Give the left and inch and they will take a mile:

http://kotaku.com/apple-yanks-games-with-confederate-flags-from-app-store-1713885047

Apple is banning Civil War games because they have the confederate flag in them.

... These people are insane. This is the equivalent of book burning.

(Please let's not have a rehash of the locked thread. I think we can agree this is insane, at least?)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Confederate Flag Insanity
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »
So, what was supposed to be a gesture of goodwill and reconciliation (i.e. removing the Confederate flag from state houses) has become a full on purge.

No *expletive deleted*it.

Hell, the *expletive deleted*ers want to ban Gone with the Wind http://nypost.com/2015/06/24/gone-with-the-wind-should-go-the-way-of-the-confederate-flag/

They want to destroy Confederate monuments. They are already defacing them.

This isn't about the Confederate flag at all, IMHO. It's about cultural cleansing. And this is the first step. The left has now learned they can successfully suppress something they don't like on a wide scale, and they aren't going to forget that. Right now their efforts are going to be targeted at the South, but it will be used elsewhere.

The left HATES the South with a burning passion for a few reasons, and little to do because of racial history.

1) the South is prosperous and growing. Lots of companies moving to the South because of an environment that is friendlier to businesses on regulatory, tax, and union grounds

2) The South has a lot of fairly conservative people in it who do not like the leftists for various reasons. 

3) The leftist areas are losing people who are moving to the South after getting fed up with bullshit in their home states and cities.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 09:33:54 AM »
The left has now learned they can successfully suppress something they don't like on a wide scale, and they aren't going to forget that. Right now their efforts are going to be targeted at the South, but it will be used elsewhere.

Agree, and lets all please keep this thread moving on that theme so I don't have to lock it like the last one.

What Apple in particular is doing is a scary thing. As was mentioned in another article that I read on their decision - how long before Schindler's list is edited or banned from sale because it shows nazi flags? This is a very slippery, and dangerous slope. If morons like Kayne West want to boycott the Confederate flag or anything else, who cares? But when Amazon and Ebay begin forbidding sales, and giants like Apple ban historical games because they depict historic symbols, it's not long before the textbook editing (already been happening to some degree) becomes widespread. And hey, let's throw in some book burning while we're at it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 09:59:13 AM »
The left is once again showing its true colors. Their endgame would look very much like those of the Soviets, the Chicoms, the Khmer Rouge, Castro, and even the Nazis.

This is almost like a totalitarian regime with one opposing party still holding seats in congress (not that the Republicans are trying to fight).

I have to make a point to talk to neighbors to get their reactions. Maybe the states will secede again.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 11:57:29 AM »
What Apple in particular is doing is a scary thing. As was mentioned in another article that I read on their decision - how long before Schindler's list is edited or banned from sale because it shows nazi flags? This is a very slippery, and dangerous slope. If morons like Kayne West want to boycott the Confederate flag or anything else, who cares? But when Amazon and Ebay begin forbidding sales, and giants like Apple ban historical games because they depict historic symbols, it's not long before the textbook editing (already been happening to some degree) becomes widespread. And hey, let's throw in some book burning while we're at it.

ISIS is going to start looking like the JV team pretty soon.

They want to destroy Confederate monuments. They are already defacing them.

I'm half surprised that our local SCV folks haven't started camping out heavily armed at the Confederate Veterans' memorials at the courthouse and the two main cemeteries.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »
Maybe the states will secede again.

If I thought there was a remote chance of that, I would have hope. Ain't gonna happen, for a number of reasons.

Personally, I'm thinking of leaving the country.

Not just because of the Flag, but because the country is going to hell and I don't know if I can spend the next 50 years of my life watching it.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 12:32:34 PM »

Thank you.  You saved me fro posting the quote.

BTW - I've noticed that the quality of popcorn available while standing by helplessly has begun to seriously deteriorate.  To whom may I speak about this?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 12:35:44 PM »
What if I am offended by the "Rainbow Flag"  ???

:P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 12:37:21 PM »
Honestly, I think the overreach is going to hurt the Left in the long-run. And anyone who thought they could get brownie points by appeasement.

Much like how rad-fems and their utterances do more to harm and turn people away from "mainstream" feminism than any actual opposition to it does.

I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 12:37:55 PM »
The Bruce Jenner Wikipedia page.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 12:41:04 PM »
Honestly, I think the overreach is going to hurt the Left in the long-run. And anyone who thought they could get brownie points by appeasement.

I really, really hope you're right. Swinging pendulum and all that. Yet lately, people and organizations are practically raising their hands and jumping up and down shouting "Me first! Me first!" when there's even a hint of potential appeasing to do.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 12:53:28 PM »

Much like how rad-fems and their utterances do more to harm and turn people away from "mainstream" feminism than any actual opposition to it does.

I wouldn't count it. Social media movements are totally driven by leftists, which in turn drives the regular media, which in turn drives the Overton window and policy (left and right).

Right wing alt media is on constant defense, because the Left is amoral, and they win every single engagement.

The left is totally dominant in all other forms of media and most of high and middle culture, to the point that most Americans don't even realize the water they're swimming in is Marxist-flavored.

The left has been overreaching for the past 6 years, and have grown more bold and more powerful as a result. Much as I would like to see them hit rock bottom, I'm not anticipating it.

It will get worse, and continue to get worse until we are either living under a harder form of fascism or it call comes apart.

I'm not banking on it all coming apart, either. I think we're looking at incremental tyranny with a Praetorian guard of twitter liberals and a useless Fourth Estate that ensure infinite culture force can be instantly brought to bear on any issue that prevents itself.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 12:54:47 PM »

The question is where are you going to find the freedoms and safety we still have here?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 01:10:01 PM »
It's interesting that, with the proven effectiveness of social media harassment, etc; they still feel the need to bring legal force against everyone they disagree with. You tell them that legalizing racial discrimination in the workplace would have no real effect on the ability of racial minorities to find jobs, hotel accommodations, etc, and they just ignore it. They think as soon as we lift any legal pressure on such things, it will all go straight back to Jim Crow.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »
The question is where are you going to find the freedoms and safety we still have here?

I'm actually not worried about it. If I go somewhere else, that is not my country, my line of thought is I can just enjoy living life as an expat and not worry about fighting that country's battles. I would settle for somewhere doing humanitarian work or whatever.

Safety has never been my concern, or my wife's: in fact I enjoy dangerous places (up to a point).

Your point is sound, and up until very recently it would have kept me from exploring long term options abroad.

Now, barring some serious sportiness, America will take their guns along with them to fascism, a useless totem of a bygone era where men solved governance problems with bullets.

Mind you, I'm not disappointed with rank and file gun owners for not randomly shooting politicians. I'm a peaceful man (mostly).

What I am disappointed in is the failure of certain leaders to grapple with the fact that the Nation is in an existential crisis and that parts of it must be amputated in order to save what is left.

In other words, the Union needs to be split in such a way that is economically, culturally, and politically sound. I believe it could be done, without too much headache. With the level of rancour that is currently extant in the country, I think both sides would say "good riddance to bad rubbish." Hopwever, no one on the national stage has yet been bold or stupid enough to suggest something along those line.

RevDisk disagrees with me--he believes attempting to do so would lead to a shooting match.

I feel obligated here to suggest that I am NOT suggesting that the South Rise Again. The South has a lot of problems, most of them stemming from accepting generations of Yankee "charity."

Perhaps a Texas, Montanta, Wyoming, Utah, and a couple others could pull it off.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 01:17:14 PM »
Like it has been brought up already, today it is the Confederate Battle Flag, tomorrow it will be white t-shirts.

When will someone want to ban crucifixes since the KKK burns crosses?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »
Safety has never been my concern, or my wife's: in fact I enjoy dangerous places (up to a point).

I hear there's some cheap housing in Detroit.

Oh wait...that's technically not a foreign country.

In other words, the Union needs to be split in such a way that is economically, culturally, and politically sound.

The problem is the geographic issues; DC, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston and southern California will demand free passage between the parts of their new nation.  They also might resist when we try to forcibly eject the carpetbaggers who belong there but kept moving to real people places and complaining that we don't live the way they want.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 01:36:49 PM »

Puerto Rico would give you the best of both worlds, especially with their latest gun rights ruling. You have to stand in line for stuff a lot though.

There are actually lots of places where, while freedoms aren't codified, they are there in greater abundance than here because the governments don't give a *expletive deleted*it. The downside is that when they do arbitrarily care, it's easy for an ex-pat to get screwed. There's quite a few places where I could enjoy living more than here (if I were willing to give up my guns), but I would definitely have a "Constable Bob Go-Bag<TM>" handy, as well as an exit strategy.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 02:26:32 PM »
Fly this flag and watch heads explode:

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »
If I thought there was a remote chance of that, I would have hope. Ain't gonna happen, for a number of reasons.

Not just because of the Flag, but because the country is going to hell and I don't know if I can spend the next 50 years of my life watching it.

Yep. Ain't going to happen.
Next civil war, if there is one, isn't going to be states against states, its going to be rural against urban, block against block, neighbor against neighbor with the Feds intervening, mostly ineffectually, in some areas. There are a lot of people out there with their own agendas and scores to settle on all sides.
It'll make the Bosnia/Serb/Croate conflict look tame and easy to comprehend in comparison.
Roof was a goober and an idiot. He was an unsympathetic loser attacking a sympathetic group of people.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 04:09:11 PM »
Yep. Ain't going to happen.
Next civil war, if there is one, isn't going to be states against states, its going to be rural against urban, block against block, neighbor against neighbor with the Feds intervening, mostly ineffectually, in some areas. There are a lot of people out there with their own agendas and scores to settle on all sides.
It'll make the Bosnia/Serb/Croate conflict look tame and easy to comprehend in comparison.
Roof was a goober and an idiot. He was an unsympathetic loser attacking a sympathetic group of people.

The Matt Bracken CW2 murder-cube is pretty prescient.

It's a crap-sandwich for sure.

http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/2010/07/bracken-cw2-cube-mapping-meta-terrain.html

And that's a simplification of course, because there's still political Left vs. Right to varying degrees in each of those corners still, and then there's authoritarian/libertarian axis to consider too.

So it's really a fragmented four dimensional matrix.

As brimic knows though, one side listed themselves in a big tidy database with the Walker recall.  [tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 04:21:34 PM »
I wonder if i will live long enough to see a foreign country come to us and just take us over like a distressed property at a bankruptcy sale

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 04:24:56 PM »
I wonder if i will live long enough to see a foreign country come to us and just take us over like a distressed property at a bankruptcy sale

Much of the USSA already looks like a foreign country to me.

San Diego, for instance.  I thought maybe that I had dropped into some "Firefly" setting  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 04:26:19 PM »
I hear you. Its especially disheartening when its a place you know and used to like

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 04:32:50 PM »
Next civil war, if there is one, isn't going to be states against states, its going to be rural against urban, block against block, neighbor against neighbor with the Feds intervening, mostly ineffectually, in some areas.

Rural vs urban wouldn't be that much of a fight after the initial skirmishes and a transportation blockade; how many days of food does the typical city have stored or have the ability to produce?

Sure, some rural folks won't do too well without their meds from the city doc, but the rest will be eating just fine while the urban population is looking at a dwindling critical resource.  Not too many major power plants in major cities either, so they better eat the frozen foods first.