Author Topic: Questions About First Motorcycle  (Read 15756 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Questions About First Motorcycle
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2015, 02:42:52 PM »

I see a lot of people wearing hi-vis colors as of recent- it beats the heck out of pavement colored gear.

Back when I was a paramedic, and taking care of bicyclists and motorcyclists who had been run over by cars, I would sometimes talk to the driver that struck them, and inevitably, the driver would say 'I never saw them'.  Ever since, I try to wear high-viz when I am on the motorcycle or bicycles, just to try and stack the odds in my favor.  It is no magic bullet, but I figure that every bit helps.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »
It's Air Force policy for ATGATT, even off duty, which is fine by me. I might be tempted to get a 3/4 helmet for back roads but my full helmet will be used on the highway.

Currently I have a padded mesh jacket in hi-vis yellow with 3M material all over it. When the weather gets cooler I have a padded leather jacket and a hi-vis vest to go over it. Right now I don't have riding pants though.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »
Back when I was a paramedic, and taking care of bicyclists and motorcyclists who had been run over by cars, I would sometimes talk to the driver that struck them, and inevitably, the driver would say 'I never saw them'.  Ever since, I try to wear high-viz when I am on the motorcycle or bicycles, just to try and stack the odds in my favor.  It is no magic bullet, but I figure that every bit helps.

The last jacket I bought on closeout, they didn't have any yellow or orange left, but I scored one that is reflective white, front and back.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/intake_air_series_3_jacket.html
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2015, 11:10:38 PM »
I was only hit once by a car. From behind, at a stop sign. I don't think any high vis clothing would have helped-she expected me to run the stop sign, like everyone else did. What might have helped, and what i have on my bike now, is a flashing LED display linked to the brake lights.

Motion attracts vision- a headlight modulator might be a good idea. Any more, I assume every person on the road is going to pull out in front of me, rear end me, pass into my lane, or any other hair-brained action possible. I stay away from cars and trucks as much as possible. 

birdman

• friend
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2015, 10:58:36 AM »
I've been hit. 
Woman did a U-turn in the middle of the Harvard bridge (mass ave between Boston and Cambridge), and pushed me laterally about 3-4ft (bumper to boot to peg), and then drove off.
I didn't crash, and my Sidi's saved my ankle.

I pressed charges (hit and run).

Gear saved my ankle.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
How many Smoots was that?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2015, 12:35:27 PM »
Fatalities per mile driven on  motorcycles are HEAVILY skewed by folks who aren't properly trained, are riding much too powerful bikes for their skill, and don't wear PPE.

In last year's crash I wore a classic leather jacket from River Road - very thick leather and a kidney pad built in, no armor. Kept skin attached, but I had a goose egg on my elbow. Had kevlar-lined jeans, got a dime-size rug burn from the jeans twisting around the leg. Had a spot on the knee where denim wore through, but kevlar held up.

This year's crash I wore a PowerTrip mesh jacket with leather sleeves and armor in forearms/elbows/shoulders/back. Slight bruise on elbow, pads held up. Had jeans with hard pads, no leg damage, except a bone bruise where I landed on my heel.

The synthesis of the content of these two posts is telling us something, I suspect, though I don't have the experience/data to properly suss it out.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2015, 03:24:58 PM »
I made a decision.  I got a 1986 Yamaha YX600 Radian in excellent condition for $1400.  It's got 15k miles, 66hp, and weighs 430 lbs dry.  I've taken it around my apartment complex, and had no trouble with the basic controls, but I can't take it out onto the street until I register it next week.  But it's mine, and I am happy so far.

=D

LOL my brother just rode his harley down from Colorado and spent a few days with us.  I'm a short dude, and his bike is like almost a thousand pounds.  Big and heavy.  I sat on it and took it off the stand that's about as far as I got.
But I've always wanted to ride.  I've not ridden a bike since maybe 20 years ago, riding dirt bikes. 
Seeing that Yamaha of yours increases the temptation
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2015, 03:58:58 PM »
LOL my brother just rode his harley down from Colorado and spent a few days with us.  I'm a short dude, and his bike is like almost a thousand pounds.  Big and heavy.  I sat on it and took it off the stand that's about as far as I got.
But I've always wanted to ride.  I've not ridden a bike since maybe 20 years ago, riding dirt bikes. 
Seeing that Yamaha of yours increases the temptation

I'm 6'4" 250ish- the first (2nd, 3rd, 4th...) time sitting on a full sized harley was intimidating to me too.. not a beginner's bike.... in fact their so-called 'beginner's bike' (Sportster) isn't a great beginners bike either- they are way too top heavy.
I work with a guy who has owned a Road King for about 5 years and has only rode it twice- he's afraid of it.

Barack Obama

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2015, 04:31:28 PM »
The synthesis of the content of these two posts is telling us something, I suspect, though I don't have the experience/data to properly suss it out.

We still occasionally lose a trained person wearing PPE on a cruiser or standard motorcycle, but when you read the accident reports you realize that they'd often still be just as dead if they were in a car or other vehicle short of something armored. 

Stuff like 'oncoming car crossed the median...'

Where you get the most deaths though, are things like 'Squiddies'.  Probably because they're traditionally navy, though with current ops other services have caught up some.

You have a junior enlisted get back from a deployment, pocket full of sea pay(or deployment).  They go out and buy a 'cool bike', paying cash for a 1k or so CC sport bike.  They haven't ever ridden a motorcycle before, and they take off, barely knowing the controls, without a helmet or other safety gear, and splat themselves into something unmoving at high velocity because they don't even know how to stop, much less turn.

When they detailed the deaths of the year once, over half of them were violating regulations and were within their first month of riding - no BRC, missing significant PPE(like helmet), etc...

The sport bike category was so bad by itself that they were putting together supplemental training  for them when I left.  Without them motorcycles were only a little elevated in danger over cars.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2015, 07:47:10 PM »
I know it's a repro, but I find my pants getting tighter just the same
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcd/5182635303.html
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

birdman

• friend
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2015, 07:57:43 PM »

Not necessarily...I've crashed at least three, maybe 4 times...I don't remember.  All low sides.  gravel for one, wet paint strip + cut off by taxi for two, and a crash or two at least on the track.  I would classify my riding skills as "adequate" (given that up until 2010 i raced in a regional series and would place top-10).  When it comes to crashing, it's a U-shaped distribution.  Newbs crash, then get better, then start pushing limits (hopefully on the track) and crash more due to lower margin.

Most professional racers will crash -multiple-, if not many, times per season (mainly in practice)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2015, 08:41:38 PM »
Found one for roo_ster:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2015, 09:03:57 PM »
What the.., kill it with fire!

Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2015, 11:07:38 PM »
Found one for roo_ster:

That is...a remarkable piece of hardware.  Unique, even.  Or hopefully (unique), because two of them might be cause for worry.  About daring Fate to send us Lucifer's Hammer.

Not necessarily...I've crashed at least three, maybe 4 times...I don't remember.  All low sides.  gravel for one, wet paint strip + cut off by taxi for two, and a crash or two at least on the track.  I would classify my riding skills as "adequate" (given that up until 2010 i raced in a regional series and would place top-10). When it comes to crashing, it's a U-shaped distribution.  Newbs crash, then get better, then start pushing limits (hopefully on the track) and crash more due to lower margin.

Most professional racers will crash -multiple-, if not many, times per season (mainly in practice)

Gotcha.

I am assuming these are rather minor crashes, then?  Even so, it has got to be hard on rider & bike.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2015, 07:13:43 PM »
That is...a remarkable piece of hardware.  Unique, even.  Or hopefully (unique), because two of them might be cause for worry.  About daring Fate to send us Lucifer's Hammer.

Gotcha.

I am assuming these are rather minor crashes, then?  Even so, it has got to be hard on rider & bike.

Depends. Generally great riders push it in relatively safe conditions. A get off on the track can be extremely minor, even given the higher speeds and more aggressive riding. Then there's *expletive deleted*it like supermoto, where multiple crashes per day are a sign you're pushing hard enough ;-)
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

birdman

• friend
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2015, 11:17:04 PM »

Bike, yes, but that's what spares are for.

Rider, eh, bruises, but that's what leather and armor are for.  Every time I've thanked my gear and upgraded.
hell, the gloves I have now have zero cow...all 'roo and stingray.  Suit is all roo.  Them hoppity bastards make for good leather.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2015, 01:27:56 AM »
Stingray leather is even tougher than 'roo.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2015, 08:38:01 AM »
Stingray leather is even tougher than 'roo.

Yup, that's why I have it in my gloves.  Held Phantom II,  Best gloves I've ever had...and I've had quite a few.
When racing you rapidly learn that gear is where it's important to not cheap out.  Good gloves are bucks...but make all the difference.  These protect like steel, but have great feel.

Also, with any leather product proper break-in and forming is key.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »
Held gloves are the nicest ones I have ever felt.

I have a Held tankbag, but it always makes me worry. I wish it was a "Hold" . =D

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2015, 06:40:02 PM »
I've had 3 sets from Held, nothing fits better. I get about 5 years out of a set, and the fingertips are getting thin on my current Thrux gloves. I don't like that a lot of their newer gloves have a perforated palm and fingers.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »
Last night the check oil light came on for the first five minutes of a 30 minute ride. After work I'll check the oil level, but I don't know what weight of oil to buy if I need to add some. Any suggestions?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2015, 10:14:57 AM »
Download a pdf manual if you can

I've used the cheap rotella T from Wally World in many a Japanese bike
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2015, 10:25:03 AM »
Last night the check oil light came on for the first five minutes of a 30 minute ride. After work I'll check the oil level, but I don't know what weight of oil to buy if I need to add some. Any suggestions?

Wal-mart: Shell Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 at $ 7 per quart.  I have been using this consistently over the years in a variety of motorcycles and scooters.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2015, 10:52:04 AM »

Have you changed the fluids yet? If not, might as well, you don't know what level of maintenance the former owner kept up. While you are at it, might as well check everything and get to know your bike inside and out.

On my recently purchased bike, I'm finding that the former owner was an astounding idiot- stripped oil pan plug, rear wheel out of alignment by 1/4" (spec is +/- 1/32"), unoiled K&N filter, no seat screw (he gave me some bullshit biker wisdom about not having to carry a screwdriver to remove the seat if there was a problem on the road), front tire mounted backwards (he told me it had good tires, but date codes say otherwise, and carbeurator over jetted.

Its taken me a few weeks to sort through everything and I have new tires in the mail right now,  but never assume that the previous owner was competent in anything related to motorcycle maintenace.

Barack Obama