Author Topic: Texas 14-year-old arrested for homemade clock that looked like a bomb  (Read 42380 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Texas 14-year-old arrested for homemade clock that looked like a bomb
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 06:03:31 PM »
It doesn't?  I see a huge(unpowered) LCD/LED number screen of the traditional 88:88 sort, a control board for it, a 9V plug for power, a buzzer(for the alarm), and a board that probably has the chips for the timing and deciding which LCD spots to activate.

What I don't see:  Any blocks that could be explosives.

No, it doesn't. There's no need to be silly about this. About .0001 percent of humans are going to look at that and think, "Oh, that's a clock." Just like .0001 percent of humans had ever seen a Moonite, in the aforementioned incident.

But no, we must judge everything according to our hindsight, and history of Radio Shack projects, viewing habits, etc. That only makes sense, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 06:07:14 PM »
I'm kinda surprised by the reactions of some in this thread.

If this was a white kid getting suspended for making gun-shaped legos, would the reaction be the same?

I guess if the guy was making bomb-shaped Legos, you might have a point.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 06:12:35 PM »
I'm kinda surprised by the reactions of some in this thread.

If this was a white kid getting suspended for making gun-shaped legos, would the reaction be the same?

Part of the problem of the "zero tolerance" and no discretion policies.  Back when my father was a school principal, he had a drawer where he kept contraband like pocket knives that were confiscated.  No cops, punishment based on what the kid actually did, not the possession, and he would giventhe knives to any parents willing to come pick the item/knife up.  Always surprised me how many knives he would have in the drawer at the end of the school year because of parents who would refuse to claim the knife because the kid was too dumb to take/misuse the knife at school and part of the parental punishment was loss of the knife.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 06:12:55 PM »

No, it doesn't. There's no need to be silly about this. About .0001 percent of humans are going to look at that and think, "Oh, that's a clock." Just like .0001 percent of humans had ever seen a Moonite, in the aforementioned incident.

But no, we must judge everything according to our hindsight, and history of Radio Shack projects, viewing habits, etc. That only makes sense, right?

They'll look at it and think, "What is that?"  
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 06:18:52 PM »
Part of the problem of the "zero tolerance" and no discretion policies.  Back when my father was a school principal, he had a drawer where he kept contraband like pocket knives that were confiscated.  No cops, punishment based on what the kid actually did, not the possession, and he would giventhe knives to any parents willing to come pick the item/knife up.  Always surprised me how many knives he would have in the drawer at the end of the school year because of parents who would refuse to claim the knife because the kid was too dumb to take/misuse the knife at school and part of the parental punishment was loss of the knife.

Bingo.  Just ranted on facebook about it.

Kid's can't point their fingers and say "bang" anymore.  They can't bring toy guns that are obviously not real.  They can't play cowboys and indians anymore. 
School administrators don't think.  Every kid with a little home made clock is a *expletive deleted*ing school shooter.  That's how they think.
Get in line, eat your soylent green free school lunch, pass the yearly testing, go to college, get 50,000$ in student loans, become a Women's Transgendered Otherkin Studies major.  That's all they ask.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2015, 06:29:06 PM »
Official channels like, for example, a two-rank meritorious promotion

He has that power.  But I think that's a bit much.  Something around a Bronze or Silver Star, for example, though it might take some creative reading of the rules to award them that, due to 'in connection with military operations'.  Thus it might need to be the Airman's medal, or equivalent.  While I certainly applaud them, I think the Medal of Honor is a bit much in this case.

Add one rank, maybe.  Worst case, the medals I'm listing are a huge promotion factor, giving the individual the equivalent of around a year up on everybody else for promotions.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2015, 06:30:45 PM »
Bingo.  Just ranted on facebook about it.

Kid's can't point their fingers and say "bang" anymore.  They can't bring toy guns that are obviously not real.  They can't play cowboys and indians anymore. 
School administrators don't think.  Every kid with a little home made clock is a *expletive deleted*ing school shooter.  That's how they think.
Get in line, eat your soylent green free school lunch, pass the yearly testing, go to college, get 50,000$ in student loans, become a Women's Transgendered Otherkin Studies major.  That's all they ask.

The alternative is that the "adults" have to think, and exercise judgment and discretion. With more adults acting like, or wanting to act, like children, the zero tolerance rules seem to exist as much for them as the biological juveniles. Another consequence of the "nerf-from-birth" nanny state.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2015, 06:32:18 PM »
Salient point for me is the father, and how quickly CAIR jumped in. 

Otherwise I'd agree with you.

Not really relevant. They had control over their trolling. School system, etc had control over their reaction. No stupid reaction = trolling failed.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2015, 06:33:33 PM »
He has that power.  But I think that's a bit much.  Something around a Bronze or Silver Star, for example, though it might take some creative reading of the rules to award them that, due to 'in connection with military operations'.  Thus it might need to be the Airman's medal, or equivalent.  While I certainly applaud them, I think the Medal of Honor is a bit much in this case.

Add one rank, maybe.  Worst case, the medals I'm listing are a huge promotion factor, giving the individual the equivalent of around a year up on everybody else for promotions.

Sorry, you misunderstand me.

Dude is being promoted from his current rank of E-3, to E-5. I read it this morning. I posted that example, because it's happening. Those dudes ARE being rewarded, through official channels.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2015, 06:43:02 PM »
I'm rather irked that most of the pictures have the LED display flipped down to make it that much more confusing.  And if there was any actual confusion, you'd think they would just give a ring to the engineering teacher.

If the teacher who reported it truly thought it was a bomb, I'd think she wouldn't have left it in her desk till the end of the period.

It is punishment for 'well, it could look like a bomb,' rather like treating clothes or necklaces that have the imagery of a weapon as a weapon. 

I think it is the regular old idiocy, not any special racist bent.  Still to be railed against.  American culture has thrived with the attitude that what is not forbidden is acceptable and schools in the last 15 years have switched to the opposite; all not dictated is forbidden.  Better not to take action that is not explicitly instructed, better not to think and problem solve independently, ect ect, rant rant. 

Kudos to the kid for getting to the White House.  It reminds me of a friend of mine, engaged to a Sandyhook shooting victim.  He was flown around on Airforce One ect, and good for him getting the opportunity, but those doing the invite and arranging are just doing it for publicity and points, not any real sympathy or mutual goals.  Never let a tragedy go to waste.   :mad:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2015, 07:14:19 PM »
If the teacher who reported it truly thought it was a bomb, I'd think she wouldn't have left it in her desk till the end of the period.

It is punishment for 'well, it could look like a bomb,' rather like treating clothes or necklaces that have the imagery of a weapon as a weapon. 

I think it is the regular old idiocy, not any special racist bent.

Probably true. Also, Islam is not a race. It's fascinating how the Left gets away with portraying Muslims as if they were all one race of people, apparently genetically condemned to follow a particular religion.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2015, 08:04:36 PM »
If it looked that much like a bomb they would not have waited till end of day to jack him up. And his father is not your typical muslim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2015, 09:51:55 PM »
If it looked that much like a bomb they would not have waited till end of day to jack him up. And his father is not your typical muslim

I'm sure you're aware that your constant hint-dropping annoys folks. Is that intentional?

About papa Mohammed, are you talking about the Koran-burning thing, or what?

• friends
Re:
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2015, 10:39:56 PM »
No more about his definition of islam. I read part of one of his books. Interesting read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

SADShooter

• friend
Re:
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2015, 11:05:24 PM »
No more about his definition of islam. I read part of one of his books. Interesting read.

Interesting how, please? Bomb-thrower? Moderate? fistful had his moment of correctness today. You followed a cryptic statement with...a cryptic statement. Please be more generous with the context and detail when you post. You often have interesting things to say, but drawing it out of you can be like getting the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

• friends
Re:
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2015, 11:12:37 PM »
He's more moderate. I guess I like him cause his view of islam aligns withine. That we are all "people of the book" and should respect  one another

• friends
Re:
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2015, 11:19:52 PM »
Apologies for the source but it was first one I will see if I can dig up book
http://www.vox.com/2015/9/16/9339063/ahmed-mohamed-elhassan

• friends
Texas 14-year-old arrested for homemade clock that looked like a bomb
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2015, 11:24:06 PM »
Here's a quote from dad that is probably mellower than I would be

Ahmed’s father, Mohamed El Hassan, 54, was at turns humble, emotional, grateful and patriotic, making it a point to mention they lived in their house for more than 30 years and that his son had fixed his car, his phone, his electricity and his computer and had built, in true all-American fashion, a go-kart. “That is not America,” he said of Ahmed’s detainment. “That is not us. That is not like us.”

Link to longer article
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/father-muslim-kid-arrested-clock-standout-citizen-article-1.2363466

SADShooter

• friend
Re:
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2015, 01:08:48 AM »
He's more moderate. I guess I like him cause his view of islam aligns withine. That we are all "people of the book" and should respect  one another

Thank you, very much. (The comma is included deliberately for sincere emphasis.)  =)

griz

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2015, 08:25:55 AM »
Apparently our fearless leader tweeted this:
"Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It's what makes America great."

I wonder if that was before or after they locked down the white house because of an unattended package?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2015, 10:27:05 AM »
More context:

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/dallas-county/2015/09/15/irving-isd-student-detained-for-device-resembling-bomb/72339246/

According to Irving police, Ahmed's case contained a digital clock that the student had taken apart and rearranged. Police said the student had the briefcase in his English class, where he plugged it into an electrical outlet and it started to make noise.

Ahmed told WFAA that his English teacher confiscated his case. A few hours later, the student said the principal and school resource officer pulled him out of class and questioned the high school freshman.

Officers said Ahmed was being "passive aggressive" in his answers to their questions, and didn't have a "reasonable answer" as to what he was doing with the case. Investigators said the student told them that it was just a clock that he was messing around with.

"We attempted to question the juvenile about what it was and he would simply only say it was a clock. He didn't offer any explanation as to what it was for, why he created this device, why he brought it to school," said James McLellan, Irving Police.

Emphasis mine.

He wanted the clock found. He was calling attention to it. It was perfectly right to arrest him for a hoax bomb, because that's exactly what he was doing with it: trying to create a story about "(white!) Teachers think the Muslim kid is a bomber."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »
Where's the fake explosives?  Or anything that looks anything like a detonator, whatever a detonator looks like?

Kid takes apart a cheap digital clock and says he "invented" it.  That sounds to me like something stupid that a smart 9th grader would do.  (I've been there)  It may or may not be more sinister than that.

The teacher says she thinks it's a bomb, but confiscates it and keeps it in or on her desk.  The principal says he thinks it's a bomb, but doesn't evacuate the school.  The police think it's a bomb, but they don't call the bomb squad.  They are all lying.  I don't know what the motive was.  If they were just playing along with the fake bomb to teach the kid a lesson, they took it way too far.
"It's good, though..."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2015, 11:10:43 AM »
"Passive aggressive"?

Why'd ya make the clock, kid?

Because I could

What were you planning to do with the clock, kid?

Tell what time it was

Are you trying to get cute with me, kid?

Nah, I'm pretty ordinary looking.  I think I'll stay that way.

At least he did not go tell the principal and the cop(s) what they could do in fine Anglo-Saxon terms.

And I'm still waiting for someone to bring up the violation of the kid's right to have his parent(s) immediately notified and to have them present before any questioning takes place.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2015, 11:11:47 AM »
. . . What I don't see:  Any blocks that could be explosives . . .

My thoughts exactly.

By the standard applied here, anyone with a cell phone should be disciplined, because terrorists have used cell phones to remotely trigger IED . . .

:facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »
I am not exactly sympathetic to school administrators, but in this case the totality of the circumstances lead me to give them the benefit of the doubt and the gimlet eye to JihadiBombHoaxer.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton