Author Topic: LED bulb recommendations?  (Read 939 times)

cordex

• Administrator
LED bulb recommendations?
« on: August 30, 2015, 01:07:19 AM »
My power company (as with most, I imagine) has an additional charge built in to their bills that they use to provide incentives to improve energy efficiency via installing more efficient appliances, adding insulation and so forth. One "benefit" - I.e. way I can get some of my swindled money back - is that I can buy LED bulbs at a discount.

The capsule type bulbs they offer are a 10 watt TCP, a 10.5 watt slim Phillips and three types of CREE bulbs (11w, 9.5w and 6w).

Among their candelabra base bulbs they offer TCP 5w and Phillips 4.5w.

Any suggestions from these options?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: LED bulb recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 01:34:13 AM »
TCP makes decent lamps. Philips are good. Cree I hear good things about, but they tend to be a real goofy shape, if that's an issue for where you're using them.

What do you mean by capsule bulb?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 01:45:35 AM »
Thanks fistful.  So no bad choices if I don't care about goofy shapes?  The 11 Watt CREE is a 4Flow model which is almost identical in shape to an incandescent.  I don't know how much I really care, though.
What do you mean by capsule bulb?
Just using the terminology from their website.  I think they mean "as opposed to a silly spiral".

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 01:47:39 AM »
No experience with TCP, my Philips work fine, I had a couple crees blow on me but Home Despot swapped them without argument.

Fistful: Capsule probably means 'enclosed like a regular bulb'.

You consider this a goofy shape for a light bulb?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 08:57:10 AM »
I've used both the Cree and Philips lamps. Hard to go wrong either way. The Cree lamps Firethorn linked are good performers for the price, just not dimmable. I have a Cree 3-way in my nightstand lamp and like it. A lot. The lighting at each illumination level is perfect for the location and the low-power step consumes a miserly 3 watts.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 09:12:50 AM »
I've used all three brands with  no issues. You probably can't go too wrong. I tend to prefer CREE but that's likely just brand recognition from CREE LED'S in my flashlights. (Where they also work really well)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 09:19:07 AM »
We've got many Cree and Ecosmart LED bulbs we've purchased from Home Depot over the last several years.  Nary a problem with any of them.  I prefer the Cree only because they've gotten a buck or so cheaper than the Ecosmart bulbs.  That's reverse of how they started out years back.
I only have one or two Phillips bulbs.  No problems there.
I have three of the TCP connected home bulbs in porch lights.  Aside from losing the network control occasionally and the bulbs not turning on or off at the appointed times, they work okay.  I don't know if the connectivity issue is with the bulbs or the controller.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »
Cree generally have good spectrum in each price segment, and run cool. Some Feit bulbs appear very  competitive on lumens-per-dollar, but run very hot (for an LED).
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 08:05:05 PM »
I know nothing of the brands you're talking about, first hand, but CREE does have a good name.  I heard somewhere that the good LED bulbs generally use CREE internals.  I think that was on APS actually.

In my house I've had really good luck with the Fiet made bulbs sold by Costco.  It's a typical shaped bulb (I think A19 is the style but I'm not certain) that's equivalent to a 60W incandescent and dimmable.  I like them.  I got a slew on sale for $3 a pop.  Very worth it.  Their flood lights are nice too but I don't use them as much.  I will though, it's just a matter of older CFLs burning out.

I've also started replacing metal halide bulbs at work that run at 150W with 22W "corn cob" style bulbs sold by Hyperikon through Amazon.  Holy heck do I like them!  You have to bypass the ballast used in HID lights for the LED version to work but that just cuts out another part that needs maintenance.  At home I just replaced some 4ft flourescent tubes with Hyperikon LED tubes and they're just like HID -- you have to (or should) bypass the ballast.  This particular fixture went TU 5 years ago, I tried replacing the tubes but that didn't work so I did the ballasts and that didn't work, and I have no idea WTF I did wrong.  Maybe I had bad tubes maybe I had speced out the ballasts wrong, maybe I wired it all up wrong.  I rewired it for LED (which is balls dead simple) and that room with the 72W of LED in there is freaking BRIGHT.

I would never replace a single metal halide bulb or florescent one ever again.  LED all the way on those ones.