Author Topic: Another "Paging Gigabuist" thread- Poison Ivy  (Read 2843 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Another "Paging Gigabuist" thread- Poison Ivy
« on: July 30, 2015, 09:15:19 AM »
I've got some nasty poison ivy in my yard.

It is, unfortunately, about 20 yards from my peach trees, though. Any weed killers I should not use to protect the young (two year old) trees?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Another "Paging Gigabuist" thread- Poison Ivy
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:50:39 PM »
Don't use 2,4-d esters, especially on a hot day.  The amine formulation (which is more common anyway) is okay if you are careful and don't use too much, and avoid overspray.  I *think* triclopyr has the same precautions.

How much poison ivy?  Can you use Roundup, or do you need to protect the grass?
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »
Don't use 2,4-d esters, especially on a hot day.  The amine formulation (which is more common anyway) is okay if you are careful and don't use too much, and avoid overspray.  I *think* triclopyr has the same precautions.

How much poison ivy?  Can you use Roundup, or do you need to protect the grass?

No grass to worry about, it's poison ivy mixed with regular ivy and I don't care if that stuff all dies.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:25:18 PM »
Kill it with fire then salt the earth.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 03:31:21 PM »
I'm a Harley Quinn man myself.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 03:31:45 PM »
Get a Glock.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »
Detcord.

Or this simple, selective weed killer: http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

Either way, wear a respirator.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 04:07:17 PM »
Detcord.

Or this simple, selective weed killer: http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

Either way, wear a respirator.

^this, but I'd step up the quality a little for a flammenwerfer, this one has a regulator next to the tank:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-VT-2-23-000-BTU/dp/B00004Z2FP
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 04:23:26 PM »
^this, but I'd step up the quality a little for a flammenwerfer, this one has a regulator next to the tank:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-VT-2-23-000-BTU/dp/B00004Z2FP

Please. This is my weapon of choice: http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a16651/x15-flamethrower-consumer-flame-thrower/

But, unfortunately, I can't use this and some of it is growing on the children's playhouse. (Thankfully on a side where they can't play, but I'd rather not burn it down.)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 04:37:51 PM »
This has the right ingredient:
http://www.ortho.com/smg/gocat/ortho-poison-ivy-killers/cat50072

It will work the best if you can cut the stuff off close to the ground and pull it out of there, then spray or brush the 8% concentrate directly on the little stumps.  (also works for fresh-cut buckthorn and other sapling stumps)
"It's good, though..."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 10:19:30 PM »
I'm a Harley Quinn man myself.

Lol. For some reason for a second when I clicked this I was thinking this was going to be something about batman. :laugh:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 10:36:51 PM »

Poison Ivy + Fire is a really, really bad combination. Like deadly bad.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 11:44:49 PM »

Ummm ... One does NOT burn poison ivy. Trust me on this.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 12:02:14 AM »
I've never tried killing poison ivy and herbicides aren't really a big part of my job because I grow plants, not kill them.

That said I'd try this:  http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/bonide-poison-ivy-brush-killer-bk-32-concentrate

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 12:11:33 AM »
Yeah. While I'm usually in favor of fire, burning poison ivy is bad m'kay?

All the crap that makes you itch and rashy? Have fun with the vapor from it in your lungs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 12:35:50 AM »
Ummm ... One does NOT burn poison ivy. Trust me on this.

Or drag a log to the fire without identifying that stuff that *may* be poison oak on it. You especially do not want to drain the beer you have been drinking into the fire as you turn in for the night...... trust me on this one, you really don't need to try it to determine what it will do.  :O

Poor guy couldn't wear pants for two weeks.  :lol:

bob

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 06:29:01 AM »
Get a horse!

No, I'm not being a crotchety old fart.  Horses, for some reason, are not affected by poison ivy and seem to love the stuff.

Although there are the downsides of having to explain why an 11-year old girl in extremely tight pants is in your yard, and then why said girl has blisters all over her face (from loving on her horse after it has eaten poison ivy).

And yes, itchy-making stuff that does so via contact with sap/resin is about the last thing you want to burn.  It aresolizes the stuff and lets it be carried on the wind.  It is very hard even for doctors who specialize in lung stuff to spread calamine lotion on lungs.  And the neighbors downwind from your little bonfire are going to want several pieces of you and your wallet.  Ask me how the rich (formerly filthy rich) hobby farmer I worked for one summer knows about that after ordering his foreman to burn out a patch of the stuff.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 07:39:41 AM »
I just hit it with glyphosate (generic round up), it dies.  20 yards away from something you don't want hurt is plenty far enough unless you are out spraying in a strong wind and just flinging the stuff into the air.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 09:32:20 AM »
While weed whipping around some trailer in the boneyard, I found myself standing in a patch of ankle high poison ivy.  An immediate rundown with the neutralizer "Technu" and a cold shower helped, but 5 days later, like a clock works, the telltale blisters formed on the side of my face from ear to Adam's Apple.

Chemical treatment is my preferred method. Apply, wait, repeat.  If you know what surgactants, spreader stickers, or crop oils are, this is an appropriate application for such an adjuvant, as the leaves are getting that waxy coating this time of year.  Even a tank mix of broad spectrum and selectives may be warranted.  Use a fine mist, apply to foliage to the point of runoff, that is a drop of the herbicide spray falling off the tip of each leaf.

In all herbicide applications, I recommend heavy watering and fertilization of the target species before application.  Get the growth in High gear and systemic herbicides will be more effectiva.
7-11 was a part time job.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »
All the crap that makes you itch and rashy? Have fun with the vapor from it in your lungs.

Hence my "wear a respirator" advice.

A full chemsuit wouldn't be a bad idea if you have one, but folks around here have been burning the stuff off for a couple centuries now by staying upwind and wearing PPE as primitive as a wet bandana over the mouth and nose.

Wash all your clothes in Sport Wash, Ultra Dawn or real soap as soon as you're done, too. 

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 11:08:53 AM »
While weed whipping around some trailer in the boneyard, I found myself standing in a patch of ankle high poison ivy.  An immediate rundown with the neutralizer "Technu" and a cold shower helped, but 5 days later, like a clock works, the telltale blisters formed on the side of my face from ear to Adam's Apple.

Chemical treatment is my preferred method. Apply, wait, repeat.  If you know what surgactants, spreader stickers, or crop oils are, this is an appropriate application for such an adjuvant, as the leaves are getting that waxy coating this time of year.  Even a tank mix of broad spectrum and selectives may be warranted.  Use a fine mist, apply to foliage to the point of runoff, that is a drop of the herbicide spray falling off the tip of each leaf.

In all herbicide applications, I recommend heavy watering and fertilization of the target species before application.  Get the growth in High gear and systemic herbicides will be more effectiva.

If it has waxy leaves (I haven't messed with poison ivy in years) Crossbow® should be really good because it will penetrate thru the wax (if it doesn't all run off), but use it when there's a breeze blowing away from your fruit trees, or use it in cool weather.

I have a little bottle of surfactant but I never use it; I use a drop of Dawn dish detergent per gallon. 

BTW, I really don't use many pesticides/herbicides  :lol:  I just have a stockpile of them and I'm not bashful about using the strong ones when I need to.
"It's good, though..."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 01:34:21 PM »
brush b gone is my weapon of choice
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 02:44:29 PM »
I've never tried killing poison ivy and herbicides aren't really a big part of my job because I grow plants, not kill them.

That said I'd try this:  http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/bonide-poison-ivy-brush-killer-bk-32-concentrate

Am I correct that this would be death on anything broad-leaf, and be okay with grass like 2-4-D is?

I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 03:04:18 PM »
Am I correct that this would be death on anything broad-leaf, and be okay with grass like 2-4-D is?

That is 2,4-D, spiked with a little Triclopyr and Dicamba.  It should be safe for grass, except St Augustine.
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »
That is 2,4-D, spiked with a little Triclopyr and Dicamba.  It should be safe for grass, except St Augustine.

Ohhh... the MCPA... that IS 2,4-D I'd never heard of it as that before.

I have some persistent clover and other weeds that the 1 gallon hand-sprayer Ortho products never get rid of completely.
I promise not to duck.