Author Topic: Oh, crap: massive earthquake for PNW is coming  (Read 4112 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Oh, crap: massive earthquake for PNW is coming
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
Considering that our family is planning to move to the Kitsap area in a couple years, I wonder whether the bigger risk of harm is staying here on this tiny dot in the middle of the Pacific or over there.

No part of the world is 100% safe from natural disasters, some are just a little less safe.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »
We all die sooner or later.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »
Memphis will, depending on who's research you read will just either disappear or go up in a poof of fire and smoke.

But where will country music be without Memphis to sing about?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 02:25:57 PM »
I reccomend the book I mentioned, "Full Rip 9.0". It chronicles the zone and the fight to actually get people to recognize what will happen. It calls out politicians and corps who know, they freaking know this will happen but do not care at all.

Ultimately it all boils down to the induhviduals who choose to live there, mostly knowing but also denying the inevitable; businesses go where the workers and customers are, and politicians go where the voters are.

Or do you honestly believe anyone who isn't an actual moron doesn't realize that tsunamis are a real danger when living close to a coastline, or earthquakes in a well known fault zone?  (New Madrid has been well known since at least the early 1800s.)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 02:26:10 PM »
No part of the world is 100% safe from natural disasters, some are just a little less safe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_natural_disaster_risk

Quatar is only 99.9% safe.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »
But where will country music be without Memphis to sing about?

Even better: sing about how we all miss Memphis  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 03:02:50 PM »
Even better: sing about how we all miss Memphis

Much rather have a song or fifty about how we don't really miss DC, Chicago and most of California.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 03:05:28 PM »
Considering that our family is planning to move to the Kitsap area in a couple years, I wonder whether the bigger risk of harm is staying here on this tiny dot in the middle of the Pacific or over there.

It depends on which island you're on. I'm going to Kauai in August. The last time I was there, Iniki hit a week after I left. If you're on another island, you should be fine. I've never caused a natural catastrophe on any of the other islands.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 03:09:16 PM »

Or do you honestly believe anyone who isn't an actual moron doesn't realize that tsunamis are a real danger when living close to a coastline, or earthquakes in a well known fault zone?  (New Madrid has been well known since at least the early 1800s.)

Yes I do believe there are actual morons, morons a many, that live there that have no clue. Just look at some of the Tsumami video from Sumatra. Locals, lived there all their lives, when water started to recede, they gladly walked out to collect fish or to see what was a going on. Totally oblivious to what was happening.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
Perfect storm: Pacific Northwest.   Yellowstone Caldera.  New Madrid.  And a chunk of the Canary Islands slides into the sea, taking out everything on our east coast.

Yellowstone is hundreds of miles away with several fault lines in between. No chance of it being triggered by a Cascadia fault.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 03:49:23 PM »
Good article looking at the length of time we can expect services to be disrupted.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/planning-for-the-megaquake-and-after/

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 03:57:07 PM »
The good news is that being about a hundred miles from Jellystone, I don't expect that we will need any services for more than a few minutes.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 04:22:55 PM »
The good news is that being about a hundred miles from Jellystone, I don't expect that we will need any services for more than a few minutes.

Have a friend that lives close to Jellystone. When asked what he would do, he states he will turn the lawn chair towards the fireworks and watch.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

bscl

• friends
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 05:58:11 PM »
It depends on which island you're on. I'm going to Kauai in August. The last time I was there, Iniki hit a week after I left. If you're on another island, you should be fine. I've never caused a natural catastrophe on any of the other islands.

Being born and raised here, I went through Hurricanes Ewa (1982) and Iniki (1992).  You're right, not a whole lot happened in urban Honolulu in either case besides some wind and water damage, certainly minor compared to what parts of Japan went through during the tsunami in 2011.  The last tsunami that most here remember doing significant damage is the one that hit the Big Island during the 60's.  This place certainly has been fortunate to have avoided catastrophe so far. 

But the lure of cheaper (and better) homes, schools (for the most part), food, and just better logistics (threat of a strike at whatever critical port on the west coast or hurricane approaching = everyone here hoards toilet paper, bottled water, and rice) is strong....
Life Member NRA, SAF

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2015, 08:19:19 PM »
You know the county is run by leftist holes, yes? And they just closed our range?

bscl

• friends
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »
You know the county is run by leftist holes, yes? And they just closed our range?

Yes - I check out waguns and seattleguns forums once in a while.  I am looking forward to <sarcasm> being granted the privilege of carrying concealed </sarcasm> and being able to own a suppressor, but will miss having a completely free public range within five minutes of my home.  As far as the leftists - it's obviously no different here with the constant influx of them looking for warm tropical weather.  There is a guy who keeps getting elected to our neighborhood board who quite obviously has a mission to get our range (the only free, open to the public range on the island) closed.  He has showed up at least twice in these board meetings with bullets which supposedly ended up in someone's yard or through their window demanding that more must be done in the name of safety.  Of course the houses and places where these bullets were allegedly found are on the other side of a dormant volcanic crater from the range (which sits right at the foot of said crater), and I heard one of the first bullets didn't even have rifling marks on it...  But despite all that he's still trying (sound familiar?). 
Life Member NRA, SAF

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2015, 11:05:06 AM »
Did anybody else notice that Mother Gia has been warming up?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/indonesia-volcanoes_55af9c08e4b0a9b948530afa?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

"Our evaluation showed there is no extraordinary natural phenomenon that triggered simultaneous eruptions of the five volcanoes," Surono said, adding that all the eruptions are natural and normal occurrences in a nation with about 130 active volcanoes.
  (emphasis added)

Sure.  And there is nothing about all five going at once, is there.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2015, 04:10:56 PM »
Don't have a link, but apparently sales of "earthquake preparedness kits" has skyrocketed around here since that article hit. One can only hope some will follow through and continue to actually prepare and not just buy a kit and think they're good.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 04:44:28 PM »
Best-selling earthquake preparedness kit  http://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/26ft-Moving-Truck-Rental/JH/

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.