Author Topic: The Martian  (Read 9592 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: The Martian
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2016, 12:11:35 PM »

That was Journey to the Far Side of the Sun.  Made in 1969 by the same people who did the old marionette shows like Thunderbirds, Fireball XL-5, and Captain Scarlet.  Roy Thinnes (from The Invaders)  starred as an astronaut who went on a mission to the opposite planet .... where everything was "opposite."  The human body was a "mirror image,"  writing and printing was "backwards."  When the people there tried to rebuild a spaceship to help Thinnes' character return to his orbiting "mothership" a question arose as to whether electrical connections were also backwards (they shoulda used AC power ;/ ), but I've forgotten what the conclusion of that conumdrum was :angel: .   It's on DVD.
Not bas special effects in the movie. 

I remember it under the alternate release title "Doppelganger".
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2016, 01:51:36 PM »
I remember it under the alternate release title "Doppelganger".
I just remember one of the issues being that everyone wanted to know why he finished his mission in half the time and he didn't know at first.  I think they thought he was crazy.  I am not sure it was good enough to go find it to watch.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

birdman

• friend
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2016, 07:53:32 PM »

That was Journey to the Far Side of the Sun.  Made in 1969 by the same people who did the old marionette shows like Thunderbirds, Fireball XL-5, and Captain Scarlet.  Roy Thinnes (from The Invaders)  starred as an astronaut who went on a mission to the opposite planet .... where everything was "opposite."  The human body was a "mirror image,"  writing and printing was "backwards."  When the people there tried to rebuild a spaceship to help Thinnes' character return to his orbiting "mothership" a question arose as to whether electrical connections were also backwards (they shoulda used AC power ;/ ), but I've forgotten what the conclusion of that conumdrum was :angel: .   It's on DVD.
Not bas special effects in the movie.  

<based on seeing it -once- 25yrs ago, combined with a memory that is...well, see below>
The conclusion is he dies.
The scientists at Planet X don't realize the polarity issue (neither does idiot astronaut), and when his "new" (hell, let's call it Levo-rotary") pod docks, there is a short at the mis-polarized interface return fails.
IIRC, the counnection was in the nose, and the front of the capsule looked vaguely Gemini-like.

Yeah...my brain is weird.

Also, if he had used a lightning connector or USB-C, he'd have been fine.  Even with DC.  

Correction!  I was WAY off, it looked like a lifting body, not a Gemini.  My bad.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2016, 11:39:47 PM »
<based on seeing it -once- 25yrs ago, combined with a memory that is...well, see below>

Correction!  I was WAY off, it looked like a lifting body, not a Gemini.  My bad.

Sigh... Not nearly enough fuel anywhere in that ship to go halfway around the sun into orbit around Earth2 from Earth1 etc. And zero radiators.  =(
I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2016, 12:24:41 AM »
Sigh... Not nearly enough fuel anywhere in that ship to go halfway around the sun into orbit around Earth2 from Earth1 etc. And zero radiators.  =(

No deflectors, no phasers, no photon torpedoes...... [popcorn] [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2016, 02:26:18 AM »
No deflectors, no phasers, no photon torpedoes...... [popcorn] [tinfoil]

"Damn yokels can't even tell a transport ship ain't got no guns on it. "
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2016, 07:21:52 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2016, 07:59:36 AM »

You might want to think about that first statement a bit from an orbital mechanics standpoint....
I'll wait.

As for the second statement...Google liquid drop radiators. :)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2016, 11:26:14 AM »
You might want to think about that first statement a bit from an orbital mechanics standpoint....
I'll wait.

As for the second statement...Google liquid drop radiators. :)

Another thing .... IIRC the vehicle in the photo was only the last stage of what was like a Saturn V - like rocket.   
I have the movie on DVD .... I'm gonna have to watch it again and see all the stuff I've forgotten. [popcorn]

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero