Author Topic: Evangelical churches address a new reality  (Read 11865 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Evangelical churches address a new reality
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2015, 09:29:21 AM »
Then you better have the appropriate power of attorney or advance directive.  Or got your marriage license signed by a judge.  Even if its an either/or thing, clergy can perform marriages and not sign the license.

What would be the difference? if the couple's legal entitlements change, that's as civil as it gets.  If they don't then what's the marriage?

The best thing that can come from all this reexamination is a reexamination of divorce.  Maybe gay marriages will result in divorce rules that are less blatantly man hating. 

I always tell my friends that choosing a good church to be married in is important - you'll need their charity bin when divorce time comes. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2015, 10:15:37 AM »
What would be the difference? if the couple's legal entitlements change, that's as civil as it gets.  If they don't then what's the marriage?

I think we've been through all this before, and it didn't end well.  Obviously, marriage means something special to many of us, but to you it is just a legal instrument.  Nobody is going to change their mind.

On the "good news" side: a trio in Billings has applied for a marriage license to add a second wife  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2015, 10:19:21 AM »

On the "good news" side: a trio in Billings has applied for a marriage license to add a second wife  :laugh:

Funny today... 20 years from now, there will be 12 year old boys being added to the 'marriages' of fabulous duos, and you'll be a bigot for speaking up against it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2015, 10:27:52 AM »
Funny today... 20 years from now, there will be 12 year old boys being added to the 'marriages' of fabulous duos, and you'll be a bigot for speaking up against it.

It will be interesting to see how the "progressives" reconcile that with their abhorrence of anything remotely resembling child abuse today  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2015, 10:32:27 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the "progressives" reconcile that with their abhorrence of anything remotely resembling child abuse today  =|

Whew, THAT made me laugh out loud.

As though they have ever had a problem with cognitive dissonance.

Doublethink: To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again: and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself. That was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word 'doublethink' involved the use of doublethink.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2015, 10:33:47 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the "progressives" reconcile that with their abhorrence of anything remotely resembling child abuse today

More interesting will be sensible people marrying others' fetuses to prevent abortions.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2015, 10:36:28 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the "progressives" reconcile that with their abhorrence of anything remotely resembling child abuse today  =|

They've been ignoring child abuse by their own for as long as I remember. Some are even heroes to them, Pulanski, Allen ...

Then of course we have the whole pedo island rumor and multiple Hollywood underage sex scandals that just get swept away.

It's only "all about the children" in theory, not about actual human beings.  
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
Marriage is an inherently legal creature, even though the relationships underneath it aren't.

I concur, almost. I'll only quibble with the wording. I would say it's even more a social and religious creature, but I don't think you meant to rule that out.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2015, 10:52:18 AM »

This. If the same-sex taboo can be so rapidly inverted into a taboo against heterosexism, then non-consent shaming can be easily added to the new list of sins that dare not speak their names.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2015, 11:27:34 AM »

WWG --> WWT --> WWPolygamy --> WWPedophilia

If they abhorred child abuse, they would target the demographics that most sexually abuse children.  They do not, so I make the reasonable assumption that they do not truly care about the sexual abuse of minors.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2015, 12:13:28 PM »

Marriage is an inherently legal creature, even though the relationships underneath it aren't.

The state's so-called marriage is a legal construct.  The church's so-called marriage is religious construct.  The two have little todo with the other, but they do have a *lot* of overlap -- and they are starting to diverge.
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2015, 12:48:47 PM »
The state's so-called marriage is a legal construct.  The church's so-called marriage is religious construct.  The two have little todo with the other, but they do have a *lot* of overlap -- and they are starting to diverge.

The state will not allow a divergence- count on it. The State needs the churches to tow the line to salvage any legitimacy left in the State.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama