Author Topic: Texas 14-year-old arrested for homemade clock that looked like a bomb  (Read 42420 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Texas 14-year-old arrested for homemade clock that looked like a bomb
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2015, 01:47:33 PM »
Why did his "clock" beep and get the other teacher's attention? Look at the picture- it has no internal power supply.

The blue bit is a 9v battery connector.  I've had a few plug-in clocks with 9V backup that would beep from time to time when the AC went out.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2015, 01:48:50 PM »
This is a good example of selective outrage. APS is all about decrying stupid zero tolerance school anti weapon policies unless they don't like the victim of them.

There is so much out there that is outrageous (even in this one story), you have to be selective.  One way I manage it is asking "who is the actual adult in this story?"  I cut little Mohammed here a lot of slack (although his usage of "invention" and "homemade" really grate on me) because he's a stupid kid.  He's SUPPOSED to be immature.
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2015, 01:51:31 PM »
Oh ffs, we don't have our panties in a twist Nd we're aiding and abetting terrorists now? That's beyond ridiculous.

The thing looked nothing like a bomb, no one thought it was a bomb, and he told everyone it was not a bomb. In what world is that a "bomb hoax?"

This is a good example of selective outrage. APS is all about decrying stupid zero tolerance school anti weapon policies unless they don't like the victim of them.

I didn't say it that way, but, yes you are. Just like the "Hands up, Don't Shoot" people pushed a false narrative that encourages cops to hesitate before shooting an actual threat.

If it makes you feel better, I don't think you're willingly doing so, just that you are useful to the terrorists.

Incidentally, if Alistair Dewayne Ivanovich Sitting Bull Abramson-O'Neill had the same device and story as little Ahmed, I'd be saying the same thing on the response of the people involved. (I'd guess he had different motives than Ahmed, but the same immediate goal: wanting to garner attention with his hoax).

If a kid shows up at school with this: http://www.replicagunsdirect.com/catalog/resin-replica-guns/resin-replica-1911-pistol-1659.html, you'd find that I'm perfectly fine with the kid getting the same treatment, too.

If the above kid told everyone he saw that it's not a real gun, is that going to matter to his punishment?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2015, 01:52:37 PM »
The blue bit is a 9v battery connector.  I've had a few plug-in clocks with 9V backup that would beep from time to time when the AC went out.

It has the connector, but no battery. Perhaps he had it when it was in school (I read he plugged it in, though), but if that is the case, then he changed its appearance before it was photographed.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2015, 02:18:56 PM »

It may encourage you to know:

Out of about 22 participants in this thread, we have about ten that agree with you (including you), and about ten that have been waiting to see what else comes out (including me). Out of 22, and out of the larger pool of active members, we have a grand total of two; that's 2, members condemning the alleged hoaxer.

So I wouldn't exactly say that APS is all about one thing or the other. And I would also ask why you address APS as "they," as if you were an outside observer, rather than one of the more active members.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2015, 02:28:42 PM »

It may encourage you to know:

Out of about 22 participants in this thread, we have about ten that agree with you (including you), and about ten that have been waiting to see what else comes out (including me). Out of 22, and out of the larger pool of active members, we have a grand total of two; that's 2, members condemning the alleged hoaxer.

So I wouldn't exactly say that APS is all about one thing or the other. And I would also ask why you address APS as "they," as if you were an outside observer, rather than one of the more active members.

Additionally, it's particularly amusing to me that I've taken on CS&D's role here in believing the authorities over the miscreant while he's defending the miscreant.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »
The blue bit is a 9v battery connector.  I've had a few plug-in clocks with 9V backup that would beep from time to time when the AC went out.
Indeed, and I figure that the battery might of been removed to shut it up, and not replaced.

Because when you make a working clock out of spare parts, and someone asks you what it is, apparently you're supposed to tell them something else.  :facepalm:

Paraphrasing what I said elsewhere, because we KNOW cops do this:
"Hey kid, you were intending to make a bomb with this, weren't you?"
"Tell us how you were planning on showing off this fake bomb to your friends"
"You wanted to scare the faculty with this, didn't you?"
"Common, you can tell us, you admit that you made this to be a fake bomb and you can go home"

etc...

Also - Ron, condemning the kid because his father's supposedly liberal because he's Muslim?  Not really good.  You have a point how this could be classical school administration over-reaction, independent of any anti-muslim feelings.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2015, 02:35:37 PM »
Also - Ron, condemning the kid because his father's supposedly liberal because he's Muslim?  Not really good.  You have a point how this could be classical school administration over-reaction, independent of any anti-muslim feelings.

No, he did no such thing. He's pointing out the irony of the outraged left-wingers when one of their pet darling constituencies is ensnared by one of their pet policy prescriptions.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2015, 02:35:59 PM »
I didn't say it that way, but, yes you are. Just like the "Hands up, Don't Shoot" people pushed a false narrative that encourages cops to hesitate before shooting an actual threat.

If it makes you feel better, I don't think you're willingly doing so, just that you are useful to the terrorists.

Incidentally, if Alistair Dewayne Ivanovich Sitting Bull Abramson-O'Neill had the same device and story as little Ahmed, I'd be saying the same thing on the response of the people involved. (I'd guess he had different motives than Ahmed, but the same immediate goal: wanting to garner attention with his hoax).

If a kid shows up at school with this: http://www.replicagunsdirect.com/catalog/resin-replica-guns/resin-replica-1911-pistol-1659.html, you'd find that I'm perfectly fine with the kid getting the same treatment, too.

If the above kid told everyone he saw that it's not a real gun, is that going to matter to his punishment?

No reasonable person would think that was a bomb, as evidenced by the fact that no one involved in this story thought it was a bomb. If you're arguing that it looked like a bomb then all you're doing is showcasing your ignorance.

As for your assertion that I'm helping terrorists because I recognize that your argument is bullshit, kindly go *expletive deleted*ck yourself.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2015, 02:44:46 PM »
To me it looks like attention/ethnic/lawsuit trolling meets zero tolerance, the fact that obama invited them to the white house only confirms the former.
They can all go to hell.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

griz

• friend
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2015, 03:05:28 PM »

I think I will call my next pet Alistair Dewayne Ivanovich Sitting Bull Abramson-O'Neill.  Best name ever.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2015, 03:06:12 PM »
To me it looks like attention/ethnic/lawsuit trolling meets zero tolerance, the fact that obama invited them to the white house only confirms the former.
They can all go to hell.

:laugh:

Everyone involved has an agenda I oppose.

One of those cases where the left eats the left.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2015, 04:12:11 PM »
He made something that looks like a bomb and obviously everyone thought it looked like a bomb, while not actually being a bomb, including the young Mr. Mohamed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mW4w0Y1OXE&t=1m28s

"I closed it with a cable so it wouldn't look suspicious."

Really? There was something about your clock that made you think it might raise suspicions?

And the school was not evacuated and the bomb squad called? :facepalm:

Even if the "everyone" was folks that arrived after he was hauled down to the principal's office? :facepalm: :facepalm:

They locked down the White House over someone's bag lunch!  (OK, not sure what it was but from the lack of follow-up headlines I'm pretty sure it was not a bomb.) [tinfoil]Tell me the one about Goldilocks next.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2015, 04:27:02 PM »
And the school was not evacuated and the bomb squad called? :facepalm:

Even if the "everyone" was folks that arrived after he was hauled down to the principal's office? :facepalm: :facepalm:

They locked down the White House over someone's bag lunch!  (OK, not sure what it was but from the lack of follow-up headlines I'm pretty sure it was not a bomb.) [tinfoil]Tell me the one about Goldilocks next.

stay safe.

If I show you this: http://www.replicagunsdirect.com/catalog/resin-replica-guns/resin-replica-1911-pistol-1659.html and, upon inspection, you know it's not a gun, might I still be in trouble for having a "hoax gun"?

As I said, from the actions, everyone knew, upon inspection that the "clock" that he "made" was not a bomb, just as they would know the above is not a gun.

Can you tell me what his intention was in bringing into the school and plugging it in in front of his teacher after being warned by a previous teacher? (Who clearly ALSO thought it looked like a bomb or he wouldn't have warned the student.)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2015, 05:08:41 PM »
Can you tell me what his intention was in bringing into the school and plugging it in in front of his teacher after being warned by a previous teacher? (Who clearly ALSO thought it looked like a bomb or he wouldn't have warned the student.)

Do you have a citation on him plugging it in in front of the second teacher?  Before the teacher started asking questions about it?  Because clearly we're operating on two very different versions of events.

The story I heard is that it started beeping while in his backpack, and it's when he removed it from his pack to shut it up that the fun started.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2015, 05:54:19 PM »
If I show you this: http://www.replicagunsdirect.com/catalog/resin-replica-guns/resin-replica-1911-pistol-1659.html and, upon inspection, you know it's not a gun, might I still be in trouble for having a "hoax gun"?

As I said, from the actions, everyone knew, upon inspection that the "clock" that he "made" was not a bomb, just as they would know the above is not a gun.

If everyone knew it wasn't a bomb, what's the freaking problem?

I also think it's worth mentioning at this juncture that had this kid been suspended from school for "disrupting class with an electronic device" or whatever rule the school uses if a kid's cell phone rings (you know they have one) we would not be discussing this.  But he was suspended, and arrested for having a "hoax bomb" that, it seems, "everyone" knew wasn't a bomb.

He may have been trolling.  I don't know the kid.  But if the school and cops had used even a little *expletive deleted*ing sense it wouldn't have mattered.  I'm not outraged that a muslem was thought a bomber.  I'm outraged that "Well we all know it's not, and he says it's not, but it scared one admittedly non expert mouth breather so "cuff 'em, Dano!"" seems to be the order of the day.

I'm a little concerned that I need to start judging what I do based on what the most hysterical idiot I can imagine might think.  I'm putting a powered sub in my truck.  Black box with blinky lights and wires going in and out of it.  It even weighs enough to be a bomb.  When I go on federal property should I be worried about hoaxing some GS-5 secretary?*

*I already think it's bullshit FL won't let me have this. What fainting nancy decided that was a "hoax" mine?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2015, 06:09:23 PM »
They either thought it was a bomb, or they didn't.

If they didn't , the kid shouldn't have been punished. Trolling or not.

If they did, then they failed like hell in evacuating the school and getting students out of there.

The idea of criminalizing an object because it LOOKS like something else, especially when the person involved says over and over that it ISNT, is not acceptable to me.

Nor should it be to anyone who values liberty.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2015, 06:25:02 PM »

Also - Ron, condemning the kid because his father's supposedly liberal because he's Muslim?  Not really good.  You have a point how this could be classical school administration over-reaction, independent of any anti-muslim feelings.

Actually my point was how the left can't have it both ways.

Would you mind pointing out what I said that condemns the child, the father or Muslims?  

Implicit in my comment is that this ranks up there with pop tarts bitten into the shape of a gun.

Or is it somehow impolite to point out the obvious (politically active Muslims being one of the lefts many grievance groups)?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:10:07 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2015, 06:51:20 PM »

Did he plug it in in his backpack? What website is your source?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2015, 06:52:45 PM »
If he was trolling showing it to his engineering teacher and telling him it was a clock was an odd way to do it

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

griz

• friend
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2015, 07:28:09 PM »
I don't know if anybody knows about geocaching, but it's using a GPS to find small containers someone else hides.  But people are so conditioned to assume that anybody or anything out of the ordinary is a threat, that more than once a geocache gets called in as a bomb scare.  Even though it may not look like a bomb, the typical police response is to call the bomb squad.  I don't know if it's bureaucratic inertia, the temptation to call it training, or just an excuse to "do something", but the cache often gets destroyed.   The kid in the right of this picture is holding the cache which later got reported and blown up by the bomb squad.  Yes, it's a medicine bottle, so it doesn't have to be very big to be considered a problem.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Texas 14-year-old arrested for homemade clock that looked like a bomb
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2015, 07:44:27 PM »
Did he plug it in in his backpack? What website is your source?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/09/15/student-detained-police-mistake-clock-fake-bomb/72348060/

[Quote ] According to Irving police, Ahmed's case contained a digital clock that the student had taken apart and rearranged. Police said the student had the briefcase in his English class, where he plugged it into an electrical outlet and it started to make noise.[/quote]

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
I don't know if anybody knows about geocaching, but it's using a GPS to find small containers someone else hides.  But people are so conditioned to assume that anybody or anything out of the ordinary is a threat, that more than once a geocache gets called in as a bomb scare.  Even though it may not look like a bomb, the typical police response is to call the bomb squad.  I don't know if it's bureaucratic inertia, the temptation to call it training, or just an excuse to "do something", but the cache often gets destroyed.   The kid in the right of this picture is holding the cache which later got reported and blown up by the bomb squad.  Yes, it's a medicine bottle, so it doesn't have to be very big to be considered a problem.

Never mind that, the girl second from the right has a SWORD AND AXE!!!!!!!!!!  Sweet Jeebus!!!!!! She'll slaughter a school. Call the cops!

• friends
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2015, 08:48:23 PM »
It's a 8 inch long pencil case.
http://www.amazon.com/Vaultz-Locking-Pencil-Inches-VZ01479/dp/B001BXZ28K

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2015, 10:00:42 PM »
More of the Mohamed Family's Zany Sense of Humor: Twin Towers Transportation Corp.
http://www.unz.com/isteve/more-of-the-mohamed-familys-zany-sense-of-humor-twin-towers-transportation-corp/

Aldean Mohammed is Mo-Mo's brother and Jihadibombhoaxer's uncle.

“Twin Towers Transportation Corporation” …

Now it could be that this is a different Aldean Mohamed.

But it refers to North Texas and to Sudanese, both of which check out.

And “Twin Towers” just sounds like this extended family’s wacky, edgy sense of humor, like participating as the defense in Rev. Terry Jones’ trial of whether Koran should be burned, running for president of Sudan while living in America, or constructing a shoddy mock-up of a briefcase bomb not yet loaded with explosives.

Ha-Ha, so funny.

We are being played for chumps. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton