Author Topic: Best sports car/roadster under $40K? READ MY POST FIRST  (Read 9135 times)

Smith

• friend
Best sports car/roadster under $40K? READ MY POST FIRST
« on: April 25, 2005, 03:46:45 AM »
Well, my contract ended early and I wound up cancelling my order for my M3.  Being the prudent guy I am, I lowered my standards a little and started shopping the $30K range.  I was just about the pull the trigger on a Honda S2000 when I realized I had a little more to play with, so now I'm looking in the $40K range, but $40K is my self-imposed LIMIT, completely optioned out.  Looking for either a sports car or a roadster type and would VERY much prefer new.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 04:07:19 AM »
I would probably still recommend an S2000.  

I'm not sure what a Boxster costs these days; I think they're well over $40k, otherwise I would suggest that as an alternative, depending on whether you're running around at 9/10s (S2000) or slightly more laid back cruising (Boxster).

Caveat:  I haven't driven either, I'm just going by lots and lots of reviews I've read.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 04:50:21 AM »
Everything thing I've seen and read puts the Honda just behind the Boxster.  It's one of those things that should goe into the most bang for the buck category.  My buddy's girlfriend has one and he drives it more than his own car.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

onions!

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 05:12:14 AM »
You might have to bag a lunch & eat ramen noodles for a few weeks but hey,its a shark!

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/Z4/30i

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 05:16:15 AM »
And, I think you can get a Lotus Elise in that price range if you want something really cutting edge:

http://www.lotuscars.com/

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 07:11:33 AM »
Yeah, so what's wrong with the 2005 Mustang?  I had the good fortune to be asked to test drive one of these for a focus group (getting PAID to drive four sportscars over the course of an afternoon.  Big fun...).  Nice handling, good engine...  The interior came off as a bit "too hip for the room" (weird retro dashboard) but all in all, a nice ride.  And, not too expensive.  

I'd buy one myself, but my current Mustang GT has low mileage and is in great shape.  It also has the unmistakable advantage of being paid for...
To the stars!

...has left the building.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 07:16:03 AM »
If you're set on a coupe RWD as you were before, I would look long and hard at the 350Z or G35 Coupe. Either of which will smack a Boxster around. With a few performance accessories, you could spend $32K-ish on the car and then get some basic performance upgrades and still have some spare change.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 07:22:37 AM »
The pontiac solstice is coming now...

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 08:05:04 AM »
I love the looks of the Solstice.  However, I  drove a friends Pontiac Fiero in the 80s, and while it was a fabulous looking car it didnt drive like a sports car at all.  It felt like a full-size car to me.

I hope Pontiac does better this time around.  I guess Im pessimistic because of the string of great-looking cars Detroit has come out with in the last five years or so that were nothing special performance-wise.  Im thinking Ford Thunderbird, Plymouth Prowler, Chevrolet SSR, and the little Mercury brought out fifteen years ago to compete with the Miata.  Some of these cars they had the nerve to charge mid-30s for, too.

Smith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 09:05:19 AM »
Daniel, I just drove a G35 (like 20 minutes ago).  Wow.  I really like that car.  I am going to see if I can locate a 2203 oe 2004 M3 in my price range and with low miles, but I don't think I will...unless my friendly wholesaler friend finds one for me.  Otherwise, that G35 is getting my attention.  

The dealer wants me to take it for a 96 hour test drive...I think I might.

...has left the building.

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 12:59:01 PM »
You might be able to find an '03 M3 in your price range with 3X,XXX miles...take the G35 for the 96 hour test drive first though. I know you've driven the M3 quite a bit and an extended test drive might help you to decide that even though the G35 doesn't have the M-lineage pedigree, it is a hell of a car. And like I said, a few mods later and you would have a unique sports car that is fast and luxurious.

P5 Guy

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 01:16:38 PM »
Mazda MX5 Miata and trick it out yourself.

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 04:11:33 PM »
How about a 2005 Mazda RX8? (or is it 7?)

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 05:08:20 PM »
RX-8 is a mighty fine car, although I can't get used to the front end design.  Sad

I consider it and the G35 (another car I admire) to be outside of the thread starter's original stated requirements.

Black92LX

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 06:57:44 PM »
Mustang no doubt. 04 Cobra or wait for the 2006 Shelby GT500
If you are going to buy a sports cars buy a sports car. S2000 blah by no means impressive, a Boxster is a Porsche with panties.
get that American Muscle you will never regret it
But my dreams they aren't as empty
As my conscience seems to be
I have hours, only lonely
My love is vengeance
That's never free

nico

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 08:56:08 PM »
if by "sports car" you mean it can't have any practicality, like a useable back seat or a decent sized trunk, then I'd look at a used M3 or a Mustang.  If you want performance and don't mind a sedan, you should take a serious look at the EVO or WRX STi.

Schuey2002

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 10:01:05 PM »
What Daniel said!

Get a low-mileage '03 or '04 BMW M3. Then spend any extra jack leftover on speed mods/ and or a killer sound system for it.. Smiley

kayak bum

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 12:30:54 AM »
Very happy with  my '04 Mach I; under 30K with tweaks; unique, but only if folks know what they are looking at.

nico

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2005, 05:02:36 PM »
I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but a C5 Corvette Z06 (2002 and newer make 405hp, 2001 makes 385) will blow the doors off anything under $40k in a straight line and in turns, and they can get over 20mpg on the highway.  The interior won't be quite as nice as in the M3, but it's more than nice enough for daily driving, and if you were going to buy an S2, the suspension won't be too stiff to you.  Also, aftermarket parts are readily available and the LS6 is more than durable enough to be daily driven at ~450 whp.