Author Topic: Trump and McCain  (Read 2746 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Trump and McCain
« on: July 20, 2015, 01:47:36 PM »
Of all the things for which McCain could be criticized, Trump goes after the POW thing?  :facepalm: And the conservatives that backed him seem to be backing him up on this.  ??? How much is he paying these bozos, and how can I get some?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Trump and McCain
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 01:51:58 PM »
I think Trump has just gotten to the point he wants to see how many people he can piss off.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 01:54:25 PM »
I don't believe Trump ever intended to run a full campaign to the WH.  This may be his bailout plan.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 01:56:22 PM »
I hope Trump doesn't pull a Perot on us to help his friend Hillary into the WH.

I despise McCain, but hate Trump even more.

And yes, McCain is a war hero.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 02:37:27 PM »
I think Trump messed up (faux pas) in the specifics of his counter-attack to McCain's initial attack on him and his supporters.  Trump had the right instinct, but the wrong verbiage.  I doubt this will hurt him too much in the polls, given that McCain has excoriated both Trump's supporters particularly and anti-establishment GOPers generally.  McCain has pissed on GOP grassroots and they have grown thorny towards him.  Same with many veterans who have dug into McCain's record. 

I have little problem with sticking it to McCain.  I think very little of him and do not find him an honorable man.  While I don't think Trump is the right man to be the GOP nominee, I hope he sticks around to stick it to McCain and folk like him.  Good and hard.

FYI:

John McCain: When "Tokyo Rose" Ran for President
http://www.unz.com/runz/american-pravda-when-tokyo-rose-ran-for-president/

McCain and the POW Cover-Up
http://www.unz.com/article/mccain-and-the-pow-cover-up/

American Pravda: Was Rambo Right?
http://www.unz.com/article/was-rambo-right/

I doubt Trump is informed as to most of what is in McCain's very troubled past.  So I can not give Trump the benefit of the knowledge of the documentation pointing to McCain's other than admirable behavior.  And even if Trump was so informed, he would not be likely to use them to whack McCain on the head, given Trump's own history.  I think Trump responded instinctively:
1. In response to an attack by McCain. 
2. Because Trump can smell a rat in McCain.

I see the GOP establishment (and their mouthpieces) going apey over this and the MSM is helping them to stir this up, but I think both will be disappointed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 03:08:49 PM »
Yet Mr. Trump’s comments on Saturday drew condemnation from his rivals and senior officials in the party at a scale far greater than the response to his portrayal of Mexican immigrants as rapists. The response was an indication of the reverence many Republicans have for military service and sacrifice. But it was also something more: their best opening yet to marginalize Mr. Trump. 

After weeks when many of them treaded lightly around Mr. Trump, who once again Saturday refused to rule out a third-party run, Republican leaders seized the opportunity to unambiguously speak out against a candidate they see as effectively hijacking their primaries.

Yet for all the outrage among party elites, some attendees at the Christian conservative conference where Mr. Trump made his comments were not nearly as offended, a reminder of the chasm between the Republican power structure and its grass roots.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »
You should see some of the garbage being trotted out by some folks. The tea party has some folks who should draw a check from the opposition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 04:25:24 PM »
I'm not all that concerned with Mr. McCain himself. I'm just shocked at the level of tolerance among certain people for Mr. Trump's insult to current and former prisoners of war. As wmennor said, it seems as if he's trying to offend the sort of people who've rallied to him over the last couple of weeks.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 04:25:39 PM »
I have little problem with sticking it to McCain.  I think very little of him and do not find him an honorable man.  While I don't think Trump is the right man to be the GOP nominee, I hope he sticks around to stick it to McCain and folk like him.  Good and hard.

+1
McCain has made an entire career of being a war hero/POW, its time someone called him out.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 04:31:33 PM »
+1
McCain has made an entire career of being a war hero/POW, its time someone called him out.

By having some rich guy say that people who get captured are losers? Again, there are any number of substantive things on which to call out McCain, which do not involve dismissing POWs as failures.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 04:49:50 PM »

By having some rich guy say that people who get captured are losers? Again, there are any number of substantive things on which to call out McCain, which do not involve dismissing POWs as failures.

This. Criticism of McCain's political career or his trading on his service/captivity do not alter his service record. I'm certainly no fan of or apologist for his "accomplishments" in the Senate.

He could have turned coat under suffering most of us never have to face, and didn't. Perhaps that experience somehow altered or broke him. Attacking him for it is foolish at best or vile and repugnant at worst.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »
I'm not all that concerned with Mr. McCain himself. I'm just shocked at the level of tolerance among certain people for Mr. Trump's insult to current and former prisoners of war. As wmennor said, it seems as if he's trying to offend the sort of people who've rallied to him over the last couple of weeks.

Did trump actually insult McCain's military service record, or did Trump do a fast rake over the coals of his public service record post military service?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 05:02:37 PM »
Did trump actually insult McCain's military service record, or did Trump do a fast rake over the coals of his public service record post military service?

stay safe.

Close paraphrase: "McCain's a war hero because he got captured. I prefer people who don't get captured."

If all the aviators who were shot down over North Vietnam had just been better pilots, or paid closer attention to their SERE training... ;/
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 05:08:49 PM »
You should see some of the garbage being trotted out by some folks. The tea party has some folks who should draw a check from the opposition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some do seem to have jumped tracks to Crazy Train, but opposition to McCain is in no way indicative of support of the Dems or the left in general.  Same with opposition to establishment GOPers.  GOP is not going to go anywhere with the current GOP leadership, so knocking them down & about is a necessary first step.

And McCain has a lot of garbage in his past to dig up, starting at Annapolis. 

stay safe.

I have read transcripts, not seen the video, but I think Trump trod on his generative bits.  Maybe not with a golf shoe, but enough to smart a bit.

This. Criticism of McCain's political career or his trading on his service/captivity do not alter his service record. I'm certainly no fan of or apologist for his "accomplishments" in the Senate.

He could have turned coat under suffering most of us never have to face, and didn't. Perhaps that experience somehow altered or broke him. Attacking him for it is foolish at best or vile and repugnant at worst.

Do read Schaumberg's POW article and then Unz's Tokyo Rose article.  The POW deal looks pretty tight.  Tokyo Rose less so, but still plausible. 

Maybe the McCain war hero legend is real.  It would not be the first time a feckless screw-up found sterner stuff inside and became hard under hard circumstances.  But there are some veteran POWs who really, really despise him.  Sure, maybe THEY are the ones who broke and McCain is a convenient target/scapegoat.  Or maybe McCain is deserving of their anger. 

Either way, even assuming exemplary conduct on his part in VN, his behavior before and after makes me despise him.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 05:16:31 PM »
Some do seem to have jumped tracks to Crazy Train, but opposition to McCain is in no way indicative of support of the Dems or the left in general.  Same with opposition to establishment GOPers.  GOP is not going to go anywhere with the current GOP leadership, so knocking them down & about is a necessary first step.

And McCain has a lot of garbage in his past to dig up, starting at Annapolis. 

I have read transcripts, not seen the video, but I think Trump trod on his generative bits.  Maybe not with a golf shoe, but enough to smart a bit.

Do read Schaumberg's POW article and then Unz's Tokyo Rose article.  The POW deal looks pretty tight.  Tokyo Rose less so, but still plausible. 

Maybe the McCain war hero legend is real.  It would not be the first time a feckless screw-up found sterner stuff inside and became hard under hard circumstances.  But there are some veteran POWs who really, really despise him.  Sure, maybe THEY are the ones who broke and McCain is a convenient target/scapegoat.  Or maybe McCain is deserving of their anger. 

Either way, even assuming exemplary conduct on his part in VN, his behavior before and after makes me despise him.

I'll look for them, thanks. Meantime, are the nature and scope of his injuries sustained during captivity in dispute?

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 05:21:22 PM »
I'll look for them, thanks. Meantime, are the nature and scope of his injuries sustained during captivity in dispute?

Yes.

Some dispute that his injuries occurred before he was captured while ejecting from his A-4 and not during captivity.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 05:49:10 PM »
Yeah, no, I'm sorry, I don't like McCaine either, but you don't go mouthing off about his time as a POW like that.

Trump seems to be running a shock value campaign. Which would be fine if he was trying to be the next Alice Cooper, but not so much in a political campaign.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 06:33:27 PM »
Someone, I think it was in an email to a local radio station, asked what Trump must think of those who died in battle. They must really be failures, by Trump's reasoning.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 07:18:43 PM »
Yeah, no, I'm sorry, I don't like McCaine either, but you don't go mouthing off about his time as a POW like that.

Trump seems to be running a shock value campaign. Which would be fine if he was trying to be the next Alice Cooper, but not so much in a political campaign.

Alice does seem fond of blond(e)s.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 08:45:02 PM »
Close paraphrase: "McCain's a war hero because he got captured. I prefer people who don't get captured."

Strike the last bit out and it's a statement of fact, not a criticism of POWs.  Without captivity in Nam,  McCain would have nothing to go on.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 09:01:45 PM »
Strike the last bit out and it's a statement of fact, not a criticism of POWs.  Without captivity in Nam,  McCain would have nothing to go on.

Of course, but the implication is that somehow McCain was incompetent, and by extension all POWs or casualties. Whatever the truth about McCain's character, undisputed is that he was flying combat missions over Vietnam while Trump was receiving student and bone spur deferments. Trump's standing on this question isn't exactly impeccable.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 09:28:23 PM »
I'm only talking about the controversial statement in question.  I have no interest in comparing them, they're both turds.

McCain doesn't get a pass on criticism simply because he served.    *  He's played his war record for all it's worth,  which makes it fair game.  Trump stepping on his dick is irrelevant.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 09:36:12 PM »
McCain won't be the first veteran who served honorably in the military, and - in my view - dishonorably in the political arena. There's plenty of McCain to criticize without bringing his service record into it, which IMHO was a Trump mistake.

I've had a low opinion of McCain ever since he was one of the Keating Five, and nothing he's done or said since has done anything to change my mind about him; if anything, I hold him in lower regard just about every time he opens his mouth.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 09:40:34 PM »

So we can just edit out the things politicians say that are wrong and offensive? Good to know. By this logic, I completely and totally agree with every speech Obama has ever given. Some of them are only about half a sentence long but still.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 09:54:25 PM »
So we can just edit out the things politicians say that are wrong and offensive? Good to know. By this logic, I completely and totally agree with every speech Obama has ever given. Some of them are only about half a sentence long but still.

Are you seriously suggesting that the substance of what he said is incorrect?