Author Topic: Getting a snake out of a workshop?  (Read 14688 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Getting a snake out of a workshop?
« on: July 15, 2015, 11:28:46 PM »
My workshop/storage shed is a 20'x20' corrugated metal building with a few holes in it, holes big enough for the occasional mouse or frog.  I'd posted a while back about keeping snakes out of it, and then pretty much forgot about it since I didn't see anything to worry over-much about.

For the first time in 8 years I have proof there's a snake in it. 

Three walls have 18" deep shelves starting at ~4' off the floor, then at the 6' & 8' marks, the top shelf in the back is ~4' deep.  Of course all of the shelves are full to overflowing. Then there are the open rafters with long stuff stored on them, and "stuff" (workbenches, lumber, welders, radial arm saw, bandsaw, etc) along all four walls.  Yesterday I had to get something stored on one of the top shelves, no problem, got it and got off the step stool.  This morning I went to put it back, as I was reaching to the top shelf I noticed a snake skin going from the top shelf to the next one down (the one at eye level when on the stool).  Needless to say, I didn't put the item back on the shelf.

Using a combo hoe/weed popper I was able to get the snake shed down intact.  It measures 34"-35" long.

I called a local snake removal "expert" (at least according to his online ad), he will come out this far from Dallas.  The drawback is in the charges: $130 to inspect the area and tell me about abatement (as if I couldn't figure that out on my own), or if he sets glue traps and spreads a repellant he'll not charge the inspection fee - just the fees and taxes for the traps and repellant of ~$400.  For the $400 he'll do both the house and shed.  We didn't discuss whether or not I'd get to keep the traps.

I'm not going to pay $400 to have someone remove a snake.  I also don't have the time/resources to remove everything from the shed looking for the damn thing.  So, I have a couple ideas:

1)  Fill a bucket with ammonia.  Toss in a chlorine tablet.  Run for the door & slam it shut.  Leave the door shut for a couple days, then open it for a day and let everything air out.  Questions on this method:  how much of each chemical to use to fill ~5,000 cuft?  How corrosive will the resultant fumes be, ie will the fumes cause problems for any/all the stuff (Xmas decos, power & hand tools, tiller, mower etc)?  This has the possibility of leaving a snake carcass in a hidden spot, in a non-environmentally controlled metal shed during a TX summer.  But I'd be willing to put up with a smell for a while - it'd let me know he's no longer among the living.

2)  I've got a couple small tires headed for the dump.  Instead, I could douse 'em with gas, lay 'em on the floor and throw a lit match at 'em.  That should create enough smoke to fill the shed, hopefully causing said snake to seek fresh air.  No real downside to this one except for the smell of burning rubber, which I've lived through before.  Just not sure it'd work.

For tonight I've left the lights and radio on and threw some mothballs around.  The mothballs most likely won't do anything for making the snake high-tail it outa there, but they may help keep the other critters out.  I also tossed out a couple/four rat traps in possibly likely areas, just in case.  I'm going to pick up a few glue traps tomorrow - which are basically what the "expert" was going to use, minus the chemical attractant.

My biggest concern, besides getting rid of this bastard, is knowing he's gone.

A few ideas considered and rejected for various reasons: 

1)  Detcord - hard to get a hold of
2)  Nuke from orbit - even harder to do than detcord
3)  Burn it to the ground - insurance company might have a problem with this
4)  Build another workshop and let the snake have this one - SWMBO has a problem with this, although she has said we (I) need a larger workshop

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Getting a snake out of a workshop?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 11:41:52 PM »
I'd actually recommend mom's method.  Take an old blanket or towel, toss in the dryer.  Get it nice and warm.  Place warm blanket inside shed, wait about 20 minutes.  Snake will probably be in the blanket.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:45:21 PM »
What kind of snake  ???

If non venomous, you might want to keep him/her around to catch mice  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 12:03:39 AM »
What kind of snake  ???

If non venomous, you might want to keep him/her around to catch mice  =)

And train him to fill out complicated insurance forms.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 12:10:23 AM »
What kind of snake  ???

If non venomous, you might want to keep him/her around to catch mice  =)

Couldn't tell for sure from the shed skin.  If I had to guess I'd say it was probably non-venomous.  The size of the head looks like the same diameter as the body, no obvious bulging, and the markings are (IIRC) like tiny (~1/8" or less) black diamonds in lines running the length with the rest of the skin clear.

My problem is that I'm scared by snakes.  Very scared.  As in "I don't want to go into the shed" scared.  I left the hoe/weed popper outside the access door for the next time I enter.  I can't get any work done with the hoe in hand.  Irrational I know, but that's how it is.

The towel idea has potential.  Question though - the shed's pretty warm already, in the high 90's by the middle of the day.  Is the snake likely to leave his already warm nest for something that's possibly not much warmer?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 12:12:13 AM »
I'm confused,  I thought the OP was a male. ???

=D =D =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 12:16:44 AM »
I'd actually recommend mom's method.  Take an old blanket or towel, toss in the dryer.  Get it nice and warm.  Place warm blanket inside shed, wait about 20 minutes.  Snake will probably be in the blanket.

Oh hell no. Then who grabs the blanket. Does that person get bit in this movie or just lose all fecal matter?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:33:59 AM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 12:27:11 AM »
Geez "guys" it's  a freaking snake. Be nice to it, feed it, train it to harass your neighbors.
Or, just go ahead and hike up your skirts and squeal like a little girl.

Or you could get one of any number of commercial snake repellants.

Another alternative is to get couple of mongoose (mongeese? Mongooses?) And Riki Tiki Tavi their narrow asses.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 12:29:08 AM »
I suppose that spraying # 4 birdshot at all cardinal and ordinal compass points inside the shed would be overkill.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 12:36:15 AM »
Try the blanket idea, at night. Throw blanket in, you wait outside with small tactical nuke, or wrap detcord with the blanket. When snake appears and gets it on with the blanket, detonate.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 12:39:01 AM »
So, we're just done with "detcord", right, that's not a thing anymore? ???
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 09:09:18 AM »
You might try calling some of the more conservative churches in town.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 09:13:14 AM »
More than likely the snake is gone, if the shed is 90 degrees it is too warm for the snake to be comfortable. Probably went in the shed to shed it's skin because its a protected environment, then left to go find cooler areas. Snakes are exothermic so they maintain the temperature of the ambient temperature, if its hot they are hot, if its cold they are cold.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 09:16:09 AM »
That's easy.  Adopt a mongoose.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »
Get a dog that likes to hunt.

Our office in town had some sticky traps (bigger rat traps) and found a copperhead snake stuck on it one morning.  It didn't kill it, but it did hold it.  You might spend $10 and get some of the rat traps and lay them out where you think the snake may travel.  Don't be surprised if you catch other stuff also.  

We have had issues with mice in our office trailer here (can't keep any food around or in drawers).  The sticky traps seem to be the most effective traps.  Put them in cubby holes or against the wall where the mice tend to travel.  I have thrown away a couple traps with two mice stuck side by side.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 09:33:51 AM »

Everyone has their fear, and I respect that. I fear communists and hippies, for example, and have a hard time not dousing them with soap or napalm.

Try the warm blanket approach on a cool night. Put the blanket in a long box. Leave on its side so the snake can get in. Tilt up to check for snake. If it contains a snake, tape the box shut, drive far away, release snake. If you want to kill the snack, run your exhaust into the box. Or set the box on fire.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 09:45:03 AM »
If you want to kill the snack, run your exhaust into the box. Or set the box on fire.

No, no, no. Put air holes in the box and ship COD to LadySmith. I like snakes (of the no-legged variety).  =)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 09:58:49 AM »
You might try calling some of the more conservative churches in town.

I C wut U did there.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
You could try to lure him out with some root beer  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 10:42:16 AM »
Everyone has their fear, and I respect that. I fear communists and hippies, for example, and have a hard time not dousing them with soap or napalm.

Try the warm blanket approach on a cool night. Put the blanket in a long box. Leave on its side so the snake can get in. Tilt up to check for snake. If it contains a snake, tape the box shut, drive far away, release snake. If you want to kill the snack, run your exhaust into the box. Or set the box on fire.

Shovels are probably the best anti-snake weapon (non firearm) commonly available. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 11:25:25 AM »
That's easy.  Adopt a mongoose.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 11:28:42 AM »

And train him to fill out complicated insurance forms.

Wouldn't he have already gotten that training in law school?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »
You people are really slipping, to miss a Monty Python reference like that.  =(

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 12:05:12 PM »
You people are really slipping, to miss a Monty Python reference like that.  =(

Well, it would also need to be trained to mix concrete.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 01:09:52 PM »
If you want to kill the snack, run your exhaust into the box. Or set the box on fire.

Some snakes taste pretty good.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.