Author Topic: No offense but I'm tired of hearing about the Pope(s)  (Read 1845 times)

telewinz

• friend
No offense but I'm tired of hearing about the Pope(s)
« on: April 24, 2005, 06:22:28 AM »
I agree, he was/is a great man, he is a saint(?), he is/was a World leader, Catholics number one billion faithful, the new Pope is not a reformer and served in the Hitler Youth and the German Army (against his will?).  Ok. lets move on, enough media pandering.
Career Corrections

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 06:26:17 AM »
I agree with you. I was tired of hearing about the pope before he even died.

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 06:53:03 AM »
Yep, I'm in the same boat.  I understand it's important, but it seems like we're just hearing about trivial information.

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 08:40:43 AM »
Yep, me too.  He was a good man, but enough already.  And did I miss something?  Is there any other reason flags have been at half mast for the last however long?  If not, could we please move along?
No offense meant to our Catholic contingent, but given that a new Pope has been elected, I think it's time to move on to other matters.

James

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 10:28:58 AM »
I heard on the radio that they chose a rap singer to be pope.

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 11:00:49 AM »
Bah, you can never get enough infotainment on the new Pope. It beats the endless rehashing of the Michael Jackson case.

God almighty, what a relief it is when a volcano, or new Pope, or anything else diverts these obsessive-compulsives at Fox News et al. away from the latest murder trial they're using to sell soap.

PBS carried the Pope's installation mass today. Fox spent the majority of that time replaying scenes of Michael Jackson walking into a courtroom, and scenes of his ex-wife. And I mean these talking heads at Fox probably replayed these two scenes 25 times in a hour, interspresed with ads for home loans from DiTech.com : "lost another loan to Ditech" yes, and another potential customer to your freaking mind-numbing repitition of that stinking ad. Hell must be a lot like an eternity of watching Fox News.

Bring on more of the new Pope.
"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

Warbow

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 07:41:21 PM »
Quote from: Cool Hand Luke 22:36
Bah, you can never get enough infotainment on the new Pope. It beats the endless rehashing of the Michael Jackson case.

God almighty, what a relief it is when a volcano, or new Pope, or anything else diverts these obsessive-compulsives at Fox News et al. away from the latest murder trial they're using to sell soap.

PBS carried the Pope's installation mass today. Fox spent the majority of that time replaying scenes of Michael Jackson walking into a courtroom, and scenes of his ex-wife. And I mean these talking heads at Fox probably replayed these two scenes 25 times in a hour, interspresed with ads for home loans from DiTech.com : "lost another loan to Ditech" yes, and another potential customer to your freaking mind-numbing repitition of that stinking ad. Hell must be a lot like an eternity of watching Fox News.

Bring on more of the new Pope.
cheesy cheesy cheesy

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 11:38:36 AM »
I'm tired of hearing about most people on the news.  Why is MJ geting so much attention?  Or peterson?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

XLMiguel

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 03:54:23 PM »
jefnvk - It's because there's more bandwidth than news .  That's not really true, but the really interesting stuff requires more than 30 seconds to absorb, and also requires that you pay attnetion and are able to digest compound and complex sentences.  That and there's only so much news the American publik can abosorb in 20 min., when the majority of the audience has an attention span only slightly longer than a chipmunk's.

So rather than things that might actually effect your life like tax reform, SS reform, healthcare, securing the borders, etc, we get sensational and useless crap about MJ, run-a-way brides, the Pope, natural disasteratorcity du jour, American Idol and sportsblather.  I guess that's why conservative talk radio is doing so well.

When there isn't much going on, sometimes '15 minutes of fame' can go on a while, or, the reason talk is cheap is because the supply generally exceeds the demand.