Author Topic: Female Marine CO at Parris Island Gets the Boot  (Read 721 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Female Marine CO at Parris Island Gets the Boot
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »
Maybe there's more to the story, but it sounds like she was exactly what the marines needed, especially given the overall push to put women in combat roles. I don't, from the story, see anything she did wrong except tell it like it is to her female recruits. If they can't handle that, how will they ever handle combat, or say SERE school?

I suppose the only thing I could fault her for was the "hostile work environment" complaint. But then maybe she thought her only recourse was to fight fire with fire.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/13/ouster-marine-officer-overseeing-female-boot-camp-training-sparks-controversy/

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/2015/07/07/kate-germano-fired-marine-corps-female-recruit-unit-commander/29763371/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Female Marine CO at Parris Island Gets the Boot
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:18:32 AM »
Our military leadership is so seriously *expletive deleted*ed.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Female Marine CO at Parris Island Gets the Boot
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:59:32 AM »
She got bounced June 30 after a command investigation accused her of “toxic leadership” by berating and showing contempt for subordinates in public. The 300-page report found her to be “hostile, unprofessional and abusive “ and told recruits that sexual assault was preventable, and that those who drank put themselves in a position to be assaulted.

If correct, this is bad leadership as regards the treatment of subordinates in public.  ("Praise in public. reprimand in private" has been the expectation since shortly after Waterloo.)

As regards the vulnerability of potential victims being higher when under the influence, I see no problem  except that nowadays it seems most folks cannot accept hearing the truth because it hurts their precious little feelings.  (But you want to talk about misogyny and gender bias?  Where's all the concern over young male Marines being plied with liquor by predatory women who then take sexual advantage of them, then assault them?)

But officers who served with her say she was a blunt reformer who spearheaded efforts to improve recruit training regardless of gender, and that a vocal minority in the battalion undercut her achievements. Germano's tactics, for example, dramatically improved range qualification rates for female recruits.

The ensuing controversy, some say, provides a glimpse into an ongoing struggle to establish equal standards for male and female Marines at the Corps' East Coast recruit depot.

Last time I looked, the recruiting posters/TV ads still say "The Marine Corps Builds Men".  As PC as it would be to even recall it, let alone say it today, back in the Old Corps (anybody that graduated from boot camp before you did) we used to look at the WMs on parade and agree wholeheartedly with that claim.  It was possible that someone even suggested that the female soldiers of the Russian Army during The Great Patriotic War were better  looking and not as musclebound.

I was told  that the physical fitness and marksman ship standards were considered the minimum that would allow you to stay on the battlefield - that place where Marines are supposed to be if ever let out of their cages.  I am not sure but my guess is that there are no women's tees or light duty passes for cramps in combat mentioned in either the Hague or Geneva Conventions.

I'm pretty sure my position is not misogyny since it comes from the experience of a stateside butterball who was supposed to be as REMF as one could be and still be in a combat zone who suddenly found himself needing to find big boy pants to wear while taking strolls in the countryside and chatting with strangers well met along the way.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.