Author Topic: Who is the article really written for?  (Read 2083 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Who is the article really written for?
« on: August 04, 2015, 09:15:05 PM »
This briefly showed up in the "Most popular" column of Google News today:
(marginally NSFW) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mason-hsieh/dear-straight-men-come-out-already_b_7899674.html

Who do you think the target audience is?  It pretends to be written for adults, but I think it's intended for teenage boys, to encourage them to experiment with homosexuality.  Recruitment.  It meshes very well with the BSA policy change last week.
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Who is the article really written for?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 09:18:16 PM »
I think your reading way to much into something.

Seriously, human sexuality is a lot more complex than your simplistic paranoia about the gayz taking over the world with Pinky and the Brain style schemes.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:45:21 PM »
1 - Relax.  Nothing nefarious to read there, except that you got fixated on the intro discussion of some kids at some high school on some rowing team (which makes them suspect to begin with).

2 - Why the author is afraid of the term bisexual escapes me.  There can be a component of "establish my masculinity through domination of another male".

3 - See Treva Lindsey, Prof. of Women's Gender and Sexuality @ Ohio State U (about 3:14 in the video here http://www.eurweb.com/2014/08/is-the-twerking-in-taylor-swifts-video-perpetuating-black-stereotypes/ )  She has the whole "fit what I want into whatever" thing down pat.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 10:11:10 PM »
I think your reading way to much into something.

Seriously, human sexuality is a lot more complex than your simplistic paranoia about the gayz taking over the world with Pinky and the Brain style schemes.
[tinfoil]
Laugh if you will but that's exactly how they plan to do it.
Their greatest weapon is that no one believes that they can do  it.
There is,  fortunatly, one amazing force standing  in their way...............

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. !!!!

[tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:52:08 PM »
The author is euther validating his own sexual proclivities or is attention whoring, my bet is on both.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »
Good grief!  Did I just read that  ???   :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »
Good grief!  Did I just read that  ???   :facepalm:

Based on this comment alone, I'm not going to.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
...also, the author wrote it for himself, to show himself how clever he is by using the word 'brojob' in an article.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 02:42:30 PM »
I think you're reading way too much into something.

I rarely weigh in on things like this, but it seems to me that certain philosphies like to crowd gender into two absoluteley separate categories, when there is a considerable overlap.

I was reading up on this a little in response to something else, and from my admittedly limited research, it appears that a certain proportion of newborns have characteristics of both sexes and a decision has to be made for corrective surgery to go one way or the other.

There is also something called Kleinfelter's Klinefelter's Syndrome, I found, wherein a certain proportion of males have an extra female chromosome...

Klinefelter syndrome is a condition related to the X and Y chromosomes (the sex chromosomes). People typically have two sex chromosomes in each cell: females have two X chromosomes (46,XX), and males have one X and one Y chromosome (46,XY). Most often, Klinefelter syndrome results from the presence of one extra copy of the X chromosome in each cell (47,XXY). Extra copies of genes on the X chromosome interfere with male sexual development, often preventing the testes from functioning normally and reducing the levels of testosterone. Most people with an extra X chromosome have the features described above, although some have few or no associated signs and symptoms.
http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/klinefelter-syndrome

From what I can gather, the numbers involved are somewhat sketchy, since corrected "intersexed" babies are not publicised, but are kept hidden as a family secret, so to speak, and Kleinfelter's syndrome is likewise often undiagnosed.

However, it is a safe guess that at least 1 in 500 or so people lie somewhere between the extremes of male versus female sexuality and body types.

As far as I can tell from my research thus far, this ain't a matter of "philosophy," it's a matter of medical fact.

I'm not willing to argue knowledgably about all this, I only recently got curious about it.

But it's in line with bluestarlizzard's second paragraph.

Maybe sometimes "men is men and wimmens is wimmens" is not wholly true.

I guess.

Terry, 230RN

Edited to correct spelling of Klinefelter... which shows you how much I know in the first place.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:05:08 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
But, Terry - when are you going to "come out" and announce your gender identity  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 03:02:35 PM »
My gender identity right now is "olde pharte, father of two, and who cares anyhow at my age?"

The "who cares anyhow" is the relevant part, Tallpine.

And why?

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 03:59:25 PM »
My gender identity right now is "olde pharte, father of two, and who cares anyhow at my age?"

The "who cares anyhow" is the relevant part, Tallpine.

And why?

Terry

So you didn't read the article ?  ;)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 04:27:15 PM »
I rarely weigh in on things like this, but it seems to me that certain philosphies like to crowd gender into two absoluteley separate categories, when there is a considerable overlap.

I was reading up on this a little in response to something else, and from my admittedly limited research, it appears that a certain proportion of newborns have characteristics of both sexes and a decision has to be made for corrective surgery to go one way or the other.

There is also something called Kleinfelter's Klinefelter's Syndrome, I found, wherein a certain proportion of males have an extra female chromosome...

From what I can gather, the numbers involved are somewhat sketchy, since corrected "intersexed" babies are not publicised, but are kept hidden as a family secret, so to speak, and Kleinfelter's syndrome is likewise often undiagnosed.

However, it is a safe guess that at least 1 in 500 or so people lie somewhere between the extremes of male versus female sexuality and body types.

As far as I can tell from my research thus far, this ain't a matter of "philosophy," it's a matter of medical fact.

I'm not willing to argue knowledgably about all this, I only recently got curious about it.

But it's in line with bluestarlizzard's second paragraph.

Maybe sometimes "men is men and wimmens is wimmens" is not wholly true.

I guess.

Terry, 230RN

Edited to correct spelling of Klinefelter... which shows you how much I know in the first place.

To my mind, most of the current controversy and social issues that stem from this crap is the emphasis our culture has placed on defining identity. I really do think that people are more likely to be in some shade of gray in regards to their sexuality rather than exactly defined as gay, straight or bisexual. Furthermore, any attempts at definition is further skewed by the fact that being attracted to someone, being interested in having a sexual interaction with someone and being interested in a romantic relationship with someone are three COMPLETLY different things. Related, yes, but not the same things.
Having some nominal, vague definition is pretty much the best that can be done, because (like marriage) you're just not going to get the same answer from everyone, but the emphasis on needing that labeled and defined identity screws up any attempt to have a discussion about this stuff with someone who is not willing or able to understand that it's just a lot more complicated than some simplistic definitions. And those someone's seem to be the vast majority.

It seems that the article writer is one of those someone's. Maybe the rower's define sexuality by attractiveness, maybe they define it by sexual acts, maybe they define it by romantic relationships, maybe they define it by how much or how little interest they have in which gender/sex, maybe they are in the closet.
So what? It really doesn't matter, because it's not the writer's business (or our business) anyway. It's the business of the guys involved and they can identify however they want because the reality is it's a person's identity belongs to them, not the rest of the world.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 05:08:34 PM »
1 - Relax.  Nothing nefarious to read there, except that you got fixated on the intro discussion of some kids at some high school on some rowing team (which makes them suspect to begin with).

2 - Why the author is afraid of the term bisexual escapes me.  There can be a component of "establish my masculinity through domination of another male".

3 - See Treva Lindsey, Prof. of Women's Gender and Sexuality @ Ohio State U (about 3:14 in the video here http://www.eurweb.com/2014/08/is-the-twerking-in-taylor-swifts-video-perpetuating-black-stereotypes/ )  She has the whole "fit what I want into whatever" thing down pat.

stay safe.

1. Relax
2. Don't do it.
3. When you want to go to it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.