Author Topic: What military conflict would look like between Russia and the US  (Read 3290 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/2015/10/05/us-russia-vladimir-putin-syria-ukraine-american-military-plans/73147344/

Russia clearly has some areas of military competence that equal or exceed that of the Western powers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: What military conflict would look like between Russia and the US
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:05:54 PM »
Not likely to happen, despite our worthless & feckless POTUS and the nearly-insane neocon faction that hateshateshates ethnic Russians with a passion.

In one way, we are somewhat blessed by BHO's supine posture in the face of world events.  He was not willing to go to war with Russia over the issue of Russia's law against recruiting minors into homosexual liaisons, thus avoiding World War G.  There were plenty in the NYT and elsewhere that wanted to go hammer & tongs after Russia in Ukraine and elsewhere because of the sainted sodomites.  Presidential ennui FTW.

The USA has reduced its capability quite a bit against a peer foe, given:
1. 14 year emphasis on counter-insurgency.
2. Reduction in armed forces.
3. Reduction has been in the useful personnel.  Careerist bureaucratic barnacles are now a larger proportion of total.

Where we are likely to see these chickens come home to roost is in east asia, where the red chinese have so many assets to call on, we would likely be hard-pressed to control the air space and littoral bits unless we were willing to lose a couple fleet carriers, our bases in guam, okinama, japan, & S korea.  And by "lose" those bases, I mean rubbled.  Just look at the open sources.  Even if a large proportion of Red Chinese systems go tits up, there are plenty left to do the job.  Our allies need to make the swallowing of their territory an unpleasant prospect for the red chinese.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »

Russia has a distinct strategic advantage that they don't care as much about international opinion. They do not have to play "nice guy" on the international stage. They don't do nation building, or not remotely to the same extent we do. They also have a stranglehold on much of Europe with natural gas pipelines. Their economy is still shaky, however. And relying on fossil fuel is profitable, but has sharp pricing curves.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 02:48:04 PM »
Russia has a distinct strategic advantage that they don't care as much about international opinion . . .
And don't forget, Russia has a leader who is NOT trying to diminish the country he's leading.

I wish we could say the same . . .  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 03:15:38 PM »

That will kick things off right sporty.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 03:56:31 PM »
No mention that Russia has had a Naval base at Tartus, Syria for decades. Russia's interest in Syria's stability is news how?
I laugh at the mention that Russia and the US will be in a proxy war taking different sides... Russia supports Assad, US supports ISIS, err,the kurds, err.....????
I'm glad the Russians are there- US meddling in N. Africa and Syria has been a disaster, pretty much like everything else obama has touched.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 04:09:37 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 04:09:59 PM »
No mention that Russia has had a Naval base at Tartus, Syria for decades. Russia's interest in Syria's stability is news how?
I laugh at the mention that Russia and the US will be in a proxy war taking different sides... Russia supports Assad, US supports ISIS, err,the kurds, err.....????
I'm glad the Russians are there- US meddling in N. Africa and Syria has been a disaster, pretty much like everything else obama has touched.

No, we support the OTHER terrorists, not ISIS. Clearly we don't support the Kurds or we'd be giving them actual support. Or weapons. Or training. Or something other than whatever the other factions the the area that hate them want them to have.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 04:52:52 PM »
No, we support the OTHER terrorists, not ISIS. Clearly we don't support the Kurds or we'd be giving them actual support. Or weapons. Or training. Or something other than whatever the other factions the the area that hate them want them to have.
Yeah, we supported the Muslim Brotherhood, amongst others- weren't these groups absorbed or morphed into ISIL/ISIS, or did the Commander in Chief *spit* just consider them the 'JV team' until they hoovered up a large amount of US weapons, tanks, and other vehicles?

Speaking of which, it can get sporty if Russia accidentally attacks an american convoy that they confuse for ISIS...

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »
I tend to agree on that last.  I think Obama is supporting all the wrong people in the middle east. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be unhappy if we just pulled out of the entire Middle East and stopping supporting anyone (or trying to stifle them).  Put that effort into make sure we don't have to buy any more oil from that area. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 09:57:42 PM »
How many of us are Cold War vets?  We studied a lot of Warsaw Pact weapons and strategy back in the late 80s/early 90s.  Given that my Soviet counterparts have gone on to become Russian senior officers, and their stagnant economy hasn't lent bto massive military research and development, I suppose they will run the same doctrine.  Armor and infantry in overwhelming numbers.  Possible airborne assaults on strategic locations to pave the way for the armor and mobile infantry.  Massive artillery support.  Our key then was superior tech and skill to match their numbers.  A-10 and Apaches backing armor and infantry.  Only issue...nukes.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 10:01:30 PM »
Russian army not nearly as big as it used to be.  But, nukes.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 07:58:17 AM »
Russian army not nearly as big as it used to be.  But, nukes.

And, according to the article, is moving away from conscripts and towards a more professional force. 1/3 of the current members are not drafted, are well-trained and well-equipped (according to the article, I repeat.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 07:59:22 AM »
Yeah, we supported the Muslim Brotherhood, amongst others- weren't these groups absorbed or morphed into ISIL/ISIS, or did the Commander in Chief *spit* just consider them the 'JV team' until they hoovered up a large amount of US weapons, tanks, and other vehicles?

Speaking of which, it can get sporty if Russia accidentally attacks an american convoy that they confuse for ISIS...

No it won't.  Obama will apologize for the convoy getting in the way of the Russian bombs and such.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 08:55:43 AM »
No it won't.  Obama will apologize for the convoy getting in the way of the Russian bombs and such.

True.
Obama will meet Putin and give him another limp wristed hand shake.

Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »
And don't forget, Russia has a leader who is NOT trying to diminish the country he's leading.

I wish we could say the same . . .  =(

Matter of debate. Putin isn't as competent as folks believe. Or rather, he probably is, but his cronies are picked mostly for their loyalty to him rather than their competence. Which yes, can and does diminish Russia. The oligarchs support Putin, and Putin supports them. They do what they do for themselves, not necessarily Russia as a whole. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTS_Index

How many of us are Cold War vets?  We studied a lot of Warsaw Pact weapons and strategy back in the late 80s/early 90s.  Given that my Soviet counterparts have gone on to become Russian senior officers, and their stagnant economy hasn't lent bto massive military research and development, I suppose they will run the same doctrine.  Armor and infantry in overwhelming numbers.  Possible airborne assaults on strategic locations to pave the way for the armor and mobile infantry.  Massive artillery support.  Our key then was superior tech and skill to match their numbers.  A-10 and Apaches backing armor and infantry.  Only issue...nukes.

The number of Abrams is dropping, we're phasing out the A-10, we've slashed artillery to the bone, Apaches are getting a bit long in the tooth. "Infantry" is doing well, even if not all the infantry hold that title. A lot of people were doing the work in Iraq and Afghanistan. But that's counterinsurgency work, not mechanized infantry work.

We're strong on sea and air power, land...  eh. Russia is countering that by focusing on land and anti-stealth technology. We could probably own the seas against Russia. Air, probably not. They have an extremely strong anti-air capacity. Aside from nukes, they can't threaten us directly. But we can't face them on land. If Russia wanted to occupy all the countries they border, we would be hard pressed to stop them even if we were willing to fight Russia.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.