Author Topic: Recommend a vacation camera  (Read 3464 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Recommend a vacation camera
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »
RKL, I actually had to rent a super-long focal length lens for a job. It was a PITA.

Your photos are beautiful. What camera and lenses do you use?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 11:03:48 PM »
RKL, I actually had to rent a super-long focal length lens for a job. It was a PITA.

Your photos are beautiful. What camera and lenses do you use?

Thanks for the compliment.
I'm using a Canon 70D. I have two lenses, a EF-S 18-135 IS STM and a EF-S 55-250 IS STM. I'm jonesing a little for a Canon 6D for the significant increase in high ISO performance, but in the near term I'm tossing around a couple of different mid length "L" series primes or maybe possibly a big "L" series zoom. I had a chance to hook on a 100-400 zoom for a few shots a couple weeks ago and it gave me a bit of a chubby...http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1092632-REG/canon_9524b002_ef_100_400mm_f_4_5_5_6l_is.html[
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 09:45:45 AM »
Wife bought an entry-level Canon DSLR kit with a stubby and a zoom lens.  It does everything she wants and more.  I would bet dollars to donuts, though, that lots of those come up for sale on ebay super cheap after the budding photographer decided this DSLR thing is too much work.

Canon also has a line of digital cameras that straddle the line between point & shoot and DSLR.  They seem to have better all-around capability than a point & shoot.One of those was the first digital camera we bought.  Still works and is in use.  I use it for when I want to take nicer photos of objects.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 04:39:35 AM »
Wife bought an entry-level Canon DSLR kit with a stubby and a zoom lens.  It does everything she wants and more.  I would bet dollars to donuts, though, that lots of those come up for sale on ebay super cheap after the budding photographer decided this DSLR thing is too much work.
It's mind boggling the number of people who will spend big bucks on a nice DSLR and NEVER switch it off automatic, instead using it as a big over priced point and shoot.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 08:23:54 AM »
I'm planning a 2-3 week trip to Europe for 2017. For a camera I'm going to get the best point and shoot digital camera that can fit in my pocket. Why I've been to Europe in the past and it's nice to be able to move around with out a lot baggage and things attached to your body.

Places are smaller in Europe, cities are more crowded then here, hallways and stairs are narrower, etc. Transportation can be crowded, people are friendly but it is still crowded. It's a pickpockets dream.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 11:37:56 AM »
Places are smaller in Europe, cities are more crowded then here, hallways and stairs are narrower, etc. Transportation can be crowded, people are friendly but it is still crowded. It's a pickpockets dream.

Yeah, a friend of mine had his camera and wallet stolen on a bus in Rome several years ago. I'd have the camera and other stuff in a range bag, and would have the bag secured so nobody could reach into it. If I don't use a money belt, I'll find another way to secure cash, cards, passport (copy) and ID on me.

I never much cared for auto features until I had to do an action shoot for Buell, with the bikes going 30-60 mph around curves. Having a fast motor drive and fast auto focus was essential. I still kept the exposure on manual, as autoexposure could really mess up the shots. This was when I was still using film, and there wasn't any margin for error in exposure.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 11:58:02 AM »
If I don't use a money belt, I'll find another way to secure cash, cards, passport (copy) and ID on me.

I use something similar when traveling abroad or in crowded venues. I wear it between a t-shirt and my shirt, sometimes I tuck it into my waist ban. I only keep change or a small bill or two in my front pocket.

A range bag is easy for pickpockets to unzip and take items out without you noticing, usually its 2-3 people working on person.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75336?productId=1247356&attrValue_0=Black&pla1=0&mr:trackingCode=BAF9B696-B0F0-E211-A497-90E2BA285E75&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=57704169920&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=kwd-133931714720&mr:ploc=1015640&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=133931714720&mkwid=YE0csTVy_dc&pcrid=57704169920&qs=3091367_google&product=0LXN710000&cvosrc=cse.google.0LXN710000&cvo_crid=57704169920
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
I use something similar when traveling abroad or in crowded venues. I wear it between a t-shirt and my shirt, sometimes I tuck it into my waist ban. I only keep change or a small bill or two in my front pocket.

A range bag is easy for pickpockets to unzip and take items out without you noticing, usually its 2-3 people working on person.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75336?productId=1247356&attrValue_0=Black&pla1=0&mr:trackingCode=BAF9B696-B0F0-E211-A497-90E2BA285E75&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=57704169920&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=kwd-133931714720&mr:ploc=1015640&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=133931714720&mkwid=YE0csTVy_dc&pcrid=57704169920&qs=3091367_google&product=0LXN710000&cvosrc=cse.google.0LXN710000&cvo_crid=57704169920

That's what I used when I did the backpacking through Europe thing. Especially good for when you're sleeping on the train. Also good for Mexican airports.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 03:55:42 PM »
I never much cared for auto features until I had to do an action shoot for Buell, with the bikes going 30-60 mph around curves. Having a fast motor drive and fast auto focus was essential. I still kept the exposure on manual, as autoexposure could really mess up the shots. This was when I was still using film, and there wasn't any margin for error in exposure.
Oh I use autofocus for pretty much anything, but I've seen people spend thousands on a DSLR and lenses and then never take the cameras mode out of auto. Mention shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc. and they give you the blank stare as their brain goes into overload melt down.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 05:21:36 PM »
I would just go with one of the kit lenses and a Nikon or Canon a couple gens removed from latest (I'm only familiar with the Canon models). I picked up an 85-200 for my T3i for $180.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 07:56:31 PM »
I would just go with one of the kit lenses and a Nikon or Canon a couple gens removed from latest (I'm only familiar with the Canon models). I picked up an 85-200 for my T3i for $180.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I thought the Nikon D3300 was a couple of generations old. Maybe not.

The kit lens isn't quite long enough for some shots. When shooting 35mm, I seldom used anything longer than 100mm for scenery shots (notice I didn't say "scenic"). An 18-55 and a 55-200 would be more than enough.

The cost isn't as important as getting a good price, so I don't lose a lot when I sell it after I get back.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 12:31:21 AM »
D3300 is current gen of their lower end consumer dslrs. I believe 3200 is the last generation. For the price is just go with the 3300.

Try some of the online places, you may be able to find a different mid range kit lens that will cover what you want without needing two.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 09:01:25 AM »
Canon sells factory refurb stock with full warranty. Nikon may offer the same.
A canon insider told me that it's mostly returned/refused stock or damaged packages. None of it is rebuilt or repaired. About 60% of retail on average.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
I checked out Nikon's refurbished site. They have refurb D3200's for $389. Ebay has them for $318.

Another place to look would be photography forums. I've bought things for less on forums than I could buy anywhere else. OTOH, the only time I've gotten burned was buying from forums. ;)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2015, 02:17:33 PM »
Well, I got a D3200 with an 18-55 and a 55-200 on Ebay for $325. The seller had very good detail photos, and it appears to be in perfect shape. I've been researching prices, and that seemed like a good deal.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2015, 02:19:49 PM »
That sounds like a really good deal. You may get most of that back when you sell at the end of your trip.

bob

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2015, 05:39:29 PM »
Excellent.

If you haven't played with them lately I highly recommend hitting YouTube for a crash course on the menu, features, and such to save yourself a lot of time figuring out the particulars.

I believe tony Northrop on YouTube has one in the 3200, I'm sure others do as well.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2015, 11:54:53 PM »
Got the Nikon in the mall today. Lots of features, but I was disappointed at the quality of construction. I don't know why I should be surprised, as it appears most of the money went into the electronics. On both zooms, turning the barrel on the lens feels like I'm turning a plastic tube against the inside of a plastic tube because, well, that's what it's doing. For the price, I shouldn't expect more.

The last time I used an SLR to any extent was on running shots for Buell. I had an eight frame per second Nikon with all of the gimmicks. Probably weighed about three or four pounds. It would have made for a good blunt weapon. Turning the lens barrel felt like it was on ball bearings.

It was the same thing with the first SLR I bought, back in 1974. That was a bottom of the line Canon. It had a shutter speed dial, an aperture ring on the lens. and a needle inside the viewfinder for a meter. Still, the construction was better.  I think it cost me $75 or something like that when it was new. I still have it, and I was using it right up until film went away.

I've read that the lenses that come with it don't take full advantage of the 24 megapixel resolution. I shot raw and jpeg photos of identical subjects and compared them. There was very little difference.

It's a lot easier to use than I expected. For the Nikon for the Buell shoot, I studied it for two weeks before the job.

This camera should work well for the trip.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2015, 03:00:00 AM »
So should I get a fast prime lens for my Olympus digicam?
Oly sent me a promotional email; they have refurbished 45mm f1.8  lenses (short telephoto, or "portrait lens") on sale for less than $250.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2015, 03:05:21 AM »
What lenses do you currently have?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2015, 03:18:47 AM »
What lenses do you currently have?

Panasonic 14-42mm f3.5, and Olympus 40-150mm f4.0-5.6. 
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2015, 09:23:02 AM »
While not as fast as the 1.8 they aren't too bad and you already have the 45mm focal length covered. My personal preference would be to go long.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2015, 10:17:20 AM »
My personal preference would be to go long.

That's what she said.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2015, 03:19:34 PM »
That's what she said.

A complaint I've never heard...

Samuel Adams

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2015, 08:27:01 PM »
I have a Panasonic Lumix that's a few years old. I bought it solely based on the presence of Leica lenses. Look on eBay for a decent used one and maybe you'll keep it.

I too was a photog years ago and sold out almost everything about thirty years ago. Chemical photography became too much of a pain in the ass since I wasn't doing it all the time and / or for pay. Since I got the digital SLR, I've shot more in the last few years that in the twenty prior to that. I'm slowly learning to use the GIMP too, now that I have a workstation that has the balls to process it.

Russ