Author Topic: The denizens of APS should score well on the Pew Research test of basic science  (Read 9583 times)

zahc

• friend
100%, even though some questions were slightly bogus.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Saw that test a few days ago.  Considered posting about it, but didn't want to add to the general disappointment most of us have in our current society of the walking brain dead.
It was an easy 100%, BTW.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
Saw that test a few days ago.  Considered posting about it, but didn't want to add to the general disappointment most of us have in our current society of the walking brain dead.
It was an easy 100%, BTW.

This.

It popped up on my Facebook feed from a mouth breather I know. Then they wanted to know how I got 100% on it.

brimic

• friends
This.

It popped up on my Facebook feed from a mouth breather I know. Then they wanted to know how I got 100% on it.

:rofl:

Everything on it is well below what my 7th grader is studying...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

Doh. I was flying through the test and clinked Astronomy rather than Astrology because I didn't correctly read the question. Study of stars? Astronomy. It should have been labeled more correctly as pseudoscience or demonstratively false belief rather than "study of".

Regardless, astronomy still fits the question. "Which of these terms is defined as the study of how the positions of stars and planets can influence human behavior?"

Don't believe me, ask knowledgeable folks if Pluto a planet or not.    =D

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cambeul41

• friend
I don't recall being asked my race at the end, just gender and age. Yet the distributions had three (why only three?) races listed.

We all know perfectly well the reason for that omission. It comes under the heading of, not asking questions to which you don't want the answer.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Ned Hamford

• friend
I honestly got the magnifying glass question wrong. *shrug*

Well just depends which way the light is shining into the glass right? Or if you went with another of the pictures; how crappy the lens is...

Rather than go squinty I just went with the default 'object purpose' view, using light to lite a fire (or torment ants). 

12/12

Hurrah, another of the 6%
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I got the sound question wrong and some other question, but I got my GED in the army and was busy adjusting headphones because I was listening to Bad Brains whilst testing .... so ... like .... I have a good excuse.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Well just depends which way the light is shining into the glass right? Or if you went with another of the pictures; how crappy the lens is...

Rather than go squinty I just went with the default 'object purpose' view, using light to lite a fire (or torment ants). 

12/12

Hurrah, another of the 6%

It depends on the shape of the lens.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I also found the magnifying glass question to be poorly executed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
I just figured since they said "magnifying glass", they were probably talking about using sunlight to burn ants so I went with the answer that best fit that.   =D  What else would you use a magnifying glass for?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Oh, 100pct.

Why is astrology considered science?

Trivia for the day: The science known today as astronomy is derived from the ancient study of astrology. In ancient times, man had no reason to study the motion and relative positions of heavenly bodies except for astrological purposes.

:facepalm: That didn't take long.

Are you saying that having a calendar was an astrological purpose? Or that navigation was an astrological purpose? Or probably a number of other things I'm leaving out?
Answers to all of those questions are both YES and NO.

Depends on when you are asking.  Many contemporary more or less rigorous undisputed "sciences" started off their existence under slightly sketchy, less than rigorous circumstances. 

Astrology being a fine example.  There was plenty of empirical content that the old astrologers sussed out.  Even some Big Name historical astronomers/scientists still thought the stars could influence human events.

It's on a par with modern psychiatry?

Why do you hate astrology?

Psychiatry is still in the "astrology/sketchy" phase as a science and deserves scare quotes.

Well, the answer to the Denver thing is on the back of every box of mac and cheese!

Yep, learned that one as a kiddo before being introduced to it in science class.  It is pretty incredible what you can learn just by looking around.  Or reading mac & cheese boxes.

We all know perfectly well the reason for that omission. It comes under the heading of, not asking questions to which you don't want the answer.

Ayup.  Also, folks whose livelihood depends on not understanding particular empirical data will find a way to remain ignorant of that data, even if it ends up tattooed to their foreheads.

I'm not sure how so many got the sound thing wrong, since the correct answer has the answer built in (amplified... Louder)

Indeed.

Thank you for supporting my son's and daughter's continued study of Latin.

am·pli·fy  (ăm′plə-fī′)
v. am·pli·fied, am·pli·fy·ing, am·pli·fies
v.tr.
1. To make larger or more powerful; increase.
2. To add to, as by illustrations; make complete.
3. To exaggerate.
4. To produce amplification of: amplify an electrical signal.
v.intr.
To write or discourse at length; expatiate: Let me amplify so that you will understand the overall problem.
[Middle English amplifien, from Old French amplifier, from Latin amplificāre : amplus, large + -ficāre, -fy.]
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
"Many contemporary more or less rigorous undisputed "sciences" started off their existence under slightly sketchy, less than rigorous circumstances. "

Such as alchemy morphing into chemistry.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
I also found the magnifying glass question to be poorly executed.
I found that one to be trivially simple - in fact, I actually chuckled out loud when I saw it.

Of course, working in optical design & engineering for over three decades may have influenced my viewpoint . . .  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
I found that one to be trivially simple - in fact, I actually chuckled out loud when I saw it.

Of course, working in optical design & engineering for over three decades may have influenced my viewpoint . . .  ;)

Depends. Is your viewpoint concave, or convex?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
"Many contemporary more or less rigorous undisputed "sciences" started off their existence under slightly sketchy, less than rigorous circumstances. "

Such as alchemy morphing into chemistry.
To me, alchemy was chemistry, just without knowledge of elements and the microchemistry we know now.  It was hard for people to distinguish it from magic due to what they didn't know.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
Yep, learned that one as a kiddo before being introduced to it in science class.  It is pretty incredible what you can learn just by looking around.  Or reading mac & cheese boxes.

Which is pretty much where astronomy and astrology started.  The only TV show on was the night sky and everyone watched a little.  The practical side of it eventually became astronomy.  I imagine it was difficult to separate the two depending on who had the knowledge. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The practical side of it? So ancient man had other reasons to observe the night sky than astrology?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Depends. Is your viewpoint concave, or convex?

Brad

convoluted
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
100% here also.

Actually I can see how some folks might miss one or two but I'm really surprised only 6% got 100% correct.

The polio question is more history of science than science IMHO. I have a cousin who had polio so I knew that answer from a very early age.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
Doh. I was flying through the test and clinked Astronomy rather than Astrology because I didn't correctly read the question. Study of stars? Astronomy. It should have been labeled more correctly as pseudoscience or demonstratively false belief rather than "study of".

Regardless, astronomy still fits the question. "Which of these terms is defined as the study of how the positions of stars and planets can influence human behavior?"

Don't believe me, ask knowledgeable folks if Pluto a planet or not.    =D

I believe that's why they included that one.  They didn't say astrology was a science, they just gave a simple definition of astrology.  It said something about stars, you knew the test was about science, so you picked astronomy without really reading the question. :D

I kinda wondered how many people got tripped up by that when I took it.
"It's good, though..."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
12 for 12 without any real difficulty, only real thinking involved was taking a second to reread some of the questions/answers to make sure I was reading them right.

Wife got 5 our of 12. She is by no means an idiot, she just wasn't taught such things.

I blame it firmly on equal parts public schooling and moronic parents. Both of which she (and most of America) had in overabundance.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cordex

• Administrator
It occurred to me - didn't we do this quiz a couple of years ago?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
It occurred to me - didn't we do this quiz a couple of years ago?

I don't think it was exactly this one, but it seems we do one like this annually.

We also generally do a history one and a government one as well.

I don't think we ever do math or literature...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Where's the physics quiz?

https://youtu.be/AEIn3T6nDAo?t=174
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."