Author Topic: Questions About First Motorcycle  (Read 15742 times)

Grebnaws

• friend
Re: Questions About First Motorcycle
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »
Pass on the kz750 twin. For old KZs you want the model with 4 cylinders not 2. I started on a kz550ltd and had to learn a lot of repair and troubleshooting in the first few years. It looked great but it had typical problems from being neglected. I loved that little 4cyl engine once it was properly sorted out. My midsized vintage bike today is a cx500 and I'd trade it for a nice old KZ in a heartbeat.

If cruisers are your thing the world is full of excellent "starter" sized bikes that people got for their wives and were never ridden, or ridden shortly before moving to something larger. You really can't go wrong with anything relatively new from the Big 4, just find a good one that's been maintained. If you can afford it pay extra for fuel injection, and if you're not inclined to begin a motorcycle workshop be sure to get a belt or shaft drive too.

The new variety of standard motorcycles are still on the sporty side of things IMO but the <500cc class is opening up again. If you're buying newer check out the current Honda cb500 series of bikes, they will be be similar-ish in size/performance to the often recommended sv650. You can do a lot with smaller machines but for the occasional weekender or road trip you will miss the cubes and storage. We have 4 motorcycles and they all have luggage racks or travel bags.

If you like your 250cc Nighthawk maybe check out the new Ninja 300. You will have to get your butt onto a lot of bikes in person to really make a decision. Window shopping is fun but you could hate riding what you love the looks of. I have never owned a new motorcycle and would get carried away telling you what I'd like to buy rather than what you ought to buy for yourself. Just don't buy anything that needs work or is costly to repair. Pay extra up front for something you know is good. If you need to pay a shop for that kind of advice or warranty you should do it. Nothing worse than pulling out a repair manual when you'd rather be riding.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 04:39:13 PM »
Ducati 1199 superleggera. 

Kidding of course. 
I second SV650.  They are available cheap, easy to fix, tons of aftermarket support, and fun as balls.
(I actually race one in CCS lightweight after switching from my Ducati for racing)

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
A Suzuki V-Strom DL650 has the same motor as the Sv650, but a much more comfortable (for me) upright riding position.  ABS brakes, fuel injection, a great ride.  Same horsepower and torque as my old dream bike, a 1970 Honda CB750k.

Only drawback is that it really needs an aftermarket windscreen from California Scientific.  Before that, at highway speed, it was like having your head in a paint-can shaker.  After that, smoooooooth sailing.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 10:18:12 PM »
^^^After many years of owning various motorcycles, often more than one at a time, I have had my Suzuki DL650 for three years now, and am quite happy with it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 12:02:49 AM »
A Suzuki V-Strom DL650 has the same motor as the Sv650, but a much more comfortable (for me) upright riding position.  ABS brakes, fuel injection, a great ride.  Same horsepower and torque as my old dream bike, a 1970 Honda CB750k.

Only drawback is that it really needs an aftermarket windscreen from California Scientific.  Before that, at highway speed, it was like having your head in a paint-can shaker.  After that, smoooooooth sailing.

I still am of the opinion that the DL650 is the best all-around motorcycle on the market. My 1000 even, did quite well at everything, including passing squids on GSXRs at a track day
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 06:50:00 AM »
Any opinions on Royal Enfield? I could buy an Ishapore .308 to go with it.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 07:34:26 AM »
Any opinions on Royal Enfield? I could buy an Ishapore .308 to go with it.

They didn't use enough threadlock at the factory, so you need to watch for bolts loosening, you need to adjust valves pretty much every time you ride until the parts break in, and you might want to order a spare bottom end bearing, they have a habit of siezing occasionally. Other than that the reliability has improved over the years and it can be a fun bike if you're not in a hurry.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 09:24:20 AM »
Speaking seriously now, taking the MSF Course was a great 1st step! The suggested gearing up is MANDATORY! Road rash SUCKS! BTDT, got the scars. The suggestion not to buy too small a bike is a good one. A 250 is fun off road and will get ya to the corner store but is not going to cut it i traffic. I would look at something in the 450cc to 600cc area. That will be acceptable as your skills and your desire to ride more increase (and they will).

Me? I have been on motorcycles since I was 8. Started racing at 9. Even was a top 10 finisher in a National Enduro race. Been riding on the street since I was 18 and still have my MC endorsement. Even though I couldn't ride more than a block without being in pain, I am still involved with the DoD MC in a few positions. If ya wanna hang out with some cyber biker/geek types, check us out.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 06:10:05 PM »
I made a decision.  I got a 1986 Yamaha YX600 Radian in excellent condition for $1400.  It's got 15k miles, 66hp, and weighs 430 lbs dry.  I've taken it around my apartment complex, and had no trouble with the basic controls, but I can't take it out onto the street until I register it next week.  But it's mine, and I am happy so far.

=D

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2015, 06:24:10 PM »
Excellent buy!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2015, 06:34:09 PM »
Very good.  Low miles.  My '08 has that many on it!

66hp?  That's more than my bike as well.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 07:23:40 PM »
I made a decision.  I got a 1986 Yamaha YX600 Radian in excellent condition for $1400.  It's got 15k miles, 66hp, and weighs 430 lbs dry.  I've taken it around my apartment complex, and had no trouble with the basic controls, but I can't take it out onto the street until I register it next week.  But it's mine, and I am happy so far.

=D

Nice looking bike but who's the goofy looking goober in the picture with it?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2015, 08:22:23 PM »
Just the local wanna-be writer/hack with the conversational acumen of a bowl of crushed oreos.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2015, 10:35:21 PM »
I am officially an old fart so I get to toss out unsolicited advice ! =D

Time to find a damn good rider in your area to train with. Especially braking and cornering. Also judgement and situational awareness. You will not believe the stuff a biker will be aware of, that a car driver never even thinks about.
 Maybe go buy a copy of "Proficient Motorcycling" by Dave Hough. 
 IMO, commuting is the most dangerous thing you can do on a bike- it guarantees lots of traffic, and distracted and tired drivers. Please spend some time away from traffic while you get up to speed.
 And check your tires date- regardless of tread, old rubber gets hard and loses grip.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2015, 10:35:41 PM »
I've enjoyed my 650 V-Star(yamaha, cruiser).  Enough go for one rider on the highway, but don't expect much past 80.

Considering that Devonai lives in Connecticut, where the fastest speed limit is 65 and that's only on a few sections of Interstate, not being able to cruise over 80 should not be an issue.

Long ago, I had a Honda Nighthawk 450 and that was plenty of bike for anything other than cross-country touring -- and wouldn't have been horrible even for that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2015, 11:19:47 PM »
Considering that Devonai lives in Connecticut, where the fastest speed limit is 65 and that's only on a few sections of Interstate, not being able to cruise over 80 should not be an issue.

I've only ever approached 80 in clear sections of highway during 'testing'.  Maxed out right around 80 mph, and it was very much the engine, stability was perfectly fine.

Long ago, I had a Honda Nighthawk 450 and that was plenty of bike for anything other than cross-country touring -- and wouldn't have been horrible even for that.

One of the interesting quirks.  I supposedly only get 40 hp from my 650cc engine, but Devonai is getting 66hp from a 600cc one*.  Your 450 is rated for 45 hp, though at 9k RPM, while mine only needs 6.5k RPM, of course.

*Internet says 52@9k

Grebnaws

• friend

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 11:05:10 AM »
Radians are nice bikes. They are a parts-bin creation, using a lot of the parts of the XJ series. Engine is the same as an FJ600.

Most parts you are likely to need are available, either direct from Yamaha, or from a couple of places I know. Give me a holler if and when it comes time to fix it - I got sources and info.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Pb

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 01:51:28 PM »
Fatalities per mile driven on a motorcycle are 26X greater than in a car.

I wouldn't do it.

They are called donorcycles for a reason.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 03:04:51 PM »
And the Wet Blanket award goes to...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 03:19:46 PM »
Devonai, enjoy the read.

Wow, what an epic trip.  Thanks for the link!

BTR, I've grown weary of huddling in my basement with a jumpsuit made of bubble wrap.  It was too difficult to eat applesauce while checking the chamber of my AR every five minutes.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 03:39:04 PM »

I wouldn't do it.

Goody for you.

Why exactly were you compelled to tell us this? Most people in this thread have been riders for years, some for decades. Pretty sure someone here is or was a riding coach. Do you think we do this because we are blissfully unaware of this little tidbit?

I seriously don't get it. It happens all the time. I've had random people IRL walk up to me and tell me they would never get on a bike, upon seeing me dressed in riding gear. What drives this desire to tell a guy with a bike that you are afraid of them and that they are oh so dangerous? What reaction do you expect to receive? "Ohnoes! Thanks for telling me! I'll be selling the demon machine tomorrow! Thanks, bud, you saved my life!" Or what?

By way of a personal anecdote, the worst injury I've had, a leg broken in three places, I got while walking.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2015, 05:33:25 PM »
My girlfriend once broke her ankle in five places when she slipped on some ice right outside of her place of work.  She needed two plates and three screws put in place for five years.  Shtuff happens.  Everywhere.

The chances of me being shot by some doofus in the lane next to me drops to zero if I never visit the range.  The chances of tripping and falling into a campfire are zero if I never build a campfire.  As I alluded to in my last post, we assume a certain amount of risk just by walking out the door each day.  Yes, motorcycles are far more dangerous than cars.  Just practicing in my apartment complex today I almost got creamed by two drivers who apparently thought I wasn't serious about my turn signals.  What would have been a fender-bender in two cars would have been a trip to the hospital for me.  I get it.

The sense of freedom one gets from a motorcycle was something of which I was quite dubious until I took the safety course.  It's fun.  So is kayaking, hiking, martial arts, and a host of other activities that carry some level of inherent risk.  Thankfully we still live in a country where we can make those choices for ourselves.

Foremost on my mind is avoiding the attitude of "it can't happen to me."  As it happens, the Air Force requires me to wear all of my protective gear all the time, even off duty.  Perhaps after several years of riding I might be tempted to omit the jacket, but the choice is not mine.  Still, I'm going to do my darndest to remember that out there, I'm the gnat, and the whole world is a flyswatter.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2015, 06:54:17 PM »

Devonai has taken a great first step in avoiding the biggest motorcycle fatality subgroup:  DoD people back from their deployments buying a 1k cc and larger crotch rocket(sport bike), and putting their helmet-less head into something at around 100mph on their first ride.

First, he took the BRC FIRST.  This instills a good base learning
Second, he's getting a standard motorcycle ~600cc, not a liter bike.
Third, going by his picture he's wearing protective gear.  We see a motorcycle jacket with armor and a full helmet.  I'm not as up on the pants.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2015, 07:32:03 PM »

I wouldn't do it.

Well thank you for that little bit of enlightenment.  ;/

https://rideapart.com/articles/an-open-letter-to-every-person-i-meet-who-finds-out-i-ride-a-motorcycle
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?