Author Topic: Recommend a vacation camera  (Read 3463 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Recommend a vacation camera
« on: October 08, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »
A photographer without a camera. There's some sort of humor in that.

I hope to be going to Sicily in April. I have an old Nikon digital camera, but it doesn't have a removable memory card (I don't think), and it's not high resolution compared to what's available now.

I really don't have a use for a camera anymore, other than quick snaps to post on the internet. I figure I could buy a decent camera used on Ebay, then sell it when I get back.

Any recommendations? I'm not going to spend time waiting for a beautiful scenic shot with the sun just right, but I'd like to have good quality photos.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Recommend a vacation camera
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »
I'd consider a D3200 body that uses the lenses you already have, you should be able to get a new one for under $250. It won't measure up for pro use, but it's more than adequate for your planned use.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
I sold all of my equipment, except for a 15 or 20 year-old Nikon that I used just for scouting locations. I had to buy a tripod recently because I sold all of mine 15 years ago.

I'd want a zoom lens rather than fixed, as I don't want to lug a lot of stuff. Whether it's an integral lens or separate doesn't matter.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 09:25:48 PM »
X100s
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:32:56 PM »
ill look at what I got. Some waterproof point and shoot with good resolution for my cruise. it was like 150 bucks
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 10:00:12 PM »
it was like 150 bucks

Amazing.

I just did some really quick searching of camera recommendations, then checked Ebay. The Nikon D3300 seems to get good reviews, for whatever that's worth. Bodies go for $350 and 18-55 lenses for about the same.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 10:15:33 PM »
I find the 18-55 lens to be lacking in a lot of ways but especially for anything any distance away. Nikon also has a small 55-200 zoom that I just bought on Woot for less than 200 dollars with shipping and tax. It has some pretty good reviews. It is no longer on Woot but I am sure can be found at a comparable price somewhere else.

Between an 18-55 and the 55-200 I don't think there would be much need for any other lenses for casual work.

bob

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 11:09:56 PM »
Are you looking for a "real" camera or a nice point and shoot?

Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Recommend a vacation camera
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 12:45:48 AM »
Are you looking for a "real" camera or a nice point and shoot?
This is an important question.

Assuming you are looking at a dslr id go with one of the Nikon 3xxx cameras. 5xxxx is better enough if you want to spring the extra cash, but the 3xxx are perfectly suitable.

On lenses you obviously won't get the equivalent of a 1000+ lens, but the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses are decent, will give you very good quality pictures, and cover most all your bases for focal length. Personally I'd just get both. Keep in mind these (and the Canon equivalents, if you prefer) are 1.5 crop frame sensors so keep that in mind with how your focal lengths behave.  If you've been out of the game awhile do hit YouTube and familiarize yourself with the features and menus. There's several good channels with extensive overviews on most cameras.

Oh and take advantage of the 30 day free trial and get thee a subscription to Lightroom and Photoshop for post processing. If you keep the gear to ply around its not to bad for the subscription to keep them. And for the love of pie, shoot in raw and convert after your post processing.

If you are looking for point and shoot I haven't looked in awhile, but i liked my Nikon coolpix P&S cameras best.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 01:18:14 AM »
This is an important question.

Assuming you are looking at a dslr id go with one of the Nikon 3xxx cameras. 5xxxx is better enough if you want to spring the extra cash, but the 3xxx are perfectly suitable.

On lenses you obviously won't get the equivalent of a 1000+ lens, but the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses are decent, will give you very good quality pictures, and cover most all your bases for focal length. Personally I'd just get both. Keep in mind these (and the Canon equivalents, if you prefer) are 1.5 crop frame sensors so keep that in mind with how your focal lengths behave.  If you've been out of the game awhile do hit YouTube and familiarize yourself with the features and menus. There's several good channels with extensive overviews on most cameras.

Oh and take advantage of the 30 day free trial and get thee a subscription to Lightroom and Photoshop for post processing. If you keep the gear to ply around its not to bad for the subscription to keep them. And for the love of pie, shoot in raw and convert after your post processing.

If you are looking for point and shoot I haven't looked in awhile, but i liked my Nikon coolpix P&S cameras best.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.

I think mine was a Coolpix I got on sale. the waterproof aspect was awesome when my kid was swimming with dolphins on vacation
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 01:35:46 AM »

I have Adobe Creative Suite CS4 right now, which was no small piece of change. I started doing Photoshop professionally around 1994, and was doing digital in 1998. I know something, although what I know about the cameras is dated. ;) Actually, I never paid attention to the gear. When I needed to buy equipment, I looked at what other photographers were using and how they liked the equipment. 

I want more than a point and shoot, even though that's what I'd use it for 90% of the time or more. When I've gone on vacation in the past, I never spent any time doing serious photography. A busman's holiday, as the Brits call it.

The camera I have now is an old Koolpix. It does a decent enough job for internet photos, but I want more for a once in a lifetime trip like this.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 05:06:24 AM »
In that case I'd go with either a Nikon 3200 or 3300. If you think you'll be wanting to hold onto the camera and get back into it as a hobby, IMO the 5300 or 5500 is a big enough jump to warrant the extra cash. Image quality will be roughly the same 95% of the time though as they have the same sensor. Canon will of course also give you great images if they're more your speed.

Lenses, lots of options. The kit lenses wont stack up to expensive glass, but they will work and give you good quality images. Other option would be a fast prime in 35 or 50 for better quality on your walking around lens, and the 55-200 kit lens for reach. Lots of good do it all lenses in the mid range if you want to break it down to just one lens though, of course all a matter of budget and what you can find used vs new.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 08:03:27 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 09:31:22 AM »
I have an older Nikon coolpix at home.  The main thing I would watch for it recovery time needed before the 2nd picture can be taken.  Not all point-and-shoot cameras are equal though they might be better now than they were a few years ago.

My other thing with travel is portability.  Unless you want to be the guy with a big camera hanging around your neck, make sure whatever you buy is small enough to slide into a pocket.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 09:36:59 AM »
One feature I like with the Nikkor (Nikon) lenses is the Vibration Reduction they have. It is said you can go down about 2 F stops with it and still have clear pictures. I know a lot of my low light pics come out just great.

I normally use kit lenses but when I need something more better I will rent a lens online for a few days. That is what I have done for the last couple of airshows I attended. That way I get to use a very good, expensive lens without putting out the multiple thousands of dollars it takes to own one.

This was taken with a cheap camera (Nikon D60) and a good lens.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 09:39:14 AM »
If you're going DSLR, get whatever (it looks like you're leaning towards Nikon) body you can get a good price on (you might be able to find really cheap D90s by now) and consider renting a quality walking lens for the trip. I highly recommend the Nikon 18-200VR2, I keep that one on my camera probably 80% of the time.

Or shoot - maybe even buy one - I just looked at the price and they're around $200 less now than when they first came out.

Edit: Ugh, Bob beat me to the punch on the renting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 10:00:15 AM »
I have an older Nikon coolpix at home.  The main thing I would watch for it recovery time needed before the 2nd picture can be taken.  Not all point-and-shoot cameras are equal though they might be better now than they were a few years ago.

Funny that recovery time hasn't improved. I was doing a photo shoot about 7 or 8 years ago, using a Phase 1 digital back, which runs about $30 to $40K. I was doing rapid-fire shots of a model, not realizing that the recovery time was shorter than I thought. About half the photos or more didn't capture.

I wonder how much image quality is lost with a range of 18 to 200 on that zoom lens? On rifle scopes there's a slight loss of image quality with wide ranges of magnification, and that used to be the same issue with photographic lenses, too. Probably not enough to notice in tourist snapshots.

As much as I'd like to have a pocket camera, I'd like to have any gains in features or image quality to be had by going to a DSLR. I'll probably be carrying a range bag to hold stuff I need, so the camera could go in there. From what I understand, snatching purses, cameras, etc isn't uncommon for thieves in Italy, although scams and cons are the most common crimes against tourists.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 10:06:54 AM »

I wonder how much image quality is lost with a range of 18 to 200 on that zoom lens? On rifle scopes there's a slight loss of image quality with wide ranges of magnification, and that used to be the same issue with photographic lenses, too. Probably not enough to notice in tourist snapshots.

Here's Ken Rockwell's review of the 18-200:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

He also has some good recommendations regarding other lenses and bodies.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 10:41:23 AM »
Throwing this out there (not a DSLR), I have this camera:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATE7TQA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage that I'd part with for cheap. 

I bought it, lost it, needed a camera for my last Mexico trip and bought a replacement of the slightly newer version.  Then I found it in the truck a few weeks ago.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 11:31:59 AM »
Throwing this out there (not a DSLR), I have this camera:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATE7TQA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage that I'd part with for cheap. 

I bought it, lost it, needed a camera for my last Mexico trip and bought a replacement of the slightly newer version.  Then I found it in the truck a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the offer, 41magsnub. Even though I'll be mostly doing snapshots, I'd like to get more camera than that.

Funny, but between learning Italian and learning how to use a camera, this vacation will be more work than working. ;) (This all assumes that some big expense comes along that uses up the money I have saved for the trip).

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PAH9AJA

Knockoff GoPro. I prefer it over the $500+ GoPro 4 Black I have at the office.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 01:18:55 PM »
I'm very happy with my Olympus EM-5; I bought it last year for a trip to Hawaii.  It's a "Micro 4/3" format, and takes Olympus and Panasonic lenses -- and maybe a few from Leica or Carl Zeiss, not sure about that.  So the camera and lenses are a little smaller and lighter than Nikon.
The engineers must've had fun designing it, cuz at first glance it looks just like a 1970's small 35mm SLR.  It even has a fake pentaprism that houses the image stabilization.  I bought it with a Panasonic lens [it has a plastic barrel and weighs about 2 ounces] then added a Oly 50-150mm zoom lens later.

The image stabilization is remarkable.  You can shoot with a long lens in low light without a tripod and it comes out sharp.

There's a new EM-5 Mk II, but I know nothing about what they new-and-improved.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:12:00 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 02:04:27 PM »

There is some cushion distortion at 18mm, but it's not visible above 35mm. Slight chromatic aberration, but the D3200/3300 will correct for that. There will be issues with lens flare, so get a hood. Not a pro quality lens, but it'll do everything you need pretty good and it's one lens.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams