Author Topic: Murder on live TV  (Read 13294 times)

griz

• friend
Re: Murder on live TV
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 02:38:12 PM »
There are numerous places that have the video if you want to see it.  I suspect they will be put up and taken down while people wrap their heads around the idea that a man could walk up to them and they were too focused on the interview to notice him.  Apparently the killer posted his deed on facebook.  Just damn.  Makes me wonder how some people's minds operate.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »
Needs to be used as a training video. Situational awareness. Needs to be played to everyone who carries, everyone you can convince to watch it.

Yup.  Astounding that he could stand there for the better part of a minute, pointing a pistol at them, and nobody notices.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 03:56:55 PM »
Attack may have been racially motivated:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/26/us/virginia-shooting-wdbj/index.html

The network posted a short story reporting some of the manifesto's contents. They show Flanagan alleging that he had been the victim of bullying and discrimination because he is gay and black.

He also said that he was compelled to respond to Dylann Roof's massacre at a Charleston, South Carolina, church in June and he was inspired by Seung Hui Cho, who orchestrated the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007.

"You (deleted)! You want a race war (deleted)? BRING IT THEN YOU WHITE ...(deleted)!!!" ABC quoted from the manifesto.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
Attack may have been racially motivated:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/26/us/virginia-shooting-wdbj/index.html

Sure it was racially motivated. I won't hold my breath that this will be labeled a "hate crime".
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 04:02:50 PM »
Sure it was racially motivated. I won't hold my breath that this will be labeled a "hate crime".

Well, it still fits the narrative for the SJW people.  "The gay black man who was discriminated against was fed up and struck back at his oppressors.  He's a hero."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2015, 04:12:15 PM »
Apparently the White House spokesdonkey wasted no time at all in renewing the call for "common sense solutions to gun violence."

Someone in the comments on a news site was bitching about Second Amendment terrorists. I made the observation that this wouldn't have happened if we would get some common sense and abolish the First Amendment.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »
Apparently the White House spokesdonkey wasted no time at all in renewing the call for "common sense solutions to gun violence."

Someone in the comments on a news site was bitching about Second Amendment terrorists. I made the observation that this wouldn't have happened if we would get some common sense and abolish the First Amendment.

I caught a snippet of it, where he was talking about "armor piercing ammo" which is just as off the wall as what NYPD did.

Or did the find some evil magic ammo on this guy that sets the hoplophobes off?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2015, 04:58:32 PM »
I wonder if the shooter had it in specifically for these two former colleagues, or was looking to attack anyone from the station.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2015, 05:00:02 PM »
This guy stopped with three casualties? Didn't really have the stomach for a race war, I guess.

"This gentleman was disturbed in some way," the sheriff said. "At some point in his life, things spiraled out of control."

You don't say.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2015, 05:20:35 PM »
I caught a snippet of it, where he was talking about "armor piercing ammo" which is just as off the wall as what NYPD did.

Or did the find some evil magic ammo on this guy that sets the hoplophobes off?

http://www.ibtimes.com/bryce-williams-vester-lee-flanagan-shooting-manifesto-23-pages-faxed-abc-news-person-2069911

And my hollow point bullets have the victims’ initials on them."
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 05:35:19 PM »
Since it doesn't fit the narrative, I suspect this will get buried quickly.

*nods*

Don't mention his name ever again. Make him an unperson. Throw him into the memory hole (not literally as in removing all records of him, but I guess you can figure out what I mean). This is the complete opposite of what he wanted. Let's just forget that he ever existed.

Normally I agree, but...

Well, it still fits the narrative for the SJW people.  "The gay black man who was discriminated against was fed up and struck back at his oppressors.  He's a hero."

Well, crap. Can't win for trying. =|

Anyway, my point was that I agree, this will get buried because it doesn't fit the narrative, which, while I hate the mass coverage of these types of murderers, is bad because I'm sick of the "shooter is a angry white man" being pushed by all media outlets.

But then, magsnub has hit the nail on the head. Even if it does get massive coverage, it will get spun as "poor oppressed person is driven to unspeakable acts by angry white men."

I just don't know how to fight a culture war with SJW. =| it's impossible.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 05:37:37 PM »
I wonder if the shooter had it in specifically for these two former colleagues, or was looking to attack anyone from the station.

I believe he said that the female reporter had made racist comments to or about him. Dunno why he had it in for the cameraman.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 05:49:25 PM »
I believe he said that the female reporter had made racist comments to or about him. Dunno why he had it in for the cameraman.

I'm confused ... she was only 24 and somewhere I read that he worked for the station fifteen years ago ...  ;/

Anyway - I guess that it's good that none of the victims were armed and fought back.  Otherwise, we'd have another innocent black man that died  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2015, 06:24:09 PM »
"Stopping Power"... it's a myth.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2015, 06:50:08 PM »
A legit case of "workplace violence"  and this Administration misses it.   :facepalm:
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »
"Stopping Power"... it's a myth.

Yep. Getting shot in real life looks nothing like an episode of TJ Hooker.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »
Just think:  had this been a white guy wanting a race war, we would be in deep kimchi with gun control.

But being Black dude, homosexual, he will be the oppressed hero that finally took a stand.

Abraham Lincoln

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2015, 07:12:29 PM »
Needs to be used as a training video. Situational awareness. Needs to be played to everyone who carries, everyone you can convince to watch it.

I continue to wonder how someone whose job is staring out of a monocular eyepiece trying to keep the interviewer and interviewee both in the frame and in focus would be able to demonstrate situational awareness.  Same for someone whose job is either to keep the attention of someone, help make sure they talk to the camera and not to the person they are talking with/at.

In this case it seems the only way this might have been averted (other than either better mental health services or a Ouija board with a positive track record) would have been by providing some sort of overwatch.  I'm pretty sure unpaid interns might start unflocking to various fields of employment once they understand their primary responsibility will be unarmed/untrained "bodyguard" activities.  (Because I'm also pretty sure news outlets are not going to have the money needed/want to pay for real bodyguards/personal protection agents.)

I'd like to learn how to have situational awareness while I'm hooked up to my CPAP and deep in sleep.

In this case situational awareness should have been being aware of and taking action* about something like 5 years of increasing anger, unsubstantiated complaints of persecution, and physical confrontation.  (A TV reporter now working in Richmond Va after coming from Roanoke was interviewed and discussed several incidents between herself and the killer as well as other incidents between the killer and other staff including on-air personalities, technical staff. HR, and janitorial staff.)

stay safe.

* - "Letting him go" is not good enough.  Documentation of the interactions with staff should have been in his personnel file as well as mandatory referrals to MH/anger control therapy.  (You can only make someone go once for an evaluation of any need tor treatment, or fire them for refusing to go.  But either way it becomes something you can release to potential employers other than "Yes, he was employed here between [date] and [date]."
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2015, 07:19:11 PM »
I'm confused ... she was only 24 and somewhere I read that he worked for the station fifteen years ago ...  ;/

He worked there about 5 years ago.

The cameraman had complained to HR about him after the first (and possibly only) time they worked together.

Supposedly he also had a complaint about her being hired following the cameraman contacting HR - possibly it was that he was let go and she was his "replacement"?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2015, 07:25:51 PM »

The cameraman had complained to HR about him after the first (and possibly only) time they worked together.

Supposedly he also had a complaint about her being hired following the cameraman contacting HR - possibly it was that he was let go and she was his "replacement"?

stay safe.

He must have also worked at a different station previously.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2015, 07:48:36 PM »
*nods*

Normally I agree, but...

Well, crap. Can't win for trying. =|

Anyway, my point was that I agree, this will get buried because it doesn't fit the narrative, which, while I hate the mass coverage of these types of murderers, is bad because I'm sick of the "shooter is a angry white man" being pushed by all media outlets.

But then, magsnub has hit the nail on the head. Even if it does get massive coverage, it will get spun as "poor oppressed person is driven to unspeakable acts by angry white men."

I just don't know how to fight a culture war with SJW. =| it's impossible.

http://twitchy.com/2015/08/26/deray-mckesson/
(autoplay video and audio), but worth it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2015, 08:10:01 PM »

stay safe.

If you watch the shooters video, several seconds of camera man shooting footage of the bay, not at reporter. In that time frame, he could have been spotted. Can't miss him. He has a gun. Known several reporters over the years, and none of them have lost their peripheral vision while on camera. This woman had here head up her ass, both of them. I'll give the cameraman a pass. The women, head up ass.

Abraham Lincoln

griz

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2015, 09:25:43 PM »
Beyond just not blaming the victim for the deed, I can understand how a reporter who's job is to look natural would not want to appear like she was looking behind the camera.  She also knew the guy and may have thought he had become part of the crew again.  Granted she was oblivious to him standing behind the cameraman with a gun for a seeming long time, maybe ten seconds, but like a lot of people she was focused on what she was doing.

It is a good example of the advantages of situational awareness, but it's also an example of how difficult it is to notice everything all the time.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2015, 09:44:19 PM »
I demand that gay pride and Pan African flags be taken down and barred from sale.

I demand that graves of civil rights leaders be dug up and moved.

I am calling for riots peaceful protests because #WhiteLivesMatter so let's burn and loot some mother*expletive deleted*ing cities

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2015, 09:55:47 PM »
I was on the "interview" side of the camera a couple of times at the old job. I know that I was not aware of anything besides the interview and that I had tunnel vision. The situation really narrows your focus to the interviewer and everything else kinds of fades away. If I was doing anything besides concentrating on not looking stupid on camera, it was praying that I didn't say something to get me fired.

I don't know that I've ever seen anyone being interviewed on TV doing the condition yellow head turn thing while they were talking.  I can't help but think it's the same for the interviewer.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."