Author Topic: Terry Nichols Wants FBI To Release Guns  (Read 1481 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Terry Nichols Wants FBI To Release Guns
« on: September 03, 2015, 01:28:02 PM »
http://www.newson6.com/story/29555973/terry-nichols-wants-guns-seized-by-fbi-given-to-ex-wife

FBI admits to having 13 of his guns.  He claims they had nothing to do with the bombing and wants the FBI to release them to his ex-wife since he owes back child support.  I don't see a problem with this if there isn't anything preventing her from owning them.  If there is something then next best thing is that the FBI sells them at auction with the proceeds to the wife to pay the support.  (FAT CHANCE THAT HAPPENS)
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Terry Nichols Wants FBI To Release Guns
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:51:51 PM »
I think the Henderson Supreme Court case back in May already decided this.  He should be able to have the gov't transfer them to a third party so long as the third party is allowed to own them.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 03:31:27 PM »
. . . he owes back child support.

Considering that he was sentenced to life in prison without parole for his part in the murder of 163 people (including a day care center full of little children), I'd say his earning potential - and the likelihood of his ever paying off the back child support - is quite low. (Since the guns are allegedly wanted by him to settle some part of his debt, I wonder if lawyers are actually dunning him for payment?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:13:55 PM »
What are the odds that after all that time in FBI hands they're in any condition to be used or sold for anything other than scrap/interest pieces?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 05:50:06 PM »
Usually, a court will entertain a petition for an order to liquidate assets that could go towards reducing child support arrears.

But I'm wondering what child there is that, 20 years later, is still in need of child support.  Usually the obligation to provide support ends when the child turns 18; continuing support is usually reserved for those with significant handicaps.

Methinks there is something else going on.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »
But I'm wondering what child there is that, 20 years later, is still in need of child support.  Usually the obligation to provide support ends when the child turns 18; continuing support is usually reserved for those with significant handicaps.

Not really.  Note that he says that he owes BACK child support, ie debt accrued from failure to pay as ordered(not that he had the means).  Liability from failure to pay child support extends beyond the child turning 18 - you can't stop paying when the kid's 17 while knowing that suing you for not paying it would extend until the kid's well past 18.

That being said, you can be on the hook today until 22 or so if the offspring goes to college.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 06:20:31 PM »
Agreed, but a) as of 20 years ago his ability to pay arrears was severely limited if not completely terminated and b) it all depends on where the arrearage payments are going to be directed.

If the child in question received welfare assistance the money goes back to the state which has a history of pretty much not caring about recouping payments until the debtor regains the ability to make payments.  In this case it is not the state seeking to liquidate an asset to satisfy an arrearage.

If the state is not seeking to recoup arrearages who is?  The mother of the child would be better served by writing off the arrearage as an noncollectable debt.  But even if she wants to deal with the tax implications of receiving the arrearage now that the child is no longer in need of support why is she not petitioning for liquidation of the assets?

Whether or not the child is eligible for support until age 22, we are talking about arrearages, not current or future payments.

Me still thinks there is something else going on.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 08:13:12 PM »
Me still thinks there is something else going on.
Could be, or it could just be that he (or his ex) just realized this was an option because of the Supreme Court decision a few months ago.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »
My mother is still getting back child support (or at least she was)

I'm 31.

The money is owed to the person raising the child, not the child. If you didn't pay when you were supposed to, it doesn't matter how old the child is, you still owe that money.

I, for one, am all for the judge granting this and I don't appreciate the comments made by the people on the article. He may be an evil bastard, but his ex wife and children are not the criminals here and the guns (or amount the guns are worth) should go to the ex wife.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 11:59:19 PM »
BSL -

I agree with you, but ....

As previously asked above.

Even if things had to wait for the recent SCOTUS ruling, why is Mrs. Nichols not at the least joining in the motion?

I'll let the more savvy tax folks weigh in on the consequences of taking the cash as opposed to writing off the debt.

stay safe.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 12:11:49 AM »
What are the odds that after all that time in FBI hands they're in any condition to be used or sold for anything other than scrap/interest pieces?

. . . assuming that the Feds can even find them.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 02:07:28 AM »
At the federal level Child support is not subject to income tax.   Nor is it deductible.   Maintenance/Alimony is subject to income tax and is deductible.

States vary on their treatments of the latter, but I don't know of any state that taxes the former, YMMV.

Again their may be interest in the guns as collectors items (yes, there are macabre  folks out there with lots of money.)
But again, it depends on condition and what they are.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.