Author Topic: SCOTUS strikes down ban on gay marriage  (Read 51000 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Re: SCOTUS strikes down ban on gay marriage
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 12:54:39 PM »
The other legal battle that will likely ensue will be forcing churches to perform gay, poly, etc. marriages with the stick for not doing so being revocation of tax exempt status.

Equality =/= freedom.

Easy solution - stop giving out the marriage certificate in the church. If the church isn't giving out government documents, there is no reason whatsoever for the government to tell them what to do. A church that does not wish interference can simply perform ceremonies with no paperwork.This doesn't need to be a law, just a decision on the part of the church. 
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
Easy solution - stop giving out the marriage certificate in the church. If the church isn't giving out government documents, there is no reason whatsoever for the government to tell them what to do. A church that does not wish interference can simply perform ceremonies with no paperwork.This doesn't need to be a law, just a decision on the part of the church. 

Need to do what Germany does

http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/getting_married/

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 12:56:25 PM »
What about it? It's plenty traditional, and I have yet to see a coherent explanation of why it's bad. Sure, you get more in-laws, but it's not the job of the government to protect people from bad decisions.

Nobody's keeping you from binding yourself to as many men or women or cabbages as you choose. But heaven forbid government not be involved in your kooky relationships.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 12:58:11 PM »

:lol:  Tell that to your local baker.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 01:08:23 PM »

:lol:  Tell that to your local baker.

Exactly why this going through SCOTUS the way it did will be a problem (it doesn't need to be, but the same people who are banning the Confederate flag will make it one).

Again, given the gay / non-gay ratio in the population,  I see it as a net loss of freedom.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »
So anyone got any leads on a good island? Unsettled small country sized block of land? Somewhere with easy to subjugate locals we could take over?

Cause I'm about tired of this *expletive deleted*it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 01:33:19 PM »
So anyone got any leads on a good island? Unsettled small country sized block of land? Somewhere with easy to subjugate locals we could take over?

The moon has a weight loss bonus.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »

Easy solution in government??   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I predict churches who don't tow the sodomists' line on gay marriage will be sued within a year.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 02:00:41 PM »
Easy solution in government??   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I predict churches who don't tow the sodomists' line on gay marriage will be sued within a year.

Exactly.  The 1st amendment has been basically dissolved at the present time anyway.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »
Easy solution in government??   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Wouldn't be surprised. And I'll be interested to see how many church's will refuse, as they've said they would.

What I'd love to see is for a state to tell SCOTUS to go to hell and refuse to issue the licenses, in accordance with their laws/constitutions, on the basis that their ruling is a blatant overreach of federal authority.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »
So a law restricting people,from doing something they otherwise would do is gone.  Freedom is on the retreat?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 02:21:38 PM »
Easy solution in government??   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The gays have long had that exact "easy solution".  Nobody was withholding from them the freedom to do their own thing: they could've loved whoever they wanted, held their religious ceremonies, made their vows, lived and slept together, and called it whatever they wanted.  

But that was never acceptable to them.  The goal was to force people to agree with gay marriage.  Letting gay people live their own lives and do their own thing doesn't serve that end.

Letting churches do their own thing doesn't serve that end, so don't expect that to be acceptable.

You will conform.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 02:35:31 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 02:26:56 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised. And I'll be interested to see how many church's will refuse, as they've said they would.

What I'd love to see is for a state to tell SCOTUS to go to hell and refuse to issue the licenses, in accordance with their laws/constitutions, on the basis that their ruling is a blatant overreach of federal authority.

Me too. Love to see a State (s) tell SCOTUS pound sand.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 02:34:29 PM »
So a law restricting people,from doing something they otherwise would do is gone.  Freedom is on the retreat?

A law forcing people to do something they otherwise wouldn't do has been enacted. Freedom is on the retreat.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 02:52:58 PM »
Need to do what Germany does

http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/getting_married/

That's bassackwards.  Of all the features of a marriage, a piece of paperwork signed by a government registrar would seem to be the least relevant.  

If a couple does everything a marriage normally entails (wedding, vows, changing names, living together as a family, buying property, conceiving & raising kids, etc) except get that registrar's signoff, would anyone argue seriously that they aren't married?

But that registrar's signoff is the only factor German law considers?  

And I suppose our law is no better.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 02:54:36 PM »
This. I could care less about the gays getting married. I am more worried about stuff like churches and pastors being forced to perform marriages they do not want to.

Ditto.

Also, the SJWs are already fighting amongst themselves about this issue. Hilarious.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 04:17:16 PM »
That's bassackwards.  Of all the features of a marriage, a piece of paperwork signed by a government registrar would seem to be the least relevant.  

If a couple does everything a marriage normally entails (wedding, vows, changing names, living together as a family, buying property, conceiving & raising kids, etc) except get that registrar's signoff, would anyone argue seriously that they aren't married?

But that registrar's signoff is the only factor German law considers?  

And I suppose our law is no better.

Germany treats marriage/union as a legal contract, not a religious action.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2015, 04:52:07 PM »

For the most part, so do we.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 05:04:41 PM »
Where does the federal government have the authority tell states what marriage licenses they MUST issue? I don't care where one stands on pseudo marriage of folks of the same sex, the Feds and therefor SCOTUS, have no authority to dictate such.

States rights, and people's rights within states that choose not to issue marriage license to homosexuals, have been massively eroded. So yes, it's on the retreat.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 05:13:51 PM »
Where does the federal government have the authority tell states what marriage licenses they MUST issue? I don't care where one stands on pseudo marriage of folks of the same sex, the Feds and therefor SCOTUS, have no authority to dictate such.

States rights, and people's rights within states that choose not to issue marriage license to homosexuals, have been massively eroded. So yes, it's on the retreat.

States, like all governments, do not have rights. They have powers.

Individuals have rights.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2015, 05:20:49 PM »
States, like all governments, do not have rights. They have powers.

Individuals have rights.
And that makes any difference to the point....how exactly?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2015, 05:24:24 PM »
For the most part, so do we.

Why do you say that?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2015, 05:41:26 PM »
Many, Many, Many Americans get married without involving a church at all.

Even those that do involve a church, make sure they conform to the secular requirements.  An American marriage license doesn't have a spot for which church married them, nor does it have a spot for the churches approval/disapproval.

If you were to look at the documents of a married couple you would be hard pressed to know their religion, but would know the government entity that approved it down to the county level.

[snark on] and 50% of them dissolve with the assistance of lawyers.[/snark]

How is that not more like a contract?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2015, 05:53:17 PM »

And that should be the extent of government involvement; recognizing the contract and potentially mediating disputes when it is dissolved.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2015, 06:13:25 PM »
Many, Many, Many Americans get married without involving a church at all.

Even those that do involve a church, make sure they conform to the secular requirements.  An American marriage license doesn't have a spot for which church married them, nor does it have a spot for the churches approval/disapproval.

If you were to look at the documents of a married couple you would be hard pressed to know their religion, but would know the government entity that approved it down to the county level.

[snark on] and 50% of them dissolve with the assistance of lawyers.[/snark]

How is that not more like a contract?

That looks like a false dichotomy of either govt or church, and if it's not a religious ceremony, it's all government's territory. I think you're leaving out the very large part that personal, familial, and social motives play in marriage vows. For example, as a religious person, part of my reluctance to divorcing my wife would be the fact that I gave my word to God that I would "have and hold for better or worse," etc. But I've never heard of anybody saying, "Hey, Jim, how can you do this? You swore to the justice of the peace that you would love her always in sickness and in health, and now you're just blowing it all off?". If we're offended about someone leaving their spouse, it's usually because the spouse is terminally ill, or because we think they should stay together for the children, that sort of thing.* The government is just a functionary that keeps the records, and demands some i's be dotted before the arrangement is done away with.

*My point is not that people should stay together for their children. I'm not looking to start that stupid debate.