Author Topic: Enough of cornbread, what of biscuits?  (Read 3109 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Enough of cornbread, what of biscuits?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 08:44:32 PM »
The crispy, floury kind are perfect for eating with sausage gravy.

The fluffy kind are good for eating with jam, honey, etc.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 10:13:25 PM »
Bisquick

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 10:32:17 PM »
Bisquick

Bisquick is really nothing more than premixed bread flour and baking powder. Easy to do on your own, but not really worth the extra bag of flour sitting in the pantry.

Real trick to good bisquits is not to overmix. Too many people, myself included, grow up with the "gotta get stir out all the lumps" school of baking. Not so. Mix gently then walk away. The lumps will hydrate out. Alton Brown has an excellent segment on old-fashioned bisquits. Youtube it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 10:56:38 PM »
Butter?  ???

:facepalm:

Crisco is bad enough, but butter?  Really?

The Best Biscuit in Richmond http://wric.com/2015/08/14/the-best-of-richmond-2015-the-best-biscuit-sandwich/ uses lard.

Then they go and screw it up will all sorts of tutsi-fruitsi stuff on top.  Just stay with the ham or the sausage gravy.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 05:11:03 AM »
Real biscuits have lard damnit. That can have lard AND butter, but damnit they have lard. Buttermilk can be debated, lard can not!
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 05:44:27 AM »
Butter?  ???

The Best Biscuit in Richmond http://wric.com/2015/08/14/the-best-of-richmond-2015-the-best-biscuit-sandwich/ uses lard.

Then they go and screw it up will all sorts of tutsi-fruitsi stuff on top.  Just stay with the ham or the sausage gravy.

stay safe.

Try using ghee (clarified butter). Better flavor than lard, I think.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 08:14:57 AM »
Some of the best homemade biscuits I've ever had had mayonnaise in the mix. I was deer hunting in Kentucky and the owner of the property made biscuits and gravy for us one morning. I watched him make the biscuits and he put a glob of mayonnaise in to the bowl.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 08:16:32 AM »
Tangy, fatty, moisty.  Makes sense. Sort of like using buttermilk.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 09:39:23 AM »
Butter?  ???

stay safe.
I would rather use butter than Crisco.  Don't recall trying lard.  Butter works fine.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 09:42:30 AM »
Bisquick is really nothing more than premixed bread flour and baking powder. Easy to do on your own, but not really worth the extra bag of flour sitting in the pantry.

Real trick to good bisquits is not to overmix. Too many people, myself included, grow up with the "gotta get stir out all the lumps" school of baking. Not so. Mix gently then walk away. The lumps will hydrate out. Alton Brown has an excellent segment on old-fashioned bisquits. Youtube it.

Brad
I haven't made them since, but my Mother was telling me to let the final dough sit for 10 or 15 minutes partly for that reason. 
IMO, bicuit mixes are generally better than any canned biscuit, but fall short of just about any scratch made biscuits. 

I have a milk and baking powder recipe I use which does okay.  My mother uses a buttermilk recipe that I need to get.  The only one I have used had yeast which I hate to mess with. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 09:53:58 AM »
I do mine with flour, a couple dashes of baking powder, dash of baking soda, a little sugar, a little brown sugar, couple of dashes of salt, lots of lard, and enough milk to get a probably more liquid than average consistency to the dough - almost closer to batter. I learned over time that what Brad said is key - no over-mixing or over-folding makes for fluffier biscuits.

The mayo sounds interesting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 09:59:44 AM »
I'll see what I can come up with raiding the other halfs recipe box.

[ar15]
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »
I hate to think what a bunch of New York chefs would call a biscuit, but the article did talk about biscuits being highly personal and a product of what you were raised with.  I think that is very true. 

Similar to stuffing served with Thanksgiving turkey.  I was raised with cornbread stuffing.  I have tasted others before that I can't understand how anyone would eat it. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 12:49:33 PM »
I hate to think what a bunch of New York chefs would call a biscuit, but the article did talk about biscuits being highly personal and a product of what you were raised with.  I think that is very true. 

Similar to stuffing served with Thanksgiving turkey.  I was raised with cornbread stuffing.  I have tasted others before that I can't understand how anyone would eat it. 

If it isn't cooked in the bird it is dressing not stuffing.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 01:22:39 PM »
I like to do Bisquick, but when you get to the last 3-4 minutes, I brush the tops with butter and let it melt in.  If I"m doing savory food (like beef stew), I might sprinkle a little garlic salt on the butter.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 03:26:53 PM »
If it isn't cooked in the bird it is dressing not stuffing.
Whatever you want to call it, I don't care.  I just know my Mother's cornbread "dressing" is as good or better than anything else I have tried.   =D

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 03:34:02 PM »
I used to be able to bake good biscuits from scratch, but enough years without practice and I lost the knack.  I think I'm trying too hard now not to overwork the dough and it actually needs the gluten developed just a little.  The last time I made biscuits that turned out okay, I froze a stick of butter and shredded it with a box grater and use that for the shortening.

Use soft wheat flour like White Lily if you can find it.  Otherwise use self-rising flour because it's softer than all-purpose.  Cake flour might be good...

Frozen biscuits are actually really good. (which is just insulting)

"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »
Biscuits are primarily a southern thing. In the North we really don't have much of a biscuits from scratch culture. Ours is more yeast risen breads and rolls.

That said, I've really come to like biscuits. Cracker Barrel has excellent biscuits.

Mtnbkr has made biscuits using his Grandmother's recipe in the past. Self rising flour, buttermilk, and lots and lots of lard. Damned things are addictive. Hear that, Chris? It's time to make the biscuits!

Not to restart the cornbread wars, but again, that's not a northern thing, and it's certainly not a northern stuffing for turkey. Ours is yeast risen bread stuffing. In my family it's always been bread, sage, some other spices, maybe some hot sauce, copious amounts of black pepper, celery, and onions, all moistened with lots and lots of melted butter.

Since Mom got a bread machine, our stuffing has been made with homemade bread. It used to be white sandwich bread, which was.... ok, but it often got gummy. The coarser homemade bread, with about 1/3rd of it toasted and all of it well dried, gives a much better end texture.

I've had cornbread stuffing, and it just doesn't do it for me. It's good, but it's not what I'm used to, and it's not what I want.

There's also a difference in the gravy. Up north it's primarily a drippings and giblets gravy; the Southern touch seems to be boiled egg. Over the past few years I have adopted one southern touch -- using a roux to thicken it. My family almost always used to use a flour or corn starch and water slurry. It worked, but it took a LONG time to do it and to cook out the raw starch taste. Being precooked, roux thickens and leaves no starchy taste if you don't cook it long enough.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 10:34:29 PM »
I meant to come back to this a month ago and forgot...

Mtnbkr has made biscuits using his Grandmother's recipe in the past. Self rising flour, buttermilk, and lots and lots of lard. Damned things are addictive. Hear that, Chris? It's time to make the biscuits!

I found this article the other day and it inspired me to make biscuit this evening: http://gardenandgun.com/blog/beaten-biscuit-recipe

My grandmother's recipe is very similar except she adds baking powder and uses buttermilk instead of water.  When I made them for dinner tonight, I used Crisco (no lard on hand), buttermilk, and left out the baking powder.  The result was a dense, not very risen biscuit perfect for stuffing with meat or jam (I alternated with thinly sliced steak and fig preserves grown and canned by yours truly).  Rather than beating the dough for 45min, I used the dough hook on our kitchen-aid mixer to work it for a good 5min or so.  Next, I folded and rolled the dough several times before rolling it out a bit thinner than 1/2".  The end result wasn't quite what my grandmother made, but still good and a perfect carrier for meat or jam, an ideal sammich biscuit.  Using fig preserves made it all the more nostalgic (figs, being common in NC, were a common breakfast table item in preserve form).

While eating these biscuits for dinner, I told Thing 1 how my grandmother would fix similar biscuits for breakfast when the family would get together, but would work the dough by hand.  When I went to college near my grandparents' house, they would frequently bring me a large cookie tin full of individually wrapped ham biscuits with her biscuits and local country ham.  I think I'd commit murder for another batch of those. :(

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Enough of cornbread, what of biscuits?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 11:14:39 PM »

While eating these biscuits for dinner, I told Thing 1 how my grandmother would fix similar biscuits for breakfast when the family would get together, but would work the dough by hand.  When I went to college near my grandparents' house, they would frequently bring me a large cookie tin full of individually wrapped ham biscuits with her biscuits and local country ham.  I think I'd commit murder for another batch of those. :(

Chris

"Not guilty by reason of in ham itty."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 11:21:40 PM »
Lard, buttermilk*, salt** and King Arthur self rising flour. That's all you need.

* Make your own buttermilk for biscuits using milk and white vinegar, save the trouble of buying buttermilk and then having it go bad because it just sits there forever.

**Salt because the lard doesn't have any, unlike most butter unless you buy the unsalted.

Pro Tip*

To get a really nice distribution of lard in your biscuits take the amount you are going to use for the biscuits and put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Pull it out and grate it on a box grater and then mix into your flour. You won't have to work it as much to get a good even distribution of the lard.

=D

bob

eta: I see (bunchofletters)bob already mentioned freezing and using a box grater.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:34:11 PM by BobR »

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 11:23:33 PM »

=|

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »
There's also a difference in the gravy. Up north it's primarily a drippings and giblets gravy; the Southern touch seems to be boiled egg. Over the past few years I have adopted one southern touch -- using a roux to thicken it. My family almost always used to use a flour or corn starch and water slurry. It worked, but it took a LONG time to do it and to cook out the raw starch taste. Being precooked, roux thickens and leaves no starchy taste if you don't cook it long enough.

I don't do giblet gravy but when I make gravy other times it always starts out with a roux. Makes it quick and easy.

Man this thread is making me hungry. I feel like frying up some cube steak and making some biscuits and gravy to go along with it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 07:50:17 AM »
* Make your own buttermilk for biscuits using milk and white vinegar, save the trouble of buying buttermilk and then having it go bad because it just sits there forever.

Never had that problem, just make pancakes the next day.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536