Author Topic: Bought a few LED lightbulbs  (Read 15363 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Bought a few LED lightbulbs
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 08:32:02 AM »
They do have LED grow lights that are apparently quite effective, but you're correct, they're skewed to the red/blue side. If you look on Amazon at them you'll see in the pictures that they actually look violet.

I've replaced virtually all of the CFLs and standard incandescent bulbs in my house with LEDs, and so far am extremely happy. I have 3 60-watt LEDs in my living room in three fixtures, and am quite happy with the light that they put off.

Now that Philips has the slim line in 75 watt, I may put one of those in the table lamp, and leave the 60 watt bulbs in the two torchiers on either side of the room.

I'm also considering replacing the 4" T-12 bulbs in the overhead fixture in the kitchen with LEDs.

In my bedroom I have a 60 watt in the lamp on my side of the bed, and a 40 watt on the other side, which I have on a timer.

My bathroom is a combination of 60 watt LED and 100 watt CFLs. I'll replace the CFLs with LEDs when they finally crap out.

I also have 3 ceiling fixtures in the halls which are currently circuline bulbs. I'm considering scrapping those for LEDs, as well, especially the one in the upstairs hall. It's got that nasty sterile white light going.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2015, 10:12:14 AM »
I'm also considering replacing the 4" T-12 bulbs in the overhead fixture in the kitchen with LEDs.

I'd go with something like this. They install pretty quickly.

http://unvlt.com/pdf/literature/brochures/EVERLINE-Retrofit-Kit.pdf

There are retrofit kits out there for the circlines, too, though I'm not too familiar with them. Anything would have to be better than circline fluorescents, though. (My bad experience with circlines comes out here.) You could even look into installing a medium base socket, and plugging in an LED lamp, if that would fit.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 12:53:02 PM »
Are those direct install or ballast bypass?

I'd rather go with direct install just to get around having to muck with the fixtures.

And I didn't know there were circline replacements.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2015, 02:20:30 PM »
Ballast bypass is better in the long run, or at least from what I've experienced. Better by far would be fixture replacement. If you have plain 2 or 4 lamp units the price on LED-specific fixtures has dropped to where it's almost the same as four (quality) replacement lamp assemblies.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 02:59:39 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2015, 02:33:38 PM »
Are those direct install or ballast bypass?

I'd rather go with direct install just to get around having to muck with the fixtures.

And I didn't know there were circline replacements.

The ULT units have a driver that installs in place of the ballast, and the two LED strips/tubes run off of the driver. It also bypasses the sockets, as the LEDs are just screwed directly onto the sheet metal.

Like Brad says, the direct-replacement LED tubes are a little pricey at this point. They also require you to replace the ballast, when it goes down. Most of those are for T8 ballasts, anyhow.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2015, 02:38:59 PM »
Hum...

Maybe I'll just hang off on that for awhile, then. The kitchen fixture was a cheapie, and when it goes I'll either replace it with a dedicated LED unit, or I'll just replace it with another cheapie fluorescent.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2015, 02:55:48 PM »
You could also look at changing them to T8. You could probably find 2 or 4-lamp T8 ballasts for around $20, and then your only other expense is the new lamps. You could at least save a few watts that way.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2015, 03:10:11 PM »
Lithonia has a decent selection of plain 4' surface-mount fixtures at attractive prices. Saw a 2-lamp style unit at Home Despot last week priced at $125-ish.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:53:11 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2015, 08:40:36 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2015, 08:41:14 PM »
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2015, 09:42:02 AM »
Lithonia has a decent selection of plain 4' surface-mount fixtures at attractive prices. Saw a 2-lamp style unit at Home Despot last week priced at $125-ish.

Brad

Hum... Something from Lithonia looks like it's going to be the winner when I get around to replacing the kitchen lights. The ballast is starting to get a bit soft, so it's a question of how long I want to keep flicking the switch.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2015, 01:56:41 PM »

Anyone have LED suggestions for unheated/uncooled garage? Nothing but tube lighting, which doesn't survive winters well at all.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2015, 02:10:43 PM »
Anyone have LED suggestions for unheated/uncooled garage? Nothing but tube lighting, which doesn't survive winters well at all.

Looking for replacement of the tube lighting or something different?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2015, 03:17:16 PM »
One thing I've come to recommend for upgrading to LED lighting - you should seriously consider changing the fixture.

Each lighting technology is different, and has it's own strengths and weaknesses.  Putting an 'adapter' bulb in is just a non-optimal compromise, running the lighting technology in a way not best suited for it's strengths.

I'll do a brief rundown on the 'top 3':
Incandescent:
heat tolerant and indifferent to cold - you don't need to keep it cool(actually, hotter is better)
produces lots of heat - you need to insulate the fixture
Natural shape is a globe
Omnidirectional by nature
Relatively high failure rate, so a fixture where it's easy to change bulbs is best.
Doesn't require any support electronics
Dimming:  pretty much any way you like, but becomes less energy efficient the more you turn it down.

Flourescent:
Not heat tolerant - A fixture that exhausts heat is best
doesn't like the cold.
doesn't produce lots of heat - much more efficient
Natural shape is a tube
Mostly omnidirectional.  When in tube form it tends to distribute light better than a single globe
Lasts far longer, on average, than Incandescent(~10X).  Ergo, more trouble when replacing lights is acceptable.  
Does need electronics - seperate ballasts and bulbs is more economical in all but the smallest fixtures.  
Dimming is complex.

LED
Not heat tolerant, but doesn't mind cold
Even more energy efficient than Flourescent, but still needs to dump it's heat.
Natural shape is a flat spot.
Functions most naturally as a flood.  
Normally requires support electronics, though they are normally much simpler than a ballast for flourescent light.  On the high end you have a current controlled power supply, on the bottom end a resister and enough LEDs to act as their own half-bridge rectifier.
Lifespan double that of even FL.  At this point, considering the fixture part of the package isn't out of place.
Dimming:  If designed to handle it, relatively straight forward, and the curve for energy:light is pretty much flat.  Halve the energy = more than half the light(yes, they get more energy efficient the lower you run them).

Don't get me wrong, there are some great 'adapters' out there.  But you're looking at increased expense and reduced efficiency by trying to fit an LED or FL into a fixture designed for Incandescent.  You tend to 'insulate' Incandescent bulbs in order to keep them from burning nearby materials.  You want to do the opposite with the other technologies.  There's also the question of where the support electronics live - whether right by the light, or off a bit where they can radiate their own heat.  

Taking a big fixture and stuffing a couple LED 'bulbs' in there is a compromise.  I have a fixture with a cheap board with the LEDs mounted right on it.  It cost less than buying LED bulbs for the old fixture.  It has massive room to dissipate heat, the electronics are seperate from the LEDs, so the heat from both aren't piling up together, and it's taking advantage of LED directionality to throw all the light 'down' as opposed to up right into the fixture(where, if you're lucky, there's a reflector to direct the light back down again).  Less waste.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:45:08 PM by Firethorn »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2015, 03:38:47 PM »
^ Thanks, Firethorn! I needed that. 

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »
What about fire?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »
The downside of the LED fixture is that the driver may fail, and need replacement. Which is not so bad if you can find the driver, and it doesn't cost too much. Unfortunately, an LED driver is not a standardized part, in the way that a fluorescent ballast is. So you may find yourself changing the fixture again, or paying a lot of cash for a new driver (if you can find one).

So, at this point, I wouldn't likely buy any LED fixtures for my house. Given the choice, I'd rather buy medium-base LED bulbs to upgrade fixtures currently using incandescent or screw-in fluorescent. The driver is built in, and if it fails, I can buy another LED bulb, which will be better and cheaper than the first one.

The compromise between these two approaches, especially for garden-variety fixtures like the common 4' fluorescent tube fixture, is to use a driver-and-LED-strip retrofit kit from an established manufacturer. That way, I stand a better chance of finding a replacement driver.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2015, 07:29:49 PM »
That's very useful information, a first for you...   :rofl:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2015, 07:45:30 PM »
Looking for replacement of the tube lighting or something different?

Entire fixture, I'd think. And definitely going LED for garage. Probably inside the house too. Good efficiency and I can afford the initial costs.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2015, 08:15:51 PM »
The downside of the LED fixture is that the driver may fail, and need replacement. Which is not so bad if you can find the driver, and it doesn't cost too much.

Then I'm out the price of ~2 LED bulbs if I have to replace the entire fixture.  Don't forget that the 'driver' for a LED is basically a regulated DC power supply - and with the LEDs being apart from the PS, neither is getting that much in the way of killing heat.

The LED bulbs, while easier to replace(maybe), are actually more likely to fail, especially if your fixture is designed to contain heat.

Unfortunately, an LED driver is not a standardized part, in the way that a fluorescent ballast is. So you may find yourself changing the fixture again, or paying a lot of cash for a new driver (if you can find one).

Even if they make them replaceable, wear on the LEDs put on until it failed might make replacement not a good bargain compared to simply buying another new fixture; by the time it fails it's replacement might be standardized.

The driver is built in, and if it fails, I can buy another LED bulb, which will be better and cheaper than the first one.

The same can be said of my fixture.

The compromise between these two approaches, especially for garden-variety fixtures like the common 4' fluorescent tube fixture, is to use a driver-and-LED-strip retrofit kit from an established manufacturer. That way, I stand a better chance of finding a replacement driver.

I'll note that rewiring a fluorescent light fixture isn't a bad option, especially since it's designed to have a ballast anyways, and thus has a spot for electronic drivers to go. 

But if you're replacing a bedroom light fixture and not a kitchen/garage one...

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2015, 09:22:15 PM »
Started looking for some surface-mount LED light fixtures to replace the 10" square recessed incandescent fixtures (with glass drop-down diffusers) in my basement.  It's kind of a low ceiling and I'm kinda tall, so something with a "cloud" type shade is probably best because it will hug the ceiling better and won't have a stud in the middle sticking down for me to run into.

I've found some 11" round fixtures that might work, but they won't cover the hole.  15" round would cover the hole but won't fit (exposed beams in the way)
11" or 12" square would be perfect.  So I start looking...  In round fixtures I can get warm white, but the square ones all seem to be "bright white" or "cool white" (pretty much the same thing, 4000K)  That's a deal killer.

I could put medium-base LED lamps in the existing fixtures but that would be very inefficient -- I'll lose almost half the light.  (that's what I'm doing now with 22W fluorescents, and it's not very bright.)

I might just say "F! it" and patch the holes with untaped and untextured and unpainted sheetrock, and put bare bulb fixtures in.

I wonder if I should be shopping the commercial electric and lighting suppliers instead of HD, Lowe's, Menard's, Amazon, etc.
"It's good, though..."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2015, 09:48:32 PM »

If you've already got fluorescent tube fixtures I'd just drop in LED "tubes" and bypass the ballasts.  The LEDs are going to have no problem with the temp range where FL and CFL does. 

You could get more creative but by the first the time LED tubes actually die we should be a good decade or so ahead in LED lighting.  Then you can buy the fixtures with the built in drivers optimized for LED and all that jazz.

Just my two cents.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2015, 09:49:21 PM »
What about fire?

While I understand your nostalgia for this method we've all, generally, moved on.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2015, 10:01:57 PM »
What about fire?
Only if you use the right fuel.