Author Topic: Uneasy about Craigslist response  (Read 1415 times)

Triphammer

• friend
Uneasy about Craigslist response
« on: July 07, 2015, 07:23:02 PM »
I've been looking for a compact or subcompact tractor lately. Specifically one with a loader but a backhoe attachment would be great , too. I found one listed locally on craigslist with a loader AND a backhoe for a great price  but the phone was from Atlanta. The text was answered with an e-mail address so I responded to that. This is when it started feeling hinky. The out of area phone didn't bother me much as there's an Army base in town & I see cell numbers from all over the country.. The Email response said the machine in in Oklahoma and the seller "Gave it to E-Bay shipping" another red flag.
 So, does Ebay ship stuff not sold through them? Are people really dumb enough to keep following a purchase like this?  Or should I just send money & hope everything works out? No, not gonna do that, wouldn't be prudent.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Uneasy about Craigslist response
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 07:26:20 PM »
No, "e-bay shipping" is not a thing. Scam. Don't do it
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 07:51:01 PM »
I ran across a similar scam when selling my Harley last year, and had it advertised locally on Craigslist.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 07:56:02 PM »
You could have some fun with them, ala http://www.419eater.com

There's amusement to be had,  if you're up for it.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 08:12:16 PM »
Run away. Looking for a used vehicle last year I came across a similar scam. Called he number on CL, got a text reply request for my email so pictures could be sent. Then a story about military, vechicle not at advertised location but at last duty post but not to worry, eBay woukd handle shipping to my destination.

Run away.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 08:22:47 PM »
Yup. Definitely scammitude.  For some reason, CUTs, especially Kubotas, seem to attract a lot of this action.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 09:35:14 PM »

Eject, eject, eject
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 09:45:07 PM »
Yep. Definitely scam but not liited to CL. SWMBO Goggled Mustang convertible and came up with 3 different ads showing same pic and similar story as OP.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 11:00:32 PM »
Bunch of spoilsports!  I was hoping this could be strung out at least until the "seller" offered to pay the shipping up front and get reimbursed after the sale was finalized.  You know, the check for more than the actual expense so just pay the freight company, cash the check and send the balance back to me via Western Union.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 08:04:51 AM »
Could string the guy along and find out where in Oklahoma this tractor is supposed to be.  RKL and myself live here and I know I would be more than happy to go take a look at it for you.   >:D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:52:10 AM »
I'm in.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 10:04:46 AM »
Nah... sounds good to me!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 10:27:33 AM »
Nah... sounds good to me!

Exactly. Totally legit.

Now, if you'll excuse me, someone is giving out free candy in a van outside.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 07:53:51 PM »
Exactly. Totally legit.

Now, if you'll excuse me, someone is giving out free candy in a van outside.

Hate to break it to you, but you're too old to qualify for the free candy.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 09:52:28 PM »
Hate to break it to you, but you're too old to qualify for the free candy.

Not if HE'S the one giving out the candy... He did say.... someone...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 02:03:46 AM »
You could have some fun with them, ala http://www.419eater.com

There's amusement to be had,  if you're up for it.

I've been tempted to bait them, too, but I'm just not clever enough to really carry it through effectively.

This was interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/419_scams

Nigeria also contains many businesses that provide false documents used in scams; after a scam involving a forged signature of Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo in summer 2005, Nigerian authorities raided a market in the Oluwole section of Lagos. The police seized thousands of Nigerian and non-Nigerian passports, 10,000 blank British Airways boarding passes, 10,000 United States Postal money orders, customs documents, false university certificates, 500 printing plates, and 500 computers.[30]

Yet only 6% of internet scams actually originate from Nigeria:

While Nigeria is most often the nation referred to in these scams, they may originate in other nations as well. For example, in 2006, 61% of Internet criminals were traced to locations in the United States, while 16% were traced to the United Kingdom and 6% to locations in Nigeria.[14] Other nations known to have a high incidence of advance-fee fraud include Ivory Coast,[15] Togo,[16] South Africa,[17] the Netherlands,[18] and Spain.[19]

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 06:40:12 AM »

Yet only 6% of internet scams actually originate from Nigeria:

Terry

But how many of those other places have actual Princes offering you a split if you will just help them move some money?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.